Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if I have upset so many Farang in Thailand & Phuket in particular.

My intention is noble.

I just want the local Thai people to get a fair share of Thailand's economy.

The bulk of it is already in the hand of Chinese, Farang, Indian, and the Arabs.

Leaving local Thai men mostly as farmers, and local Thai women mostly working the the industry that I rather not mention.

I use the word most, as exception does apply to the fortunate few.

Loaded with bigotry, jealousy and sweeping generalisations. Well done, you'll go far. :)

Oh here we go again. I was being told be a local that the reason the land on Phuket is so expensive is because the farang pushed the prices up. Yes well, who sold it to them then?dry.gif

Farang (using proxy companies) came and bought up Thai land at a very low price from local farmers.

Then they mark up 20 to 30 times.

Then they sell it back to Thai people.

Thai people have no choice, as almost all are in Farang hand.

Farang have to much money, they buy yacht (from Europe) and build marina using poor labor (from Myanmar).

Thai people don't even allowed to work in the construction sites.

There was even rumor from PAD (Sondhi) that Farang want to turn Phuket into Republic of Singapore II (i.e. Singapore buy the whole Island)

Khun Rucharee I donot know if you are Thai or a falang ( trying to wind up people on this forum) but if you are a Thai you should know more about your own country and who controls what and how much they control. I would say you have the education and thinking capacity of a ten year old. Go away and educate yourself then come back and hopefully you will be able to make better and more informed commits.

I apologize if I have upset so many Farang in Thailand & Phuket in particular.

My intention is noble.

I just want the local Thai people to get a fair share of Thailand's economy.

The bulk of it is already in the hand of Chinese, Farang, Indian, and the Arabs.

Leaving local Thai men mostly as farmers, and local Thai women mostly working the the industry that I rather not mention.

I use the word most, as exception does apply to the fortunate few.

Loaded with bigotry, jealousy and sweeping generalisations. Well done, you'll go far. :)

Rucharee, your economic naievety about how this country works is astonishing.

For nearly 100 years now the enemy has been painted as the white man who had never really shown any colonial desire for Thailand anyway.

Whilst people were screaming he is "selling the country" it was sold out from under the noses of the rural Thai's anyway. There is no foreign domination of the land business in this country, unless you count relatives from Shenzhen. The concentration of area of land in the hands of the few is astonishing in Thailand. The insatiable greed of the landed slumlords will consign even the most luxurious apartment owners in Bangkok to sit for 2 hours to drive 3 kms in only 5 years time. The avarice and influence of the landowners of Thailand is to be seen in the traffic disaster that downtown Bangkok is today.

The best thing that could ever happen to Thailand would be to break the monopoly that Thai(Chinese) business has on business policy in this country. They have no social conscience for their actions (and I have worked for them). 40%+ of the population of the country is in agriculture and yet they are barely above the poverty level 50 years after serious agricultural exporters found markets outside Thailand. Meanwhile their land is getting sucked up between the banks, loan sharks and companies who finance them.

What you say allow a few foreign conglomerates enter the industry and bid alongside the Thai oligarchs? Abhisit doesn't have a bullet proof vest that thick to dare try and pass a law like that.

As for land ownership, well, I take the view if Thailand doesn't want my money, I have given my house to my wife and kids, and I won't invest 1 baht more for land in Thailand. It isn't much of a protest, but I will not play this land game with my earnings/savings.

Yes... Didn't you read the article either? It is I think the newest US Aircraft carrier. Many US ships are named after US President's

The really discordant name, of course, is the USS Jimmy Carter.

What? At least he was a Navy officer! Reagan was the president of The Screen Actors Guild. And a big part of the McCarthy campaign blacklisting people in the entertainment industry for being "communist." He was a 'B' movie star, costarring with a chimp named Bonzo! His military background reminds me of George W. Bush, who "served." Reagan and I quote: "Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his nearsightedness, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas."

And the USS Jimmy Carter is in fact the most sophisticated and advanced ship in the sea today. Pretty good for a peanut farmer...Eh?:)

I personally hope that the United States Navy pulls out of Phuket now and lets the authorities stew in their arrogance.

Well I hope they don't....it's slow enough here without anymore bad things happening !

And by your comment I can see you only want the worst for Phuket....hope you don't live here,

if you do , you should move! Everyone here knows how terrible the TUK_TUK situation gets,

if it was your rice bowl that was affected by USN $$$ , maybe you'd see things clearer !

