My Experience With My Htc Desire Pros And Cons

First I want to let you guys know I've had this phone for a week now and I can say I definetly a satisfied buyer and I'm also a former Iphone 3G user. I just wanted to share my experience so far with this phone.

Pros

1. Live Wallpaper - basically wallpaper thats come to life

2. Internet Tethering built into the phone for free - no need to download any applications for this

3. Disk Drive / USB Drive etc / it will mount on your computer as basically a usb drive if you allow it - no need to download application this is built into the phone also, can drop and drag files, photos, music, etc

4. Google GPS Navigation also built into phone and its free, its not perfect but its free

5. On Ubuntu 10.04 works flawless no problems whatever so ever, disk drive, internet work perfect. at least from my experience. I have not tried internet tethering on windows 7 but disk drive / usb drive works flawless as well. Anyone who runs ubuntu will be happy about a smart phone that works really well with linux - never got my iphone to work with linux this well except as a camera.

6. Not stuck syncing with one computer and being stuck with it like the iphone that only allows syncing with 1 computer. If you want to sync with another you'll have to erase all your apps, photos, music to sync with a new computer.

7. Phone will also charge when you plug it into the computer

8. adobe flash - works fine on many websites not a big deal or requirement to me

9. Camera its 5 Megapixels with flash works pretty good and photos look fine to me

10. Add more memory to your phone just by removing the back cover and putting in a new micro SD card. Supports only up to 32GB

11. Itunes Freedom -

12. Out of the box 7 home screens

13. Better pixel resolution than the Iphone 3G, 3GS. ( yes I already know about the iphone 4 pixel resolution )

14. Andriod Market -application market loads faster then the apple app store even on my mobile internet - i assume due to a small but growing number of people using andriod

15. Work fine on Open Wifi - have yet to try WPA 2 with tpik encryption

Cons

1. Battery Life - sad to say but iphone has a better battery life

2. Getting yahoo mail to work is not workable out of the box, if you have gmail its works fine. You'll need a application for this to use yahoo mail

3. Unable to connect to wifi with WPA 2 encryption with AES.

4. It still hangs or freezes a little - something i've look past already

5. As of OS Andriod 2.1 all applications you download are stored on your internal phone memory which is less than 120 MB, from what I know as of this month when OS 2.2 comes out you'll be easily able to store applications on your micro SD card. Mind you, you can store applications to your micro SD CARD but with another downloadable application.

If any of you what to post your pros and cons of using this phone based on your experience with the phone I look forward to your comments - also just to let you know I bought this phone from Jay Mart in Hua Hin at the Market Village Shopping Mall 3rd floor, price 21,900 baht

About your cons:

1. There are some apps that keeps the phone awake all time. There was an update yesterday that is supposed to have fixed this. It's discussed in another thread.

2. How would you use Yahoo mail - with pop/imap? There is a standard mail app for that on the phone but I never tried it as I use gmail which works perfectly for me.

3. I use WPA2 with KIP - it's the default on my AP and it works fine both with my laptops and the phone. It can do AES but I never tried it. Is it better than KIP? Why?

4. Mine hasn't hung yet.

5. You already answered that yourself :)

6. I've had problems with getting Edge connection a few times. Something was done to the Radio ROM on yesterdays update that might have fixed it, time will show.

I use WPA 2 with AES at home, it works for me.

In addition to my main gmail, I use the standard email app to sync my phone to my second gmail account, a hotmail account, and another IMAP account and all of them work flawlessly.

Mine hasn't frozen either, although I have experienced a few force close errors due to some applications but I think thats more the fault of the app then the phone.

I do agree that battery life is short, but I'm ok with charging my phone.

One thing i did - which seemed to improve the battery life quite a bit - was to lower the intervals where it checks for data (email clients, facebook, news, weather etc) - some were set to 15mins, i changed a lot of them to 1hr or 2hrs and had a nice increase in battery life.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used this phone for GPS navigation in Thailand?

