Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

webfact

"As to the subject of the officers keeping the free busses, I assume that is pretty standard for any port visit... I know here in Sydney my dad (after his retirement) loved driving the minibuss with the officers around, while the sailors had to deal with local transport..."

sounds like you and your dad have a lot in common. why would anyone want to see anyone else struggle??

That was badly worded by me... what I should have written is;

I assume it is pretty standard for any port visit for the officers to be provided with free transport (i.e. minibusses) while the Sailors are left to deal with local transport... I know here in Sydney my dad (after his retirement) loved driving the minibuss with the officers...

To summarise the rest of my post...

I don't understand why everyone is getting all hot and bothered about a few hundred well paid sailors being held up, sailors who would probably jump at the 2,000 baht fare if it got them to the bars quicker than lining up for other transport, when the real crime is that 5 million independant travelers have to deal with these c^nts for the rest of the year...

Cheers,

Daewoo

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a pity the US Navy didnt turn over a few tuk tuks and teach some of those low life a few lessons, of course it would of been funny to see the usual 'numbers game' reversed for a change. Following that they could of driven themselves around phuket, for free. :)

Come on Khun Rucharee, answer your critics, provide more rational for your comments.

I must be the most hated person in ThaiVisa now.

Typical Thai self pity.....

OK. I re-phase that.

I must be the most famous person in ThaiVisa now.

most foolish would be more appropriate. :)

F^ck the US Navy... (I sort of only half mean that:) )...

they got free transport TOO Phuket

yes, like aboard the luxurious USS Curts (one of the visiting ships from the OP). It's a veritable cruise liner with all the amenities and creature comforts of first class transportation as displayed during their anti-mine operations in the Arabian Gulf:

curtsmine.jpg

they have free accommodation while they are there

Actually, nearly every sailor bunks onboard the ship in a berthing compartment similar to this example of their 5-star-hotel-quality accomodations:

dscf0223e.jpg

As to the subject of the officers keeping the free busses, I assume that is pretty standard for any port visit...

That is decidedly not the case. As posted earlier, that whole aspect of the article is, as described by the journalist himself, as "sketchy."

If the article is ever followed up, that part will certainly be found to be erroneous.

Edited by JLester

Its a pity the US Navy didnt turn over a few tuk tuks and teach some of those low life a few lessons, of course it would of been funny to see the usual 'numbers game' reversed for a change. Following that they could of driven themselves around phuket, for free. :)

That would have been nice. I first went to Phuket in 1991, and traveled there many, many times up until 2004. I have been back three times since living here - the last time was in 2008, and I think that will be the last time there. Those bunch of crooks, have been given free reign to price gouge tourists, and they know nothing is going to change. I got so fed up trying to get around, every-time was quoted ludicrous prices for even short trips. There are plenty of other places to go, and to be honest Thailand needs to get a grip on this sort of shit in the tourist areas, as it really isn't good for the image. They are going to feel a lot of financial pain this year, when there is no high season.

OK. I re-phase that.

:) Im not sure either of those statements cut what people are really thinking Rucharee. :D

Most hated / most follish, whatever.

I'd appreciate if you would express your ongoing view, your ongoing analysis and comment, considering the replies you have generated.

What are you thinking now?

Seems like there is little substance behind the original statement, other some absurd form of entitlement.

Can't wait until the end of the year when all those idiots checki their pockets and find nothing in there becaue the season has not materialized thanks to the red shirts antics and the way westerners are treated in Phuket. the only way Thais can learn is by pain and pain they will feel

The financial crisis in Europe, and a very expensive Thai baht will do the rest

cheesy.gifwelcomeani.gif

Naa, they won't suffer too much. They'll simply charge the few tourists who do visit the island DOUBLE the current rate just to make up for the lost business...