But the whole island benefits or loses with bad press , or even bad comments !

Khun Rucharee I donot know if you are Thai or a falang ( trying to wind up people on this forum) but if you are a Thai you should know more about your own country and who controls what and how much they control. I would say you have the education and thinking capacity of a ten year old. Go away and educate yourself then come back and hopefully you will be able to make better and more informed commits.

I am the product of my country education system.

Unlike your education system, I do not THINK. I am not allowed to THINK.

I am only taught to see, listen, memorize, and dictate it out.

We have no rights to even question, as it will embarrass our teacher, if he/she cannot answer; and we will be punished bu standing outside our classroom for humiliation.

Why do you see Thai student burn down their school?

Because he was taught to see, listen, memorize, and dictate it out (the recent arson attack in BKK and many places in outside BKK).

If you say thinking capacity of a ten year old, I may agree, if you compare to a ten yer old farang.

But I will contest, if you compare to a ten yer old Thai people.

I have seen, listed, memorized, a lot from the PAD, UDD and now CRES.

I am only dictating it out.

Go ahead and blame Thai education if you want. But it is not going to change this fact.

Not many people outside Bangkok have the chance to attend EP (English Program), IS (International School) or have the benefits of the elite to study overseas like Mark did.

I apologize if I am a just another typical local people to you.

Well I hope they don't....it's slow enough here without anymore bad things happening !

And by your comment I can see you only want the worst for Phuket....hope you don't live here,

if you do , you should move! Everyone here knows how terrible the TUK_TUK situation gets,

if it was your rice bowl that was affected by USN $$$ , maybe you'd see things clearer !

But the whole island benefits or loses with bad press , or even bad comments !

Maybe its time for the Phuket residents to make a stand against the Tuk Tuk Mafia, after all these guys are now causing damage to your home, your livelihoods and the prosperity of your island. I lived on Phuket for 5 years, i wouldnt use the Tuk Tuk's unless absolutely necessary, they are greedy, nasty little bar-stewards and should be removed from the Island

Khun Rucharee I do not know if you are Thai or a falang ( trying to wind up people on this forum)

If you or any other poster still need any further proof that it is definitely the latter, the confirmation is provided in the falang's reply to you

Khun Rucharee I do not know if you are Thai or a falang ( trying to wind up people on this forum)

If you or any other poster still need any further proof that it is definitely the latter, the confirmation is provided in the falang's reply to you

//reply in Thai language deleted //Admin

Edited by webfact
Thai language is only allowed in Thai lanuage forum //Admin

Hi folks. This is my first post here. I have been a member of TV since a few years but never could find enough courage to post anything here... TV has some very erudite and intelligent members -that's why I bother to check on TV every other day- but also a few with nothing to do but chastise and criticize a post for a grammar or spelling error. I am "farang" but not an English Native... so please bare with me.

This thread started with Pattaya's tuktuks and now seems to be about Phuket Tuks as well.

I have lived in both places and don't know which is worse, both are mafias, use intimidation or pure violence and are destroying what once were great/good tourist destinations.

When I arrived in Thailand 25 years ago, the tuk tuk (and the bus) were my favorite way of going around Bkk, un-metered taxis were available but too expensive for a teenager. A few years later a miracle happened: Metered taxis started showing up in Bkk, they were safer, comfortable, had insurance and were, surprise, much cheaper then the Tuk Tuk. Very soon nobody (Thai or long staying farangs) used these poor Tuk Tuk anymore and they were left with "first timer" tourists around Kaosan, Patpong and Nana. Of course there were so many Tuk Tuk available that it became a war of who would be able to pick-up customers, were and who would be able to park to await the gullible tourist. Several "groups" were created and it ended-up with which group (aka mafia) could provide most protection money. All kinds of scams had to be invented, mostly dealing with Jewelry and drugs. But mostly there were/was no violence involved. It was/is the capital, the City of Angels, after all.

Now in Phuket things happened differently: The local mob saw what happened in Bkk and (I believe) they swore it would not happen again.

I sure was surprised when (6 yrs ago) I saw a Taxi meter -exactly like a Bkk Taxi- crossing Phuket town, I chased him with my motorcycle because I thought I had seen a Phuket No Plate, that was fantastic, unbelievable.. A miracle had happened in Bkk a few years earlier, but who would dare challenge the Phuket TT Mafia? Anyhow I got the tel number of the newly created company and I used these metered taxis a few times. from Phuket Town to a touristic area (Kata-Karon-Patong), the problem was that they wouldn't even wait 10 minutes for me to go back to the town, they were shaking with fear and just wanted to get away from those tourist ghettos.

