Work Permits & Visa's

Iam UK citizen, age 49, have lived in Thailand for 24 years working for a company which was under BOI sponsorship. Suddenly I find myself redundant, I want to stay here and can get another job which will provide a work permit. What's the easiest way to do it?

I have been told that when my company gives back the work permit, I will then have 7 days to get out of the country and reapply for a category B non-immigrant visa. The closest place to apply for one of these multiple entry visas is Sri Lanka apparently. Is there an easier way?

Thanks

Umm, not sure why you didn't apply for Permenant Redidence after 24 years, but anyway, to answer your question, I understand you can get it done in Penang. You may need to offer some Tea Money.

The Forum Sponsor; Sunbelt can also has an offering that may cover what you need. I would contact them.

IMHO you should:-

In the short term, in order to remain in Thailand, whizz down to Penang and get a double entry tourist visa, no paperwork required and you get two 60 day stays which can be extended by 30 days each with a visit to immigration.

Find a job :o

I believe you can convert your tourist visa to a non-B, not sure about that, if not another trip to Penang with the necessary paperwork and you can get a new B to cover your new job.

Not married to a Thai are you?? After 24 years I certainly would be :D:D

If you are let us know, there are more options for you then.

If you can obtain firm job offer during those 7 days I would try to obtain visa from immigration - not sure but they may be able to help.

If not you should, as suggested, obtain a tourist visa to tide you over (not 30 day entry) and when job available immigration can convert to single entry B visa and then you extend.

To obtain any B visa at a Consulate you are going to have to have job offer letter at the very least. That will provide single entry visa for 90 days at most Consulates. If your job is not going to allow extension of stay (low income) you need to look further afield to Sri Lanka or OZ or elsewhere outside of Asia to obtain a multi entry type. But it appears you would only require a single entry so a quick trip to Penang would probably be the easy route if you can not do at immigration.

Edited by lopburi3