Never Been Fished Virgin Lake - Samui

womble

For 10 years I have seen a lake in Samui that has been unfishable due to the face every inch of it was convered in weed, lillys, trees, you name it.

I have also made sure that as it was unfishable this was where my mrs, her friends and anyone else I could convince should release their fish (for good luck).

We have released many fish over 2kg. Normally Blah Chon. I also released some small Shado from time to time over the years. The lake is totally alive with fish. The only fish I know that are in there are Blah Shado, Blah Chon and Blah Nin, because they are the fish I have seen with my own eyes. The owner has no idea what fish are in there.

The owner has never allowed anyfishing as they do not want people to eat the fish. That is why he purposely let the lake get overgrown. He didn't want locals fishing it, and certainly not netting it like most other lakes on Samui.

I have done a deal with the owner and accompanied by me he has said that a limited amount of people are allowed to fish the lake, he said farang only as his fellow countrymen he says cannot be trusted and will take the fish (I do know a few thai who practise catch and release, but they are few and far between)

Anyway the lake has recently been partially cleared and is as close to perfect as you can get for lure or fly fishing. So you could use mini poppers, imitation frogs, fly fishing gear, any medium to small size lure really.

I want it to be a lure fishing lake.

It is a really nice lake, a decent size and has lots of variety. Deep areas where you could use rapalas, trees coming out of the water liek at the reservoirs. Lots of shallows and weed areas perfect for blah chon.

Fish are constantly topping.

I fished this morning for 2 hrs from sun up and landed 6 fish, all blah chon up to 3kg, and all released. I had many more takes and follows, it really was amazing, also I lost a really big fish, it bit me off and I was using braid. I can only think it was a decent sized Shado as the rod bent right over and then the line went slack, the frog was fairly big so to swallow the whole frog and bite through the 20lb braid it would more than likely be a Shado, although a really big greedy chon could do it, or perhaps there are other species lurking with teeth. In future I will be using 30 or 40lb braid as it is snaggy.

Anyway acording to the owner I am the first person to fish this lake at least ten years, and before that it was never seriously fished, just a few locals fishing with bamboo poles and some dough.

I have struck a deal with the owner and I will be incharge of running a syndicate for expats, you pay a monthly or annual fee and can fish unlimited, (we will use the subscription fees to stock the lake with some really cool species and build a few huts to shelter from sun/ rain. Each time you fish there will be another very small charge, (this is to help with the upkeep of the lake).

People who do not live on samui will be able to fish day ticket with a guide.

We will be stricly limiting the number of members. And the amount of pressure put on the water. I want the lake to remain as natural as possible, it will not be over stocked with 1000's of blah buk etc, I am more interested in fish that take lures and flies. I may expand on this later as there are infact several lakes, but for the first lake it will be artificial baits only. (unless you are one of the lucky few fishing with us when we fish heavy tackle on the bottom to see if there are any carp or cats in there. I think there could well be some of the large predatory catfish, who knows.

This is not a money making scheme, it is going to be a lake run by fanatical anglers for fanatical anglers............

I plan all members to have a say in the running of the lake, we will have meetings and discuss issues such as which fish to stock and how funds from our memberships should be used.

So if anyone is interested in fishing a virgin lake and perhaps being involved in turning it into something really special.......

Send me a PM

• 1 month later...

Great idea and sounds like a lot of fun, just shame that you are on Samui, I guess I'm happy to make do with the guide when I visit.

Good luck with it!

It sounds like there could be Pacu in the lake which will bite throw anything including wire, after many fishing trips and catching many Pacu I have now resorted to 100 lb Braid which works the Pacu cant seem to bite throw this straight away it lasts for maybe 4 Pacu before needing to be changed, also Pacu are such hard fighting fish and can be mistaken for something much larger although the fight is short.