Visa exemption entries per year

Hi all.

Have done research about my question, but still feel like i want to ask for others opinions. I know this has been asked before, but they mostly include extensions etc so it might be different in my case. 

I live and work in Norway, as a ship engineer. This means i work for 4 weeks, and have 4 weeks off. (29 days work-> 29 days off). 

This year i have already visited Thailand twice on visa exemption, for a 2-3 weeks stay each time i was there. I love it here, maybe i move here fully in the future.(Yes will need proper visa for this) 

It has come to my attention that i might run into visa trouble in the future if i want to keep visiting Thailand when i’m off work. (Cracking down on the use of exemption visa?)

Lets say if i wanted to visit Thailand everytime i’m off work, which means ish 5 months during a year, do you guys think i will be rejected at some point? I guess if i visit everytime im off work, it means i techically live in Thailand? And my travel back home to Norway for work is a visa run i guess? 

Dont think i fit into LTR visa or any of the other ones, maybe elite visa is my only option but i want that to be last resort since its expensive.    
Rules and such seems a little vague when i read other peoples stories, not sure what i should do. 

Any input is very appreciated. 

You could consider applying for a multi-entry tourist visa. While you don't really need it for your relatively short stays, chances are better that you'd fly under the radar with your pattern, having an actual visa designed for frequent visits as a tourist.

Regardless of the visa exempt vs. tourist visa question, in case you get questioned, make sure that you meet all the official requirements for entry as a tourist (cash, flight out, hotel booking) upon each arrival. Additionally, be prepared to prove your employment in Norway and ideally your work schedule, as that would help convince an IO that you don't work in Thailand illegally. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think you'll have any problem being away from Thailand for a month each time. I've been doing 7-9 months in Thailand on visa exempt last couple of years no problem (generally 2 months Thailand, 1-2 months Australia)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

I tihnk this kind of thing gets left up to the discretion of the immigration officer you happen to meet. You are flying in, not coming by land, which has a more formalized '2 entries visa exempt per year" policy.

I would suggest perhaps at least once or twice visiting a DIFFERENT SE Asian country in between your Thai adventures. Malaysia is beautiful, Cambodia is fascinating, etc. If the guy in the brown uniform sees stamps from a variety of places, the chance that he will refuse you entry to Thailand will be lower. BUT if all he sees are Thai entry stamps, it might provoke his suspicion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many other countries would have clearly defined how many days in a year you can stay using visa-exempt 

the previous and oft-cited 180 days in a year sounds reasonable, could even serve as a guideline for current regime where anything above you're pushing your luck but could be let in after stern warning

would no back to back exempt entry or same day re-entry and land border be reasonable? no genuine tourist would pass up a chance to explore Laos, Cambodia or even Malaysia, Would anyone be caught out by this? 

21 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I would suggest perhaps at least once or twice visiting a DIFFERENT SE Asian country in between your Thai adventures. Malaysia is beautiful, Cambodia is fascinating, etc. If the guy in the brown uniform sees stamps from a variety of places, the chance that he will refuse you entry to Thailand will be lower. BUT if all he sees are Thai entry stamps, it might provoke his suspicion.

That's funny 😁

My passport was issued in 2015 and it only has 9 years of Thai stamps in it (as Australia doesn't do stamps). IO's have never raised any concerns over only having Thai stamps?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I don't think you'll have any problem being away from Thailand for a month each time. I've been doing 7-9 months in Thailand on visa exempt last couple of years no problem (generally 2 months Thailand, 1-2 months Australia)

That's what, 3/4 VE entries + 30 day extensions per year.

What the OP suggests with his work rota would amount to 12/13 VE entries per annum, and I agree he'd run into problems with Immigration.

Apart from the options and advice already given, it would assist if we knew the OP's age, as that could provide other options.

Edited by Liquorice

Posted (edited)

Last week, I did my 13th monthly visa exempt entry in a row.  I stay between 3 days and a week each time. YMMV.

One recurring theme from the threads and discussions I have with fellow travelers is that they usually get a warning before they get refused entry.  Same with the American kid young adult I flew next to last week.  His father lives in Thailand and he comes to visit regularly (occasionally extending for over a month).  They warned him he'd need to get a visa next time.

I'd suggest the OP not worry until they warn him he'll need a visa next time.  He's actually the kind of visitor they want to encourage.  Cashed up, employed elsewhere, and doesn't extend as if he's living in Thailand.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

That's what, 3/4 VE entries + 30 day extensions per year.

What the OP suggests with his work rota would amount to 12/13 VE entries per annum, and I agree he'd run into problems with Immigration.

Your math is off as OP works month on, month off and says he wants to do 5 months per year in Thailand so 5 Visa Exempt entries.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

More like 5 or 6 I think.

34 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Your math is off as OP works month on, month off and says he wants to do 5 months per year in Thailand so 5 Visa Exempt entries.

I stand corrected, you are of course correct.
I wasn't accounting for the 4 weeks he'd spend in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks! I didn’t find this post when i was researching. 

With the fact that i’m not even near my 50’s, i guess my best way forward is to keep traveling as i do, assuming i will get a warning first if they stop me. Will of course do my best to make them see i’m not working/living or doing anything illegal in Thailand.  

And when/if the day comes, i probably would be best of getting the elite visa. I’m early in my career, got no family/kids and have 0 debt exept my student loan. Shouldn’t be too much of a setback if im determined and work extra for a while.

Thanks to all others for your input aswell, much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1