A month later one of the meter taxi drivers got beaten up severely right in Phuket's Airport. Nowadays Taxi-meters in Phuket are rarely seen, and when I see one I can't help but think: this guy's got balls, or he just got here...

Why a Tuk Tuk ride? Well it is -and still is- a "symbol" of Thailand in most tourists minds, such as a brand of Beer that few Thais drink anymore. The floating market is another example of how tourists get swindled in their effort to live something authentic..

All this said, Phuket is still a great place to live, just avoid Patong and the TukTuk mafia, it's a big island after all!

Best regards.

R.

I never seem to hear anything good about Phuket. I have two friends that have been there (each separately) and they both said it was a total ripoff. From the attractions to the infamous tuktuk drivers. Most of the things I read on this forum regarding Phuket are also unfavorable. Such a pity. When will the Thai people wake up and start realizing they are killing (or have killed) the golden goose? I know I know..................TIT...................sigh..........................

It happens in many places in the world. The successful tourist areas all attract the fast buck merchants. You can look upon it as a negative or a positive. There's plenty of places with better beaches, and cheaper accommodations than Phuket that don't suffer the same fate because the dirtbags and scam artists all go for the bright lights of the biggest target. Big resorts are kind of like a filter in that way.

ya there are problems world wide, but being dishonest isnt the best way to improve things is it???

2000 baht, for a average 50 baht journey??

is this reasonable at all?? rachanee??

how about if i wanted to charge u 2000 bt for a fake hello kitty hand bag? fair?

chinese OWN this country. and until u realise that, ur uncles and brothers will continue to sit in the street all day drinking and over-charging people for dangerous driving and bad attitude.

ef

but lets ignore the obvious eh?

and say 'farangs' did it. look out! theyre gonna buy phuket...!

e2a - i cant THINK.... THINKING hurts!! dont send me to the corridor!! i might start THINKING if im left alone with my THOUGHTS.

Edited by edgarfriendly

Hi folks. This is my first post here. I have been a member of TV since a few years but never could find enough courage to post anything here... TV has some very erudite and intelligent members -that's why I bother to check on TV every other day- but also a few with nothing to do but chastise and criticize a post for a grammar or spelling error. I am "farang" but not an English Native... so please bare with me.

This thread started with Pattaya's tuktuks and now seems to be about Phuket Tuks as well.

I have lived in both places and don't know which is worse, both are mafias, use intimidation or pure violence and are destroying what once were great/good tourist destinations.

When I arrived in Thailand 25 years ago, the tuk tuk (and the bus) were my favorite way of going around Bkk, un-metered taxis were available but too expensive for a teenager. A few years later a miracle happened: Metered taxis started showing up in Bkk, they were safer, comfortable, had insurance and were, surprise, much cheaper then the Tuk Tuk. Very soon nobody (Thai or long staying farangs) used these poor Tuk Tuk anymore and they were left with "first timer" tourists around Kaosan, Patpong and Nana. Of course there were so many Tuk Tuk available that it became a war of who would be able to pick-up customers, were and who would be able to park to await the gullible tourist. Several "groups" were created and it ended-up with which group (aka mafia) could provide most protection money. All kinds of scams had to be invented, mostly dealing with Jewelry and drugs. But mostly there were/was no violence involved. It was/is the capital, the City of Angels, after all.

Now in Phuket things happened differently: The local mob saw what happened in Bkk and (I believe) they swore it would not happen again.

I sure was surprised when (6 yrs ago) I saw a Taxi meter -exactly like a Bkk Taxi- crossing Phuket town, I chased him with my motorcycle because I thought I had seen a Phuket No Plate, that was fantastic, unbelievable.. A miracle had happened in Bkk a few years earlier, but who would dare challenge the Phuket TT Mafia? Anyhow I got the tel number of the newly created company and I used these metered taxis a few times. from Phuket Town to a touristic area (Kata-Karon-Patong), the problem was that they wouldn't even wait 10 minutes for me to go back to the town, they were shaking with fear and just wanted to get away from those tourist ghettos.

A month later one of the meter taxi drivers got beaten up severely right in Phuket's Airport. Nowadays Taxi-meters in Phuket are rarely seen, and when I see one I can't help but think: this guy's got balls, or he just got here...

