Thailand Ranked At 124 In 2010 Global Peace Index

webfact

Thailand ranked at 124 in 2010 Global Peace Index

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Thailand is ranked at 124 out of 149 countries in the Global Peace Index (GPI) conducted by the Institute for Economics and Peace published on 8 June 2010, while New Zealand is ranked top for two consecutive years.

Thailand was ranked at 118 in 2009. Within the ASEAN region, the Kingdom is less peaceful than Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia but more peaceful than the Philippines and Myanmar.

Based on the list, Iceland has been ranked second most peaceful country followed by Japan, Austria, Norway, Ireland, Denmark, Luxemburg, Finland and Sweden, respectively, while the least peaceful country is Iraq followed by Somalia, Afghanistan, Sudan and Pakistan.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-06-09 footer_n.gif

There will be people in Thailand who believe, maybe for political reasons, that Thailand's ranking is too low. In New Zealand there are people who think our ranking is too high, I suspect also for political reasons.

The problem with all of these costly hypothetical surveys is that they are conducted from afar by overpaid educated but not intelligent pseudo 2 baht intellectuals safely ensconced in their ivory towers and insulated from the reality of daily life.

Whilst events of late were detrimental to the international image of Thailand, there are indeed many worse places in this world in which to be living.

There are ''Lies, dammed lies and statistics.''

The problem with all of these costly hypothetical surveys is that they are conducted from afar by overpaid educated but not intelligent pseudo 2 baht intellectuals safely ensconced in their ivory towers and insulated from the reality of daily life.

Whilst events of late were detrimental to the international image of Thailand, there are indeed many worse places in this world in which to be living.

There are ''Lies, dammed lies and statistics.''

Unfortunately it is reality.

With the ongoing conflict in the south and the recent events in Bangkok and elsewhere, it does not surprise me.

In addition, general crime has increased dramatically, especially over the past ten years (in particular, violent crime).

If I hear one more person say Cambodia is more dangerous than Thailand, I think I will explode.

Having said that, I have never felt threatened in Thailand (same for Cambodia).

I can assure that in my twenty years of living here in Thailand and visiting Thailand for the previous fifteen years prior, the current time is indeed far more peaceful ( for all its perceived faults) than ever before.

Edited by siampolee

I can assure that in my twenty years of living here in Thailand and visiting Thailand for the previous fifteen years prior, the current time is indeed far more peaceful ( for all its perceived faults) than ever before.

laugh.gif That is a good one.................I can assure you that is absolutely not correct. But your opinion is..............your opinion (as is mine).

Well there's been a few spanners throwin in the mix of late ,in the land of smiles, I think this could be atributed to one person, but public disobedience of this size can't be tolerated, I wounder what New York, London , Sydney or any other place would have handled the situation ,it probably would not have got so out of control, after all its called education, understaning the word called democrocy and having your say at the ballot box, but then the system is not a full democrocy here in Thailand so what do U do???

I will endorse that I'm 1980 onwards, the junta was no joke.

'chainarong' date='2010-06-10 10:09' timestamp='1276139353' post='367723'siampolee' date='2010-06-10 06:58' timestamp='1276127927' post='3676919']

I will endorse that I'm 1980 onwards, the junta was no joke.

I believe you will find this report was posted 8th June 2010 , history is NOT a consideration in this type of report , Thailand is a violent country , like it or not .

'siampolee' date='2010-06-10 20:39' timestamp='1276177192' post='3678510']

If Thailand is so violent and dangerous as some of the posters in this thread seem to think, why are they still living here ?

Some of us left before it became this bad , light , end of tunnel , because we had the choice and could , bridges , burned , kowchai ?