Passion, Passionate, Passionately

greenwanderer108

I asked all my Thai friends (in Thai) a word that portrays "passion" in Thai accurately.

For example, in English I would say: That artist/musician has a lot of passion.

He plays the piano with passion.

He paints so passionately.

Or in another sense: She makes love pattionately. He gave all his passion when kissing her hand.

None of my friends could give me a word I'm satisfied with--adverb, or absract noun--just some rewording of my literal explanation i.e. เขาเล็นจากใจ เขาเล็นเต็มใจ เขาทำอะไรก็ไดยังเต็มใจ

I don't want to use จากใจ or เต็มใจ cause it's the same in English. I could say: The musician plays from his heart. She kissed him will all her heart. That's why there is the word passion. Surely, Thai language, such an emotional and romantic one at that must have loads of precise words for passion.

In the Lexitron dictionary, I found three words I'm not familliar with regarding passion:

ความหลงใหล กิเลส และ ตัณหาจัด perhaps one/all of these words is what I'm looking for but can someone shed more light on the usage of these or introduce any other words that will portray the accurate use as in the English examples I gave.

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, there isn't a word in Thai to express "passion". It is simply not in the culture.

If you're talking about art, I'd suggest using "เปี่ยมไปด้วยอารมณ์ความรู้สึก" (full of emotions)

Or perhaps: "ทุ่มเทชีวิตและจิตใจ/จิตวิญญาณ" (devote one's life and heart/soul)

Some rough mess-around-with-words translation:

That artist/musician has a lot of passion.

จิตรกร/นักดนตรีผู้นั้นมีจิตวิญญาณที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยศิลปะ (literally: have a soul of art)

He plays the piano with passion.

เขาเล่นเปียโนเปี่ยมไปด้วยอารมณ์ความรู้สึก

เสียงเปียโนของเขาเปี่ยมไปด้วยอารมณ์ความรู้สึก

He paints so passionately.

เขาวาดภาพราวกับได้เทชีวิตจิตใจทั้งหมดลงไปในฝีพู่กัน (he paints as if he has poured all his life and soul into his brush strokes)

Or in another sense: She makes love pattionately. He gave all his passion when kissing her hand.

I'm not sure about this one. But if you're referring to a kiss, you can say "จูบอย่างดูดดื่ม" (which doesn't sound so good in Thai as it does in English)

ความหลงใหล กิเลส และ ตัณหาจัด --- these words do not mean passion in that kind of sense.

ความหลงใหล - obsession/fascination

It can mean a passionate obsession, like

เขาหลงใหลกลิ่นกาแฟ

เขาหลงใหลในความงามของเธอ He's head over heels in love with her beauty

กิเลส - this is "passion" in the sense of "sin" / "sinful desire"

Therefore, Buddhism teach people to ละกิเลส -- abandon your passion/desire

ตัณหาจัด - this is simply "lustful", and has a very negative meaning.

ขอแสดงความยินดีนใการต้อนรับ คุณชลการ สู่ :o Language Forum! :D

That was a really thorough, informative and impressive explanation. Thank you so much for the effort, and I really hope we will see more of you here in the future.

Cheers,

Meadish

This may help;

passion (n.);

1. Strong feeling or emotion

= อารมณ์หรือความรู้สึกที่หนักแน่น aa-rom rĕu kwaam róo-sèuk têe nàk nâen

2. Intense passion or emotion

= อารมณ์หรือความรู้สึกที่รุนแรง เร่าร้อน aa-rom rĕu kwaam róo-sèuk têe roon raeng râo rón

3. Something that is desired intensely

= กิเลส gì-lêt

4. An irrational but irresistible motive for a belief or action

= หลงไหล , งมงาย lŏng lăi , ngom-ngaai

5. A feeling of strong sexual desire

= ความใคร่ , ตัณหาจัด kwaam krâi , dtan-hăa jàt

6. Any object of warm affection or devotion

= การหลงไหลในสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่ง gaan lŏng lăi nai sìng dai sìng nèung

passionately(adv.);

1. With passion

= อย่างเร่าร้อน, อย่างดูดดื่ม , อย่างดื่มด่ำ

yàang râo rón , yàang dòot dèum , yàang dèum-dàm

2. In a stormy or violent manner

= อย่างดุเดือด , อย่างรุนแรง , ใส่อารมณ์

yàang dòo dèuat , yàang roon raeng , sài aa-rom

passionate (adj.);

1. Having or expressing strong emotions

= เกี่ยวกับอารมณ์ที่หนักแน่น, รุนแรง, ดุเดือด gìeow gàp aa-rom têe nàk nâen roon raeng dòo dèuat

Thanks, that was very insightful...though I wish I could say it easier. There must be a simple abstract noun that is similar...as in a word with ความ. Let's say this were an exam question format... What would be the closest/most accurate word to fit in this blank.

i.e. ความรัก = love (as in ฉันมองเธอก็มีความรัก I look at her/him and have love)

ความตั่งใจ = intent (as in ฉันเรียนก็มีความตั่งใจ I study and have intent)

