Internet Options In Thailand (Lad Phrao)

jstrike

I'm having a hard time getting a decent internet connection. My studio has included internet, but it's really horrible (let's not forget it's also firewalled so i can barely do anything with this connection). So i thought that i would be able to use a true wifi card to get better speeds (there happens to be a wifi hotspot in the neighbourhood). The signal strength i ok (12 mpbs) however the speeds i'm getting using a prepaid card are even worse than the studio's included speeds.

To give a image of the internet speeds i'm getting. 70kbyte/s at best. But most of the time it's 15-30 kbyte/s and the connection is very unstable (very frequent timeouts). True is even worse, i get my speeds shown in bytes per second.

What are my options? i don't want to be stuck on a contract for a year as at the moment, i have no job and want to be able to leave if nescecary (when i get a job it could be an option to move to a other residence).

If anyone has some ideas please tell me, I'm getting frustrated by this connection

i have some pretty bad experiences with 3g. It's almost (but not totally) as worse as the internet i have now. How is the 3g here in thailand? I also got a 3g offer from true (500 baht per month). And, i need a 3g express card is there a company that supplies their internet with an aircard (i think that's what they call it.

btw i see the only umts solution at my place is th act-1900 does anyone know with network provider this is? (btw dtac edge is not an option. Simply too slow)

Edited by jstrike

ah come on.. isn't there any option for me?

In Lad Phrao you have 2 solution for fast internet access

1. TOT 3G

2. Hutch EVDO (main tower in Central Lad Phrao)

this speed will be around 1.5 - 3 Mbps

I bought a Sierra Wireless USB dongle with and iMobile SIM card for 2300 Baht and it is VERY FAST - 7.3 Mbps!!! HOWEVER --- It is very expensive to use. The cheapest iMobile plan gives you 6 Gig of data for 700 Baht. IMO NOT WORTH IT!

I would be curious to know if anyone else out there has a more cost effective USB dongle solution. How fast? At what price?? I live on Sukumvit Soi 22. Cheers!

Edited by blitzfix

1. TOT 3G

now that sounds more like it. How is the Hutch EVDO? i hear it's a bit of an odd technology compared to 3g.

1. TOT 3G

now that sounds more like it. How is the Hutch EVDO? i hear it's a bit of an odd technology compared to 3g.

i cannot make out on the map if ladphrao 35 is in the area that is covered with evdo. The ladphrao central signal is a lot weaker than other towers. Can anyone make it out on the map?

Hutch--The Natural Next Step