That would have been nice. I first went to Phuket in 1991, and traveled there many, many times up until 2004. I have been back three times since living here - the last time was in 2008, and I think that will be the last time there. Those bunch of crooks, have been given free reign to price gouge tourists, and they know nothing is going to change. I got so fed up trying to get around, every-time was quoted ludicrous prices for even short trips. There are plenty of other places to go, and to be honest Thailand needs to get a grip on this sort of shit in the tourist areas, as it really isn't good for the image. They are going to feel a lot of financial pain this year, when there is no high season.

Yes, MrT, you are right again on all accounts.

I think LivinginKata nailed this thread right at the start when he stated, 'Just another nail in the coffin'.

I tell you know, I've spent a fair bit of time on Phuket over the years & I will NEVER EVER contribute a single dime to one of these thugs by riding in one of their tuk tuks. Even if as a result of that I had to push a peanut with my nose whilst hopping my way right around the island on highways full of broken glass on my penis.

The sooner more people vote with their feet, the sooner it will become more difficult for these extortionists.

I tell you know, I've spent a fair bit of time on Phuket over the years & I will NEVER EVER contribute a single dime to one of these thugs by riding in one of their tuk tuks. Even if as a result of that I had to push a peanut with my nose whilst hopping my way right around the island on highways full of broken glass on my penis.

The sooner more people vote with their feet, the sooner it will become more difficult for these extortionists.

I'm not sure that I want to imagine that :) , but joking aside I totally agree with what you are saying. I think the final word you use, is just what they are - extortionists :D .

Come on Khun Rucharee, answer your critics, provide more rational for your comments.

No you not hated just seen as a total fool that has engaged its mouth 1st without the use of the brain A thai persons input is welcome to give a well balanced view 2,000thb for a simple journey that takes 20min No not reasonable you consider if you would pay the price & think its fair .....when thais visit foreign countries they are not made legal targets to be ripped off ....farangs expect the same ........you have lost face here & we are farang so that's a difficult thing to do

as we don't really suffer from this in our culture

Typical Thai self pity.....

OK. I re-phase that.

Grow up... this is no laughing matter. You don't seem to understand the negative effects an incident like this could have on Thailands' image abroad AND the impact it could have on the tourist industry (at least for Phuket). Nobody, neither Thai nor farang, rich nor poor, likes to be ripped-off! Charge a fair price for a fair service.

"grow up".....

it's a cultural problem, you are asking the impossible

Still like to hear some further comment from Khun Racharee. I wonder if you, Khun R, are a typ[ical output of the Thai education system in that instant broader analysis / big picture analysis of the situation is just not the way that most Thai people think.

I'm not saying that Thai people are stupid, I would never ever say that because it's not true, but it is true that the Thai education system produces people who never / can't analyse the big picture. And one thing I am very proud of that my Thai born (adult) son does instantly take his thinking / his analysis to the big picture and his university colleagues are often amazed at his bigger picture comments (I know because they have mentioned it several times).

F^ck the US Navy... (I sort of only half mean that:) )...

they got free transport TOO Phuket

yes, like aboard the luxurious USS Curts (one of the visiting ships from the OP). It's a veritable cruise liner with all the amenities and creature comforts of first class transportation as displayed during their anti-mine operations in the Arabian Gulf:

curtsmine.jpg

they have free accommodation while they are there

Actually, nearly every sailor bunks onboard the ship in a berthing compartment similar to this example of their 5-star-hotel-quality accomodations:

dscf0223e.jpg

As to the subject of the officers keeping the free busses, I assume that is pretty standard for any port visit...

That is decidedly not the case. As posted earlier, that whole aspect of the article is, as described by the journalist himself, as "sketchy."

If the article is ever followed up, that part will certainly be found to be erroneous.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif If only Thai Visa had a fishing emoticon biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

"grow up".....

it's a cultural problem, you are asking the impossible

Still like to hear some further comment from Khun Racharee. I wonder if you, Khun R, are a typ[ical output of the Thai education system in that instant broader analysis / big picture analysis of the situation is just not the way that most Thai people think.

I'm not saying that Thai people are stupid, I would never ever say that because it's not true, but it is true that the Thai education system produces people who never / can't analyse the big picture. And one thing I am very proud of that my Thai born (adult) son does instantly take his thinking / his analysis to the big picture and his university colleagues are often amazed at his bigger picture comments (I know because they have mentioned it several times).

