Change A 3 Month Visa To A Year Visa-When I Get A Job In Bkk

This is my very first post, be gentle.

I am moving to Thailand in one month. I want to live there FOREVER! But I will be happy with 1 year at a time.

I would rather not get a job first (I am a school teacher) because I want to explore and discover before I commit.

I have learned, If I don't have a job before I leave the states I won't have a "work sponsor" to allow a year stay, correct?

HERE IS MY ACTUAL QUESTION:

Am I allowed ,,, or,,, is it common, to travel/go to Thailand with a 3 month Visa and a round trip ticket, THEN arrive in Thailand, get a job and then convert it to a year long Visa?

thx,

m~

Edited by onthego

If you have a visa you don't need a return ticket. Based on your story you don't qualify for a non-immigrant visa, but can get a tourist visa, which is good for 60 days and can be extended for another 30 days. If you find work you can then apply for a work permit and go to a neighbouring country and apply for a non-b visa at the consulate their. That one you can than extend for 1 year.

Not untill you have a one year extension of stay can you import your goods duty free to Thailand, if you want to ship things to Thailand.

If you have a visa you don't need a return ticket. Based on your story you don't qualify for a non-immigrant visa, but can get a tourist visa, which is good for 60 days and can be extended for another 30 days. If you find work you can then apply for a work permit and go to a neighbouring country and apply for a non-b visa at the consulate their. That one you can than extend for 1 year.

Not untill you have a one year extension of stay can you import your goods duty free to Thailand, if you want to ship things to Thailand.

WOW,, this is sounding promising. You see, I have only begun to "research" into Visas and work permits. And,,, I can be very dense and confused, that's what 22 years of marriage will do to ya, "My brain is like oatmeal"(Mr. Mom 1983).

If I am hearing you correctly. If I want to stay for at least a year, and I don't want to get a job prior to actually going there,,,, then I simply get a TOURIST VISA (good for 60 days),, then after arriving and after being in Thailand for a few days.(?)., and without even getting a job yet, I can simply get an extension to stay for another 30 days. AM I RIGHT THUS FAR? Okay,,,, Then I get a job prior to that 30 day extension time has ended,,,, and my new employer will sponsor me for my ONE year work permit. Correct?

And if I am correct, then why do I need to go to a neighboouring country if my new employer is "helping" me get my 1 year work permit?

Thanks,,

Don't give up on me, I'm nearly there!

m~

A Work Permit enables you to work.

A Visa enables you to stay.

You need a Non B Visa and a Work Permit to work and stay. You have to go to a neighbouring country for the Visa.

To give you a bit more time you should be able to get a Double Tourist Visa, This would give 6 months with extensions.

Contact your Thai Consulate and ask.

COLORADO

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200

DENVER, CO 80204

Tel : (303) 892-0118

Fax : (303) 892-0119

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. Ringby

E Mail Here

Ohhh... I get it now. Thanks...

This is the first I have heard of a "Double Tourist Visa". That sounds wonderful, because I really don't want to go to work straightaway.

I suppose traveling to a neighbouring country is a fairly simple process. Right? And I'm sure it could be a pleasant adventure.

I will contact them straightaway and acquire the "Double Tourist Visa".

After being in Thailand, when should I "apply" for the 30 day extension? I guess just prior to it expiring?

I just booked my one way airline ticket only moments ago!! I will depart the States on July 29th, 2010.

Do you all have any other "hot tips" or something frequently overlooked by "newbies" such as myself you would like to share?

Thanks in advance,

m~

You need a Non B Visa and a Work Permit to work and stay. You have to go to a neighbouring country for the Visa.

To give you a bit more time you should be able to get a Double Tourist Visa, This would give 6 months with extensions.

COLORADO

DENVER, CO 80204

E Mail Here

Edited by lopburi3
fix quoter

COLORADO

DENVER, CO 80204

E Mail Here

Not strictly true, you can get a wp on a non-o visa as well

Has anyone heard of companies such as;

Are they legit? Are there companies out there that can issue and extend and what-have-you with Visas for the general public? I thought only the consulate could do that sort of thing.

m~

Holy Crap !

I have learned so much in the last 2 hours with your help and by talking on the phone.

I've learned that there are a billion companies that are more or less 2nd party business that "assist" you with a rather simple process and charge you a fee.

I have learned that in fact, I CAN travel on a way one airline ticket, with a Tourist Visa- (good for 60 days), with a double entry ability on that Visa.

I'm not entirely clear on when to get the extensions, if I get two extensions, or just one. But that doesn't really matter because I will have about 55 days to figure it out.

I also found out that the processing fee is waived right now due to unrest in the Kingdom.

Peace,,,,

m~

The 30 day extension costs 1,900 baht and you will need in a form and provide pass photo. You can apply in the last two weeks of your 60 days. it will still start when the 60 days end, so you don't lose any days. Than you leave and enter on your second entry and that one you can also extend for 1,900 baht.

Both entries must be made before the visa expires.