Foreigners Suspected For Bangkok 12 Million Baht Mega Heist

webfact

Hardly the great train robbery. Mega Heist. I know the baht is strong, but.........

"Idiot employee leaves money bags unattended in car" would be a better headline

Agree completely obviously the guy was involved. Who has three bags of money each with 5MM, 8MM and 12MM and takes the smallest one into the bank first while leaving the larger ones in the car? Does not make sense.

Yeah, who has substantial business operations and only one bank to do business at in a day? I only have to wire 100-200k Baht a day on occasion but usually 3-4 banks are involved. Thank goodness for Central Festival's bank park and also for online banking. A lot of folks unfortunately prefer the old fashioned way.

:)

There! Happy Now? Western Foreigner. Not South Asian, Pakistani, Indian, Burmese, Cambodian, Filipino, or Mexican.

Warrants issued for foreigners in Bt12 million heist

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Thailand's Criminal Court on Monday approved arrest warrants for two foreigners who smashed a car window in Bt12 million heist in front of Krung Thai Bank headquarters in Nana on Sukhumvit Road on June 4.

Metropolitan police chief Santan Chayanont said that 40-year-old Antonio Raul Gomez, a Spanish national, and his unidentified foreign accomplice were charged with stealing money by damaging personal assets and committing criminal offences.

<cut>

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-06-07

I got a call this morning from a mate in Ranong. He's had a visit from Ranong Immigration. Apparently the accused foreigner stops off in Ranong on his way to Phuket. My mate was shown photos of the guy and 2 Thai women. He was told that the police are visiting all expats in Ranong.

You would be surprised how many people carry large sums of money around like this. In the US, lots of small business folks do regular deposits in the 1-200K range. Not too long ago, we used to have Wall Street 'runners' who would make deliveries sometimes in the 1XXX,XXX range between brokers, etc. There's other examples...

What sounds odd to me is the sheer size of this money. The largest Thai note is only 1000 baht as far as I know.

UPDATE

Spaniard, accomplice wanted for Bt12m in smash-and-grab

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court has approved an arrest warrant for a Spanish man and an accomplice who allegedly smashed a pickup truck's window in Sukhumvit area and got away with Bt12 million in cash, police said yesterday.

Thai Mart Store executive Wirat Panyapreutichote, 44, said the money he kept inside the pick-up truck, parked in front of Krung Thai Bank headquarters in Wattana district, had been stolen while he visited the bank on June 4.

The court approved the arrest warrant for Spanish man Antonio Raul Gomez - who allegedly used a fake passport in renting a Toyota Vios car for the crime - and the unnamed accomplice, said city police chief Pol-Lt General Santhan Chayanon. Both men were reportedly captured on a security camera

Police investigations found that one suspect followed the victim into the building to check on his movements, while his friend smashed the pick-up truck's window to steal the cash, said Police Division 1 Commander Pol Maj General Wichai Sangprapai. The car was found abandoned in Soi Ramkhamhaeng 40, he said, adding that police was also following up on the description of a Thai woman suspected of helping the thieves with directions.

The victim had offered rewards under two scenarios: first, with the thieves' arrest and full return of cash stolen which would earn a Bt2 million; and second, a Bt500,000 reward following their arrest and partial return of the cash.

Anyone providing information leading to the arrest of the thieves could be eligible for a Bt100,000 reward.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-08

During my first year here in Thailand...

I was really amazed of how much money that was handled around by "ordinary" people on the streets. At the bank, waiting for my queue number to turn up, I saw people just stacking up 1,000 Baht big packs at the counter, carried in ordinary bags and even plastic bags. I've never seen that in my life before. But it seems like here in Thailand, people are just carrying around hundred thousand to millions without any concern.

Amazing country indeed...

But it seems like here in Thailand, people are just carrying around hundred thousand to millions without any concern.

Well, until they get robbed.

Remember when I bought my shop / town house here. The seller wanted me to deliver 5 million Baht to his home in order to arrange the house sale. I just said:

"-No way! I meet you inside the bank where the cash will be held behind the counter fully visible to you. The bank clerk will then give you the cash after I received all the house papers signed and verified. Then you can do want you want with the cash. If we don't do it in this way, the deal is off!"

He then agreed to show up at the bank.

Edited by xenomorph

How can a court issue an Arrest Warrant in the false name of a false passport, and an Arrest Warrant in the name of an unnamed accomplice?

I suppose that Thai police need special written instructions from the Court in order to go and investigate an obvious crime. Otherwise they would not know what to do next.

Amazing Thailand

Who has three bags of money each with 5MM, 8MM and 12MM and takes the smallest one into the bank first while leaving the larger ones in the car? Does not make sense. [/quote]

It is stupid of course, but it is far more stupid for one person to carry 24 million in cash in a regular car in the first place. The guy was either a complete idiot or in on the crime, or both.