Maybe that is why we have a prime minister that is born in the UK, and a King that is born in the US.

Maybe this prove that Farang's education system is far far superior that Thais.

Maybe that is why people born in Thailand and never complete with Farang or Thai born overseas..

Why don't the US military just do what they did in Iraq?

Start false rumors and base and invasion and lies then

take over phuket and take over the "natural resources" there?

Hey LuckyLew, What I would like to say to you would only get me barred from the Forum. But I will tell you that a decent Dr. can surgically extract your cranium from its current rectal position. Please LuckyLew, for your own sake, go back to drinking beer. The Koolade is only going to get you in trouble when you spout of with this nonsense to some of these military men.

Tuk Tuks are a Mafia based business in Patong. Just tell the military ment that there are 3,000 woman on the other side of that mountain who are wanting them, but let them know that they have to "take it" from a Tuk Tuk driver first and not get kissed. These Soldiers will take care of the rest.

I noticed the picture accompanying this news item shows a row of mobile ATMs at the dockside, so no doubt the 150baht ATM scam kicked in even before the sailors left the docks.

But where were the Navy top brass when all this brouhaha was going on, they should have sorted it out in two minutes, like threatened to sail or else.

This issue really needs taken all the way to the top. Let Abhisit be aware of what is going on, just days after Thailand suffers from bad international press over the riots.

Still, on the bright side. No poster has found a way of blaming Thaksin for this one, which has to be some sort of TV record.

I noticed the picture accompanying this news item shows a row of mobile ATMs at the dockside, so no doubt the 150baht ATM scam kicked in even before the sailors left the docks.

But where were the Navy top brass when all this brouhaha was going on, they should have sorted it out in two minutes, like threatened to sail or else.

This issue really needs taken all the way to the top. Let Abhisit be aware of what is going on, just days after Thailand suffers from bad international press over the riots.

Still, on the bright side. No poster has found a way of blaming Thaksin for this one, which has to be some sort of TV record.

There must be something....surely his hand is in it somewhere.....how did the police get to be in charge of the Mafia????

I think it's all Thaksin's fault. The Tuk Tuk drivers are all Red Shirts who did not get paid.

Not really. I just wanted to make you feel better.

Where did these people get that feeling of self-entitlement to tourists money? it's a dangerous game when you look at tourists like they're second class citizens.

Been on a domestic American air flight lately?

So some other dumb action makes this one smart? I don't think so. Examine the logic, if you need help let me know.

I think it's all Thaksin's fault. The Tuk Tuk drivers are all Red Shirts who did not get paid.

If it make you feel better, Phuket is a Yellow area. Not a Red area like Udon.

My goodness hob goblins , return of the prodigal son/daughter with words of wisdom yet . Who cares the colour of their shirts , the damage they may have done is more important , rabble rousers/s345t disturbers are all the same no matter the colour of their stripe .

If it make you feel better, Phuket is a Yellow area. Not a Red area like Udon.

The flaw in your logic is that most people that live and work in Phuket are NOT registered there and hence do NOT vote in that region. As such, we cannot say for sure what the color of the tuk-tuk bandits are. But many that visit Phuket can testify as to from what areas in Thailand a lot of the scammers come from in Phuket, and that will give you an idea...

Greed has absolutely no bounds. The Navy should just pull out and state exactly the reasons in plain language.

TheWalkingMan

I agree 100%.. however, you know the Thai newspapers would never print the "plain Language", they would color it up so the Thai people won't lose face.

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

What? At least he was a Navy officer! Reagan was the president of The Screen Actors Guild. And a big part of the McCarthy campaign blacklisting people in the entertainment industry for being "communist." He was a 'B' movie star, costarring with a chimp named Bonzo! His military background reminds me of George W. Bush, who "served." Reagan and I quote: "Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his nearsightedness, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas."

