Thai Ladies Wearing Braces

somtampet

Where is the evidence that they are fake? Maybe if you are hanging around lower sukhumwit they are, but go to paragon and i promise the young people wearing them have got the real thing.

Is this just something else for farang to be jealous about? ur wife or gf has bad teeth so know u r hating on wealthy thais who can afford the luxury of teeth care?

Edited by Chunky1

Where is the evidence that they are fake? Maybe if you are hanging around lower sukhumwit they are, but go to paragon and i promise the young people wearing them have got the real thing.

Is this just something else for farang to be jealous about? ur wife or gf has bad teeth so know u r hating on wealthy thais who can afford the luxury of teeth care?

Agree, Chunky1. I've known several Thai gals who wore braces and they hated them, but it was a necessity. They couldn't wait to get rid of them. I don't know where some of the folks on this forum get their information, but sometimes it seems people go out of their way to try and paint the Thai's as being strange (or worse). This is just another Thai bashing opportunity, albeit a harmless one, I suppose.

If one were to go by bad teeth , I wonder why England and Japan don't lead the way in colourful braces? unsure.gif

I have to agree, James, on this particular point. The English and the Japanese have some of the worse teeth around, somewhat surprising as you'd think dentistry in these countries would be top notch.

Berkshire' date='2010-06-11 11:11' timestamp='1276229508' post='367949'Chunky1' date='2010-06-11 03:44' timestamp='1276202669' post='3678906']

Is this just something else for farang to be jealous about? ur wife or gf has bad teeth so know u r hating on wealthy thais who can afford

Agree, Chunky1. I've known several Thai gals who wore braces and they hated them, but it was a necessity. They couldn't wait to get rid of them. I don't know where some of the folks on this forum get their information, but sometimes it seems people go out of their way to try and paint the Thai's as being strange (or worse). This is just another Thai bashing opportunity, albeit a harmless one, I suppose.

How can this be termed 'Thai bashing' ? It is a fact , exactly the same as padded bras are common wear for Thai females , that is the naked truth of the matter , check it out next time you get lucky .

How can this be termed 'Thai bashing' ? It is a fact , exactly the same as padded bras are common wear for Thai females , that is the naked truth of the matter , check it out next time you get lucky .

Geez, dumball, have you read some of these posts? Some are suggesting that Thai women are strange because they (allegedly) wear braces as a fasion statement. Regarding your comments about padded bras, are you suggesting that this is a "Thai thing?" I'd beg to differ. Are you not aware that women the world over employ padded bras? In your words, "check it out next time you get lucky."

='Berkshire' date='2010-06-12 09:57' timestamp='1276311455' post='3681221']

Geez, dumball, have you read some of these posts? Some are suggesting that Thai women are strange because they (allegedly) wear braces as a fasion statement. Regarding your comments about padded bras, are you suggesting that this is a "Thai thing?" I'd beg to differ. Are you not aware that women the world over employ padded bras? In your words, "check it out next time you get lucky."

Having shared the delights of multiple nationalities , I am aware of many traditions and trends , as you were the one that brought , or attempted to , bring some posters into line with your "Thai Bashing" comment , please try to realise that firstly , most were not and secondly , you are not as worldly wise as you infer by your comment , you made it Thai so please keep it that way , sometimes nice to read and learn from other posters experiences .

As I said before, I didn't even realize that there are such a thing as false braces, but if that is indeed the truth then I would make a wager that it wouldn't be one in 50 girls who wear false braces as compared to real braces that are worn to improve the teeth. I've known hundreds of young women who suffer through wearing braces and not ONE liked them. Most want to get them out as soon as possible. Just recently I was asked by a pretty Thai woman if I would pay to have hers removed. She was tired of having them in place and would never smile because of them. Three daughters of friends of mine wear braces and the girls can't wait to have them removed.

As far as the padded bras are concerned it happens in every country, but probably more frequently in Asia because Asian women traditionally have smaller breasts. I don't see too many farangs complaining about Thai women wearing padding. They have other attributes to make up for small boobs. Occasionally, I've been surprised when I was expecting padding and find out they are the real thing. But it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other.

