Moving To Rayong, Thailand In August 2010

Kamtheman26

post-108518-009783800 1275953654_thumb.jpost-108518-009783800 1275953654_thumb.jpost-108518-076586000 1275953447_thumb.jDear All

I am a graduate in teaching and moving to Rayong on 14th August 2010 for my first teaching job at Garden International School. I am of British-Asian- Muslim heritage. Both my parents come from Bangladesh. I am 26 years old single male. I come from a very practising Islamic upbringing and keep a balance between my western, islamic and bangladeshi roots which at times can be very tricky but I feel preveleged in being part of all three nations. Talking of my religious belief, I would like to know if anyone can help my find details of local mosque within Ban Chang? I have been told there are a few mosques in Pattaya but that is quite a way to travel on a regular basis.

As I arrive in Rayong on 14th August 2010, it is in the middle of Ramadan (fasting). I have taken a big step moving to Thailand and leaving my family behind so it would be nice to find a local mosque or Muslims in the community that can help me continue with Ramadan and share good deeds. Ramadan is a time of being with family, sharing, caring and spiritualy being closer to Allah. However, I will miss out a lot during the half of Ramadan without my family and most importantly it will be my first Eid festival without my family. To avoid the loneliness it would be really nice to meet local Muslims or those who understand the Islamic faith (so you understand my belief) to break my fast with them, meet local families and be part of their family/community. I come from a very big family and I am one of eight children so to leave all my family back in England will be really hard.

I am also looking to genuinely meet new people and make new friends both Muslim and non Muslim. I hope whilst in Rayong for the two years, I hope to be part of the community. I enjoy cooking when time allows it and exchange Bangladeshi cusine with food from other culture and traditions. I also enjoy going to the gym, cycling, travelling, praying at the mosques and hacing friends round for dinner.

I would be greatful those reading this topic can give me an insight into living in Rayong. It would be nice to learn and find out more about the food, people, community, life in Rayong, Halal food, eating out, shopping, mobile and landline phone companies, how electricity and gas companies charge, public transport, safety, crime etc etc- I guess i am asking for a "starter kit to living in Rayong".

This is a genuine advert and I therefore expect genuine responds/advice. I am not here to judge anyone by their race, colour, religion. Despite being a Muslim, I respect othet faiths and beliefs.

I look forward to hearing from people and hope to meet new people and make new friends along the way.

Many Thanks

Kam

Ps: my email is **removed** (Easier to email me directly so I can send personal replies back)

Edited by cdnvic
removed email

First of all....you will be living in Ban Chang and not Rayong per se.....Rayong city is 30km away with Pattaya 30km in the other direction

Ban Chang is a large "village"....wouldnt even class it as a town, also heard it described as "800m of Sukhumvit"....its a "working town" not a tourist spot..

There is no "expat" community as such, other than the guys who drink in the bars on the strip. Most expats keep to themselves and are either OAP's or working in the area

Eating out..plenty of restaurants around...how many Halal....no idea.

Gym - only two in the area - one a Purimas Hotel (not sure if its open again, as they had a fire there) and the other at Sukhumthong village

Shopping - very little...TESCO's...thats all....big shopping need to go to Pattaya or Rayong

Public Transport.... :D.....tuk tuks only...you are better with a car

Electricity....guess you will be renting, so the owner will present you with the bill every month, guessing around THB7-9 a unit.....my bill is around THB 2800/month but I am running aircons in a house

Gas ??....assuming natural gas like the UK. ? :D..... Doesnt exist....you want gas..... you buy the bottles

Landline telephone...pray the place you rent has the line already in, and you are only taking over the account, otherwise will be in for a long wait to get a line in

Safety/crime.....Been here 9 years and always felt it was safe...however over last 2 years, there has been a definite increase in break-ins/crime in the area.

Internet access is ok....can get ADSL.

If you have never travelled to Thailand and have only ever been in Europe/UK...be prepared for a bit of Culture shock.... :)

p.s.

Dont shack up with the first girl who smiles at you, and keep your hand your wallet at all times... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

• 2 weeks later...

At the traffic lights at Ban Chang junction there's a sign for a mosque pointing down Thessabarn 42, the road from Sukhumvit to Phala Beach.

Easy enough to find when you get here and know your wway around, unless someone smarter than me can post it from Google Earth or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the tips, they relly have helped me. I am going with an open mind and looking forward to the whole experience-good, bad and ugly. But thank you so much, really appreciate it! x