Many Thanks,

I'm looking for the same info. I am hoping that I'll be able to consolidate GPS usage and phone instead of the expense and carrying around both devices. Is the GPRS capability up to it?

6. I've had problems with getting Edge connection a few times. Something was done to the Radio ROM on yesterdays update that might have fixed it, time will show.

I haven't had any GPRS problems since this update so it seems to have fixed whatever the problem was.

I basically agree with the OP's list of pros and cons, but would like to add one flaw (unless it's my own flaw. Then please enlighten me.)

I would like to install a paid application, but according to HTC's info, this is only available in some countries. I guess in Thailand it's not, but there is no explicit list of countries. Anyway, the "Market" program only features free applications.

So how can I buy and install applications?

I basically agree with the OP's list of pros and cons, but would like to add one flaw (unless it's my own flaw. Then please enlighten me.)

I would like to install a paid application, but according to HTC's info, this is only available in some countries. I guess in Thailand it's not, but there is no explicit list of countries. Anyway, the "Market" program only features free applications.

I guess you have to root your phone and use Market Enabler.

Phil

Can the HTC Desire get True 3G? This phone sounds tempting. I have a iPhone at the moment but thinking of a change and not really tempted by the iPhone 4.

No it can only use their Edge and Wi-Fi service.

Where have you got that from? The HTC Desire is 3G enabled, why shouldn't it be able to use True (and other) 3G ?

Can the HTC Desire get True 3G? This phone sounds tempting. I have a iPhone at the moment but thinking of a change and not really tempted by the iPhone 4.

Where have you got that from? The HTC Desire is 3G enabled, why shouldn't it be able to use True (and other) 3G ?

True, as soon as the lady saw my HTC Desire she told me that the 3G frequency was not compatible. I understand that it works okay with AIS.

True, as soon as the lady saw my HTC Desire she told me that the 3G frequency was not compatible. I understand that it works okay with AIS.

I just checked up on frequencies and I think you might be right. HTC Desire uses 4 bands for GSM (850/900/1800/2100 MHz) but only 2 for HSPA/WCDMA (3G) (900/2100 MHz) while True only use 850 MHz for 3G. I wonder why. Probably the only band they could be licensed to use. Isn't there also something about True may have to stop providing 3G. I think I saw something about it somewhere but as I'm not a True customer and not expecting to be one I did't think much about it at the time.

Edited by Phil Conners

True is indeed on 850 Mhz, a frequency owned by CAT.

CAT is now demanding True to stop 3G, as the agreement was that True would only trial 3G, and CAT now feels True has turned it into a commercial offering.

Not sure what the Desire can do, but often it depends on where you buy the device. Most HTC handsets have frequencies compatible with the country they are sold in. So one version might be doing 850/2100, another 900/1900 and so on...

Usually 850 MHz is quite common, while 900 MHz (AIS) is very seldom used for HSDPA. It would be strange for HTC to bring out a 900 Mhz HSDPA device, as this frequency will never be used if there ever comes a 3G license, as this license would be on the 2100 MHz band (which I doubt, apparently the bright minds have decided to skip 3G altogether and move straight to 3.9G).

Well HTC don't make devices specially for the Thai market (even if they customize some with for example Thai Keyboard). I got the freq. information from this page: http://www.htc.com/www/product/desire/specification.html - it lists two types, for Europe and for Asia, but both types apparently use the same frequencies.

Edit: Just found the box mine came in and it confirms the frequencies above.

Edited by Phil Conners

There are 2 models that I know of. A8181 and A8183.

The A18181 operates on 900 and 2100 mhz (i.e Europe)..

The A8183 operates on 850 and 2100 mhz (i.e Australia).

From what I can tell its a hardware thing so you have to buy the one that suits.

By the way. I recently got a free upgrade and chose the HTC. Originally it had no Thai support but Android is extremely hackable. Now it is rooted with Thai support. :)

As for battery life.....

Turn off wifi when not in use. It kills the battery. By far the worst offender.

Turn off Network position services . The HTC has an excellent GPS receiver and you don't need it anyway.