Thai do not wear padded bras to enhance the size but to avoid their nipples to be sticking out .... even Thai girls with big breasts have padded bras .... I tried shopping for lingerie with my ex and it was impossible to find a bra that had no padding

If one were to go by bad teeth , I wonder why England and Japan don't lead the way in colourful braces? unsure.gif

I have to agree, James, on this particular point. The English and the Japanese have some of the worse teeth around, somewhat surprising as you'd think dentistry in these countries would be top notch.

I take issue there gents. I'm from London and I have a terrific set of teeth to match my naturally good looks. :)

The fake braces is a much publicized issue in Thailand, and this thread has nothing to do with Thai bashing IMO.

Asian girls | Thai Teen

For those who think this is Thai bashing... Let me appease their thoughts and re-tint their specks by bashing the English and Japanese.....

It has long been stereotype that the English and the Japanese have poor teeth, wonky, sticking out, goofy and as a nation generally our smiles are a cosmetic disappointment. I put that down to the fact that for generations it was our character that was judged and not our cosmetic appearance.

After moving to Thailand I received a number of comments about my poor teeth... 5 years ago I did something about this and had braces to straighten them and then veneers - I'm very happy with the result and smile more.

Back home the most common attitude was, my teeth were ok, why bother with braces for a year?

As a kid, I had overcrowded, and not straight front teeth. Fortunately, (though I'm not sure I thought so at the time), my parents paid for real braces that I must have worn for 6 years or so, including all through high school.

It was far from a pleasant experience, including the recurring orthodontist trips/visits to have the braces/wires adjusted/tightened, the resulting perpetually sore teeth, the appearance, etc etc... I never thought they looked cute at the time. Ohh, and I forgot to mention, prior to the braces, the oral surgery to remove four unnecessary permanent teeth (one each upper, lower, right and left)and other related stuff.

I've never priced real orthodontics here in Thailand, but I'm sure it's still not cheap by Thai financial standards. And yet anyone can see a lot of young women without apparent substantial financial resources running around with braces on their teeth. Either someone else is paying, or, they're doing falsies...

That said, to this day, I get a lot of compliments on my smile and teeth, which have remained nicely in place for the ensuing 30 years since I had the last of my braces and retainers removed. For anyone who really needs them, I'd say they're a very worthwhile endeavor.

PS - To get an idea of how much the braces deal is a fashion thing in Thailand vs. a real dentistry thing, consider this: what's the ratio of Thai teens/20s with braces that you see who are women vs. Thai males...

As a kid, I had overcrowded, and not straight front teeth. Fortunately, (though I'm not sure I thought so at the time), my parents paid for real braces that I must have worn for 6 years or so, including all through high school.

It was far from a pleasant experience, including the recurring orthodontist trips/visits to have the braces/wires adjusted/tightened, the resulting perpetually sore teeth, the appearance, etc etc... I never thought they looked cute at the time. Ohh, and I forgot to mention, prior to the braces, the oral surgery to remove four unnecessary permanent teeth (one each upper, lower, right and left)and other related stuff.

I've never priced real orthodontics here in Thailand, but I'm sure it's still not cheap by Thai financial standards. And yet anyone can see a lot of young women without apparent substantial financial resources running around with braces on their teeth. Either someone else is paying, or, they're doing falsies...

That said, to this day, I get a lot of compliments on my smile and teeth, which have remained nicely in place for the ensuing 30 years since I had the last of my braces and retainers removed. For anyone who really needs them, I'd say they're a very worthwhile endeavor.

PS - To get an idea of how much the braces deal is a fashion thing in Thailand vs. a real dentistry thing, consider this: what's the ratio of Thai teens/20s with braces that you see who are women vs. Thai males...

Eeeeeeeeeek that brings the memories back of teeth being removed and then i had a brace but it was removable thing pink plastic fitted into the roof of your mouth and wire which hooked over various teeth, yes my teeth felt constantly sore/bruised etc I never wore it half the time. A high sugar diet has removed at least :) two teeth since