Teaching Salaries

Today I decided I was truly bored of England and have applied for a career break!

Having visited Thailand on numerous occasions I thought I would come and give teaching ago!

There are a few things i would like to know if anyone can help???

1 - Whats the best way of getting a TEFL qualification? In Thailand or the UK?

2- How much money does a teaching job pay?

3 - If you have a degree, does that increase a salary or not?

4 - Can anyone recommend a good place to get the TEFL course?

1. I'd probably say it's best to do it in Thailand as in the UK the classes IMO would be more geared towards ESL than EFL. You'll also get help with work, Visas (generally), housing and finding your feet if you do it here.

2. Can depend. I know people on 25K a month, I know others on 70K plus.

3. Not really overall in my opinion no. Although it depends what the degree is in.

4. Have a search around on here. There's a lot of information about different courses already posted.

Edited by kenkannif

Just to add re Ken's point 2. that if you're new to teaching (and don't have a teaching qualification), you will be likely to get 25K to 35K Baht a month for a first job. After that, you can pick up better paying jobs and also some decent part-time stuff to boost the earnings, should you wish or have the time. It's also possible to teach subjects other than English for reasonable money if you have the qualifications.

I would maybe look at your own english first of all! If you come here, do it properly, not just to have a go!

1 The best way to get a TEFL is to attend a course !

2 Depends on the job!

3 Maybe! Probably! Possibly!

4 Look on the different web sites like ajarn dot com, the sticky thread at the top of this section, eslcafe dot com and many many others ! You will find many people talking about different courses! Once you have read them, you will know what specific questions to ask rather than the vague ones you have asked!

I would maybe look at your own english first of all!  If you come here, do it properly, not just to have a go!

1 The best way to get a TEFL is to attend a course !

2 Depends on the job!

3 Maybe! Probably! Possibly!

4 Look on the different web sites like ajarn dot com, the sticky thread at the top of this section, eslcafe dot com and many many others !  You will find many people talking about different courses! Once you have read them, you will know what specific questions to ask rather than the vague ones you have asked!

Why do some organisations e.g. Overseas Education Group Ltd, based in Bangkok, only offer teaching positions at 12k per month? Is this a rip-off?

On the Teach in Thailand bulletin board, a Mr Phillip clearly states that teaching qualifications are not necessary by law in order to work as a teacher in Thailand, only a Bachelor's degree. Is this correct or does this company not believe in offering Thai youngsters quality, experience and professional English language teachers?? Hardly surprising the education of many Thais in English is so poor when companies such as these put their business interests first.

:o

Depends on who, what and where you're teaching. A TEFL is sometimes need as well as a degree (and becoming more so as time progresses), sometimes it's enough on it's own, sometimes neither a TEFL or a degree is needed etc.

No 100% correct answer I'm afraid.

Why do some organisations e.g. Overseas Education Group Ltd, based in Bangkok, only offer teaching positions at 12k per month? Is this a rip-off?

On the Teach in Thailand bulletin board, a Mr Phillip clearly states that teaching qualifications are not necessary by law in order to work as a teacher in Thailand, only a Bachelor's degree. Is this correct or does this company not believe in offering Thai youngsters quality, experience and professional English language teachers?? Hardly surprising the education of many Thais in English is so poor when companies such as these put their business interests first.

Heres we were start to get into trouble.

It depends what sort of teaching qualification he / you are talking about. A TEFL/CELTA Cert, a BEd, a PGCE...... ?

Depending on where you teach, you dont need a post grad course ( PGCE ) to teach here. It also depends what you teach.

Add in all the possibilities of sneaking in teachers under the regulations - visa and immigration and work permit - then all things are possible here.

But its the same in the UK as far as I am aware. If you teach in FE you dont need a post grad qualification, all thats needed is a degree.

As for a putting their business interests first, well..... show me a single school, government or private that doesnt.

12k a month ? - sounds like ( without looking it up ) somebody offering gap year jobs to travellers and then hiring them out to do "community" work at 30k in schools.

Today I decided I was truly bored of England and have applied for a career break!

Having visited Thailand on numerous occasions I thought I would come and give teaching ago!

There are a few things i would like to know if anyone can help???

1 - Whats the best way of getting a TEFL qualification? In Thailand or the UK?

2- How much money does a teaching job pay?

3 - If you have a degree, does that increase a salary or not?

4 - Can anyone recommend a good place to get the TEFL course?

I shall be arriving in Thailand in August and have booked in to do a TEFL course there. Probably the best option is to do it in Thailand as the courses I've investigated cover major differences between European and Oriental languages which would be valuable for teaching out there.

The college I work at does a TEFL course but mainly concentrates on differences in European languages (as most of the custom is coming from there these days).

On point 3, I don't think that you can teach in any reputable school/college/uni without a degree as the institue needs to show these to the Thai authorities before they issue you with a WP.

As for point 4, my son did a course with the Text and Talk institute in Bangkok and it's on his recommendation that I've booked my course with them too.

You can find them here

http://www.teflteachthai.com/

Hope this helps, last one over buys the Changs !

The average salary for an average English teacher in Bangkok should be equal to the average salary for the average BG in Bangkok, which is about 50,000 Thai Baht. If you're making anything under that, after you're first year, then you might as well give it up. This is based on whether or not this is your primary source of income. Guys who are retired work on a different ratio if they are getting outside income from pensions, social security, ect.

As my main man Bluffer says it's hard to get ONE job paying 50K although relatively easy to supplement your 30-40K job with other work (evening, weekends etc.) so you hit the 50K mark. BUT you really need to think about hours worked, hours travelled, prep time and work out a basic hourly rate. It's all well and good saying you have to earn 50K but if you're putting in 40 plus hours a week to earn it (plus prep, travel etc.) then you ain't going to be earning it for long as you'll burn out bigtime.

As my main man Bluffer says it's hard to get ONE job paying 50K although relatively easy to supplement your 30-40K job with other work (evening, weekends etc.) so you hit the 50K mark. BUT you really need to think about hours worked, hours travelled, prep time and work out a basic hourly rate. It's all well and good saying you have to earn 50K but if you're putting in 40 plus hours a week to earn it (plus prep, travel etc.) then you ain't going to be earning it for long as you'll burn out bigtime.

Are you talking about teachers or BGs :o