Good News Wife Has Got Sole Custody Order For Uk Settlement Visa

A little ray of good news. We have received notice from the court that they are going to grant her sole custody of her son. Once my wife receives the paper from the court, she'll be able to take it to the local amphur and get her divorce certificate changed so that is states she has sole custody of her son.

Just thought I'd post incase there's anybody else out there in the same boat. Plus always good to hear success stories. Hopefully this will go a long way in securing a UK settlement visa for her and her son. Obviously we still need to meet all the other requirements but this one was a big worry for us.

Well done and good news indeed. The next stage is proving to the british embassy sole responsibility. My wife has sole custody, step son never seen his father. My wife has resident permit in UK and recently we were turned down for her 15yr old son to join. Make sure you can prove she has had a significant role in his life otherwise they will back it for sure. Good luck take nothing for granted.

Congrats on the sole custody.

Does your stepson live with your wife? If so has he always lived with her or has he spent a significant length of time living with other members of the family away from your wife, such as grandparents? It's important when trying to show sole responsibility.

Edited by sumrit

Does your stepson live with your wife? If so has he always lived with her or has he spent a significant length of time living with other members of the family away from your wife, such as grandparents? It's important when trying to show sole responsibility.

Thanks for the positive responses from all. Yes he does live with my wife in her village in their family home. Last year when my wife and I lived in Chiang Mai we brought her son to live with us. Now I've returned to England, they've both returned to the village. She's never been out of Thailand before and thus has always had sole responsibility for him.

Hopefully if we provide letter from school as well as Blue Book documents and the Khor Por 14 paper that should suffice. Any other potential pitfalls or something I've missed?

Thanks again

Thanks for the positive responses from all. Yes he does live with my wife in her village in their family home. Last year when my wife and I lived in Chiang Mai we brought her son to live with us. Now I've returned to England, they've both returned to the village. She's never been out of Thailand before and thus has always had sole responsibility for him.

Hopefully if we provide letter from school as well as Blue Book documents and the Khor Por 14 paper that should suffice. Any other potential pitfalls or something I've missed?

Thanks again

check out my thread 2 pages back.settlement for 15yr old son refusal, good luck..!

Thanks again

check out my thread 2 pages back.settlement for 15yr old son refusal, good luck..!

Hi yes I did read your posts before and am sorry for the bad news. I hope you are successful when you re-submit. Very agonising. I did post on your thread and was advised that my application should in theory be more straightforward (in theory) as my wife has never lived apart from her son. Whether, or not that will be the case in practice is of course a different matter, and we'll just have to cross our fingers and everything else!

Hopefully if we provide letter from school as well as Blue Book documents and the Khor Por 14 paper that should suffice.

That's what we supplied. I think the only other things we added were receipts for things like school fees, school bus bills, medical bills, etc that we paid and were addressed to us.

If your wife can show that she and the child have lived together for the bulk of the child's life, and are still doing so, then sole responsibility should be taken as a given. It is only when parent and child have been separated that sole responsibility becomes an issue.

The documents you have listed should be ample.