It Lumpini Night Bazaar Open?

mojaco

I haven't been in Bangkok for about 4 months. Then I heard the Lumpini Park Night Bazaar was being shut down to build something else there. Even if not perhaps the demonstrations closed it? Anyway, does anyone know for certain if most shops are open there? Some friends from another country would like to go there Thursday if it is as interesting as it used to be.

Thanks for any information someone has on this,

Morris

" does anyone know for certain if most shops are open there? Some friends from another country would like to go there Thursday if it is as interesting as it used to be."

Let's take the last sentence first. It is not as interesting as it used, and there are a couple reasons. One-half of the shops are closed, not because of the turmoil, but because the vendors are no longer there. The entire market could be consolidated into only two of the four areas. Another reason: to make up for the people who aren't shopping at the Market, food and beverage vendors have raised their prices dramatically.

I was there last night. Only about one-third to one-half of the stalls were open. Very few customers. It was definitely not the same as it used to be. The entrance to the night market (by the MRT) has already been bulldozed down. According to the vendors I spoke to, many vendors have already moved to new locations. I think a lot of it has to do with the "men in black" incident/fight that occurred at the market a week or two ago.

I was there last night. Only about one-third to one-half of the stalls were open. Very few customers. It was definitely not the same as it used to be. The entrance to the night market (by the MRT) has already been bulldozed down. According to the vendors I spoke to, many vendors have already moved to new locations. I think a lot of it has to do with the "men in black" incident/fight that occurred at the market a week or two ago.

It sounds sorta depressing now then :) Maybe I should take them on a river boat ride or something instead. Sad.

"The entrance to the night market (by the MRT) has already been bulldozed down."

Although the market itself is still there, BKK is allowing development around the market's periphery. The newest building will be at the old entrance. Doi Tung has the dubious distinction of constructing the ugliest building in BKK, next to the market. Appearing as an upside down salad spinner, the blue windows and clumsy white lattice make it unforgivable.

Thursday night we went to the Bazaar because our friends wanted to go there. Other than the 50 yard walk on boards, rocks and whatever to get across the mud field to the bazaar, it was enjoyable for them. Few customers (making walking easy) and we only stayed about 1-1/2 hours and didn't eat at the open air food court. Looked like it was open but hardly any customers. Someone playing guitar on the stage.

So I guess what you are saying that between the bazaar and the MRT exit will be a new shopping mall? Wonderful :) Thailand certainly knows how to destroy any of the charm which is what many tourists come here to see (other than those heading for the beaches and red light district of course). Seen one shopping mall anywhere in the world, seen them all. Of course one could go to the "Old City" (meuang boran) replica and try to imagine what it used to look like I suppose.