Cycling

motocrosser

Not really an answer, but more a comment.

Done about half of the road. 2 get off and push hills down at Lamai with another around Nathon. (This is more a get off and push, and cry, in my opinion)

To be honest, the traffic, potholes, etc were a pain, and although I like a challenge, would not attempt to do the whole lot! My guess is it would take me about 6 hours, plus a stop at the hospital and a stop at the cash machine to get some money to buy 2 more legs.:)

The ring road is 52 km, I need 2.5 hours.

Did it many time, since many years and i´am a girl

blink.gifjap.gif

Wow, sounds like you're aspiring for the TdF. I wish you further good luck in avoiding accidents, too many maniacs in trucks and pick-ups on these roads.

If you're a fairly decent cyclist ( and I count myself as one) you can do it in 2 1/4 hours if you give it some. Acclimatising to the heat helps. On a road bike you should be able to go sub 2 hours.

There's lots of pot holes and oversized drains but just keep your eyes open - if I had a road bike here I'd certainly use it.

Regards

The ring road is 52 km, I need 2.5 hours.

Did it many time, since many years and i´am a girl

I find that very hard to believe,with the hills etc

Why? That works out to 20.8 km/hr. If that 2.5 hours excludes water stops and other downtime, then it would be a bit on the slow side for a middle-aged or less person who cycles regularly. If it's is an all inclusive time, then yes, that is very good, but still not absurd. The TDF reference scited to go discredit tthe claim is off-base too, those guys go probably double that pace on avergae despite scaling the Alps.

Hi

I am coming to Koh Samui for a holiday. Is the road sealed all the way? ie suitable for a road bicycle

Cheers

Richard

You can do it on a road bike but Samui roads are very dangerous even by Thai standards. There are a couple of very steep sets of hills that are apt to stress you considerably unless you have a really low granny gear (many road bikes don't). But the main issue aside from that is while the roads are nice and smooth in some areas there are random potholes and busted up pavement in others. Plus, in same areas (such as near Maenam) there are also big storm grates jetting out into the road that are not only not flush to the road sufrace but also have their grates running parrallel to the flow of traffic rather than pependicular (meaning that your wheel is at risk of falling though the grate).