I will not be put into the position of defending Reagan or a Bush. But to attack a man for acting with a chimp, while forgetting about Jimmy's battle on the rowboat with the "Killer Rabbit", seems myopic.

To me, in some ways, Thailand reminds me of the movie, "The Matrix", where the people live in a "fabricated world", while true reality goes on without their knowledge. Unfortunately for the people of Thailand, there is no "Neo" to save them.

While only living here full time for the past 3 years, I have been coming to Thailand since 1970, and in that time I have seen a lot of things change, and a lot of things stay the same. Many of the changes I have seen are not really for the betterment of Thailand as a whole, but only for a select few who cling to power by any means necessary. As for the things that have "stayed the same', in some ways that is also unfortunate, as there are far too many Thai living in the 18th Century, and have no idea that there is a big world out there that they know nothing about.

Rucharee, perhaps we were wrong in attacking your original comment the way we did, as we should have understood that you are merely a product of your environment, and "typical Thai" in your thinking, so perhaps it is not your fault that you would say something that the rest of us find completely asinine and laughable.

However, your last comments in regards to Thais educated in Thailand being unable to compete with Thai who are educated and raised in the West shows that perhaps you do have some cognitive thought processes, limited as they be. But with that comment you made, have you ever wondered why Thai parents who can afford it are so quick to ship their children off to the U.S. or UK, or even Australia to get an education? Do you think they do it just to show of their wealth? Or do you realize that they understand the Thai education system is a total and complete joke?

I also notice at the bottom of your postings you state: I am a born again YELLOW. Born again on 19-May-2010 at 13:00 hr.

From the date you have listed for being "born again", I am assuming that your "rebirth" has something to do with the recent protests by the UDD and Red Shirts. But let me ask you this. Do you REALLY understand PAD and the New Politics Party, and what they want to achieve? They want a Parliament that is 70% appointed. This "appointing" will be done by the Military and the BKK "elites", and the average Thai will have absolutely NO voice in the matter. As for the 30% who will be "elected", again, only the upper Military Brass, the BKK elites, and those with Master's Degrees from reputable universities will be allowed to vote. The core leader of PAD, Sondhi Limthongkul, has stated many times that the rural poor, the overwhelming majority of Thai, are "too stupid to vote and should not be allowed to vote". And while I may not be a UDD or Red supporter, although I believe the majority of them are honest people with real grievances, I would never, and could never, support a group who believe they have a mandate from God to rule over the "buffalos", as they call them, keeping them in slavery and ignorance for the benefit of a few. This is a man who also stated, during a speech at a U.S. University, that the coup happened because the "Old Money of Bangkok were losing their grip on things and wanted it back". A philosophy he supports 100%.

So let me ask you this. If PAD and the New Politics party could have their dream and take control of Thailand, where will you be when it is time to vote? Are you a BKK "elite"? Are you top military brass? Do you have a Master's degree from a university THEY recognize as being credible? If not, then you will find yourself being labeled as one of those "too stupid to vote" and your voice, and your choice, mean nothing. If you take the time to really study what it is that PAD stands for, you'll find that democracy is absolutely the last thing on their minds. They want to take Thailand backwards about 150 years where the rich rule with absolute power, and the average Thai is nothing but their slaves.

As for the OP, every ship in the U.S. Navy has a contingent of Marines aboard. Being a 20 year Marine Corps veteran myself, I can tell you that these guys are not selected for their good looks and manners, but for their ability to fight and maintain order. If I had been the Naval Commander at the time, I would have gathered all the Marines together and told them: "Over there," pointing in the direction of the bars and girls, "are bars, beers, and babes. But some locals are preventing you from getting to them. I'm going to go over here and check out the beach for about 10 minutes and you guys are free to do whatever you feel like." That "blockade" would have been gone in about 3 minutes, and the only "negotiating" that would have taken place was how to transport the wounded and maimed tuk tuk drivers to the hospital.

Simper Fi

Edited by Just1Voice

The topic at hand is:-

Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

and not the Khrap that you have posted about. So lets get back to the topic at hand :)

:D