Why a Tuk Tuk ride? Well it is -and still is- a "symbol" of Thailand in most tourists minds, such as a brand of Beer that few Thais drink anymore. The floating market is another example of how tourists get swindled in their effort to live something authentic..

All this said, Phuket is still a great place to live, just avoid Patong and the TukTuk mafia, it's a big island after all!

Best regards.

R.

Tuk Tuk is a national treasure, nation symbol, national icon, nation pride, and unique to Thailand.

An farang came, and want to take away tuk tuk, and turn everything to the world's standard meter taxi.

Isn't Tuk Tuk is what farang comes to see in Amazing Thailand?

What's next?

Somtum is disgusting not not fit for consumption.

All Thai must eat Hamburger & Fried Chicken?

Tuk Tuk is a national treasure, nation symbol, national icon, nation pride, and unique to Thailand.

An farang came, and want to take away tuk tuk, and turn everything to the world's standard meter taxi.

What's next?

Rucharee your trolling is getting a bit derivative. Good enough for the singlet wearing, Leo swilling crowd but your losing fans. I need something to keep me interested, to keep me coming back from say Mafia Wars, or Farmville

Oh right and the original tuk tuks which you can still see in the original form in a few upcountry towns came from Japan. In the US they were 1960's Ice Cream vehicles selling to kids during the summer vacation. Granted the Thais decided to make alterations and Bravo to that. Still doesn't change the issue, the US should just cancel out shore leave and Cobra Gold. The Chinese can pick that up. :D .

Tuk tuks are not unique to Thailand, and what foreigner in their right mind wants to sit in one of those dirty, uncomfortable and dangerous bits of scrap metal!

Tuk tuks are not unique to Thailand, and what foreigner in their right mind wants to sit in one of those dirty, uncomfortable and dangerous bits of scrap metal!

It's also not the main reason people come to thailand. Depending on your demographic that can range from White sand beaches to cheap alcohol (and women) - i bet if you stood at the airport and asked the question of every tourist who arrives in Thailand, you would get a very very low percentage of people who come here for the Tuk Tuk's ;)

Might want to reread the article before making blatently incorrect statements. The vans used are a local hire, they don't visit their own bars, nor do they bring beer from America to drink. Many might want to have girls from the Philippines, but after being in the gulf for 97 days, where would they get them?

And 14 containers of supplies. “People think the only benefit to the local economy is the money sailors spend on nightlife, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. When the USS Ronald Reagan was here they loaded 14 containers of supplies. It is a huge.

Heard they were trying to get a Navy ship in for the navy league independence day charity event 4th july. with American beers bud, millers etc Yum Yum cant wait. But the ship is a no go for sure now. I doubt the phillipine girls as well. American beer for sure

What's next?

Oh, please!

You can get tuk-tuks all over SE Asia.

IN Bangkok you rarely see lcoal people in use them, they prefer motobikes or regualr taxis. I quit eliek tuk-tuks in the country , but in the city the drivers often overcharge and often drive people way off their destinations. Or worse ,will drive you part way and then dump you. Frankly tuk-tuks are not good for the torusit indsutry. They are overpriced, unregulated and often dangerous.

Edited by BlueTerrace

What's next?

Tuk Tuk is a national treasure? Well then we should not be scared of it for too long, Thai will be able to destroy it as they are doing with Ayuthaya!

Unique in Thailand? Strange I saw some in the other Thailand called Laos!

If the Tuk Tuk stop cheating on foreigners (and Thais) maybe people would start taking them? But it might need some thinking to come to this conclusion and as YOU mentioned before Thais are not trained to think!

Agree with the general sentiments expressed but do understand it's low season (after years of low high-seasons) so money it tight. It's just such bad form for the TT drivers to all converge in a scrum like this and attempt to gouge visitors like this. (I assume the deep-water port in on the east-coast side mid-island the it's maybe a 20-30 minute ride over the mountain to Patong, so B2000 per person is ridiculous.) Now, having been to Phuket many times, I know these drivers (and their "masters" are pond scum) but even scumbags have to eat (unfortunately). So why not organize something reasonable like maybe 200 baht per person and stick 2 sailors in each TT...generating a cool 400 baht a trip (and of course, they could arrange time and place for a return trip for the same price as well. That would be a nice bit of work for most drivers no?

better yet, why not just go somewhere else?