Turn off GPS if you don't need it. Not as bad as the network positioning but still significant. The aquisition is quite fast so not much of an inconvenience to turn it on again.

Change autoupdating applications (such as your e-mail, wheather, facebook etc) to higher frequencies. I use every 6 hours as a rule of thumb.

My HTC battery life is now acceptable and it will last for 2-3 days if I don't play games or internet (the other battery killers).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am doing this post from my HTC Desire, so please bear with any typos or syntax errors!

I've had this HTC Desire for two months now. It was 12,000 Baht less than the iPhone 3gs. It's 'rooted' with the free Android 2.2 OS + HTC Sense features. I use it as a computer for Internet access on the road and it works very very well. The GPS is outstandingly accurate worldwide. The battery life is about two days and I can easily live with that. It has a fantastic private hotspot feature where I can access my 650 Baht/month AIS EDGE account(Nationwide) with the Desire, then connect my laptop wirelessly to it. (Phone in pocket and laptop on Internet, book hotels, air tix, movies, check email, anything, everything, etc. It's interesting to see the look on people's faces when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, like right now!)

The new Android 2.2 OS does support Thai, and essentially every other language, natively.

For 'Market' upgrade purchases in Thailand, simply buy the product online and download it to your computer, then load the APK to the Desire SD card and use the Desire App "Astro Mgr" to browse to, and install, the app.

I have no problem whatsoever using WPA2 with a strong password encryption. My Desire does 3G @ 900Mhz, so 'True' is not available for 3G (in Thailand,) ergo it's AIS 3G all the way. I do have free WiFi access with my True 16mb contract user/pass in all country-wide True hotspots (if I really need it.) However, CAT is calling, and True will be backing away from 3G and begin ramping their new 50mb "Ultra Hi Speed Internet" (wired & wireless) services within the next month or so. The Desire also supports ultra highspeed wireless 'N' wireless connections as well.

IMHO, the iPhone 3gs 32 didn't stand a chance. Android is completely open source, I can even create my own customized apps with incredibly efficient and FREE Google support. The Apple iPhone OS is prioritized to maximize profits, (are you listening Bill Gates and Steve Jobs? We're tired of it!!!)

Apps, apps FREE apps. On my Desire: 3 flashlights, 1 laser .001 cm tolerance measuring tool, 1 live realtime skymap, 2 pinpoint GPS (3 meters), a 720 HD camcorder, a 5 mpx camera with a ton of features including an Android based Adobe Photoshop, 1 metal detector, 1 live & instantly adjustable currency converter, 1 directional Tom Tom style drive mapping system (tons of Asia maps), 3 Internet browsers, full Kindle app access for free or cheap books (terrific), 3 mail managers, 2 music players, 2 media (movie) players, 2 backup systems (1 to an online server) 3D games, 2D games, etc, etc etc. (There are tens of thousands of great apps available.)

Forbes Magazine claims that 16% of the Western World is considering buying a new smartphone within the next 4 months. In Asian countries, or ANY country where you can use a SIM, the HTC Desire should be at the top of everyone's list. It's the best smart phone on the market today.

;)

• Like 1

What bothers me about these expensive smartphones is the fact, that the battery life is terrible. I don't want to charge my +20,000 Bht mobile every day. I don't need navigation, I usually don't surf the net on the mobile, so I am very glad with my Blackberry Curve now.

Today's phone cameras are also disappointing. Very few models use a Xenon flash now and all the LED lights are far way off.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you have to root your phone and use Market Enabler.

Phil

Tanks Phil. I tried another way: I put in the phone my SIM card from Switzerland and - voila! I can access all the paid applications in Market and download to my phone. And they work fine even after I put back my Thai SIM.

I have the model ending 183 and the edge was working with my ais card...( had to add an APN to get it to work ) ... can't get the True edge or 3g to work yet.... will check with their support and report back.

A8183 i(i believe) is the Aussie version of the phone, yeah? regardless, search this forum for the True APN settings. edit yours and you are on your way. i got my Desire (A8181) straight from Taiwan and had to manually enter in my AIS APN settings.