ความใคร่ = lust/desire (as in ฉันมองอีแนทก็มีความใคร่ :o I stare at Natt and have lust/ desire)

ความคิด = idea (as in ฉันอยู่เฉยๆก็มีความคิด I am humble and have an idea)

ความ _____ = passion (as in ฉันทำทุกๆอย่างก็มีความ ____ I do everything/anything and have passion)

so what can I use เปียมไปด้วย with? In your examples, you used it with emotions/feelings อารมณ์ความรู้สึก and art ศิลปะ. In this sense it sounds like it would logically work with any abstract noun or ความ words

i.e. ฉันจับมือเธอเปียมไปด้วยความรัก

ฉันจูบปากเธอเปียมไปด้วยความใคร่

do these sentances work gramatically---whether or not it's common to speak this way. Or is there some rule I'm missing here.

I just thought of what could fit in the above blank...ความทุ่มเท or...? Is there any others?

BTW, I think passion is so much part of Thai culture---why I'm so surprised that there is not a single word for it i.e...The art, music, cooking, love (professional or natural), etc. are all done with lots of passion in this country to make up for corners cut in other areas.

passionately(adv.);

1. With passion

= อย่างเร่าร้อน, อย่างดูดดื่ม , อย่างดื่มด่ำ

yàang râo rón , yàang dòot dèum  , yàang dèum-dàm

Thanks, that hit's close to the mark for expressive purposes. I've heard the first one used but not the last two. Are there specific contexts as in degree of emotion for these?

I/you/he/she studies passionately

I/you/he/she play/plays the guitar passionately

I argued at the debate with passion

or would all of these อย่าง adverb words work interchangeably for each one?

BTW I'm a horrible speller--Thai and English so please correct me if there's a mistake

Edited by greenwanderer108

Thanks for the welcome ^^

ฉันจับมือเธอเปียมไปด้วยความรัก

For these sentences, I think you need to add a noun to express what exactly is "full of love/lust"

เปี่ยมไปด้วย sounds rather poetic, so for that you'll need nouns sound beautiful enough to go with it, like หัวใจ จิตใจ แววตา สัมผัส etc... Also, it is used only in sentences that have a positive meaning

เปี่ยมไปด้วย

Examples:

หัวใจที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความรัก

แววตาที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความคาดหวัง

สัมผัสที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความอ่อนโยน

However, if you want to say something negative or neutral, you can use เต็มไปด้วย instead. Examples:

บรรยากาศเต็มไปด้วยความตึงเครียด

หนึ่งปีที่เต็มไปด้วยการรอคอย

อากาศเต็มไปด้วยกลิ่นคาวเลือด

อย่างเร่าร้อน, อย่างดูดดื่ม , อย่างดื่มด่ำ

อย่างเร่าร้อน = fiery (in a rather sensual way)

อย่างดูดดื่ม = filled with passion (used especially with a kiss)

อย่างดื่มด่ำ = deeply enjoying (used mostly with music, scenery, nature)

But I honestly can't come up with a single word that would fit the gap in ความ....... = passion. I think it depends on the context which word to choose.

^^

Thanks for the welcome ^^

ฉันจับมือเธอเปียมไปด้วยความรัก

For these sentences, I think you need to add a noun to express what exactly is "full of love/lust"

เปี่ยมไปด้วย sounds rather poetic, so for that you'll need nouns sound beautiful enough to go with it, like หัวใจ จิตใจ แววตา สัมผัส etc... Also, it is used only in sentences that have a positive meaning

เปี่ยมไปด้วย

Examples:

หัวใจที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความรัก

แววตาที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความคาดหวัง

สัมผัสที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความอ่อนโยน

However, if you want to say something negative or neutral, you can use เต็มไปด้วย instead. Examples:

บรรยากาศเต็มไปด้วยความตึงเครียด

หนึ่งปีที่เต็มไปด้วยการรอคอย

อากาศเต็มไปด้วยกลิ่นคาวเลือด

อย่างเร่าร้อน, อย่างดูดดื่ม , อย่างดื่มด่ำ

อย่างเร่าร้อน = fiery (in a rather sensual way)

อย่างดูดดื่ม = filled with passion (used especially with a kiss)

อย่างดื่มด่ำ = deeply enjoying (used mostly with music, scenery, nature)

But I honestly can't come up with a single word that would fit the gap in ความ....... = passion.  I think it depends on the context which word to choose.

^^

Thanks a bunch---much more clear for me now

BTW, I think passion is so much part of Thai culture---why I'm so surprised that there is not a single word for it i.e...The art, music, cooking, love (professional or natural), etc. are all done with lots of passion in this country to make up for corners cut in other areas.

thats exactly the reason why there are more than one way to express the feelings: just look at all the 'jai' words

there are subtle differences among the types of passion that people would want to differentiate between... for anglos, passion is passion (and rather dull, no?)

BTW many different words for 'anger' also, whereas we would just say angry, thai have difference limits/versions of anger (in direct correlation to how long the person intends to not speak to you, :o )