Pattaya Tour Company Scam Uncovered By Angry Foreign Customers

Rimmer

I still don't get why people wouldn't just book online where most of the time you can get much better deal...

If those crooks were to start getting their heads bushed in with baseball bats or if they started disappearing and turning up in the ocean or behind their business with a bullet in the head I bet you it wouldn't take long before this would stop :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book online direct with the airline, Better prices and never worry.

They say, "you cant cheat an honext man" go looking for a deal and u get one

you know this is not always the case.I use a local travel agent on Samui and will get a better price than online.

better than same airline on their website? and which one, for example? if say domestic Thai i am not surprised at all... with twice regular AA fares, sure they could pay so much commission that even Thai travel agent can discount and still have a nice profit

but, true said, good travel agents can do that sometimes

in Indonesia almost 2 months ago, my friends had Surabaya-Mataram ticket on Merpati for 281000 rupiah (roughly 1000 baht)

and, as Merpati does not accept foreign cards online, when i finally visited their office (in Malang), it was CLOSED (friday evening), my friends were flying next Monday, and another low-cost airline (Batavia) serving that route asked 377000 on their website

but, while going back and thinking about maybe i have to fly a day or two after my friends (and i had just about 10 days before returning to Jakarta), or take long and not really cheaper bus/ferry trip via Bali

i've just noticed an agency with no signs in English at all, only in Indonesian

so i gave it a try

and was amazed when they offered me 277000 on Batavia on Sun/Mon (just 2-3 days in advance), without any extra fees

well, after back home I've checked and found that it was Batavia who dropped price to 277000 that day (probably had too many seats left)

still, the agency hasn't charged me anything, they charged Battavia for.... 10000, or $1.1 (as the price listed in my ticket was 267000)

and i remind, this is a low-cost airline, which also flies not too ancient planes (B737-400 all 3 times I used it), unlike some other Indo low-costs, compared to those One-Two-GO's "birds" are fairly young :-D

so... i'm not totally against travel agencies

some can be good and even can offer bargain prices

unfortunately, all of them I saw in tourist-infested areas, including Pattaya, were not of that category

Edited by tryptamine

Better to book air tickets with the airlines direct. Thai travel agents used to be able to share some of their discount with customers but the airlines have cut that so much there is nothing they can share any more. Travel agents also usually want customers to pay the credit card commission which airlines don't. I can't see the agents add any value these days. Most cannot use the airline online reservation systems properly and you see them phoning a friend to make the reservation for them.

It may be safer to book online direct with the airline but certainly not cheaper,

i recently flew to London and back, and when i tried to book online all the airlines, Thaiairways, Britishairways and Evaair, were way over priced compared with the agents quotes,

I ended up saving 10000 bt by booking through an agent.

I really can't understand why this was the case as the same thing happened the year before too.

I still don't get why people wouldn't just book online where most of the time you can get much better deal...

well, i agree, not all the time (just above I wrote a story about that in Indonesia, and, as I was told by friends, in this country it's not so rare occasion), but mostly true, especially for cheaper flights

as for me, when i plan to fly somewhere

normally (as usually these are flights within SE Asia/India, where LCC's are abundant and cheap) first i check airlines themselves, including some exotic connection variants (why not to visit some another place for a few days and still pay cheaper, especially if no visa needed?)

however, sometimes I start from online booking engines, specifically if: 1) the trip is outside of that area and complex (they may have multi-airline deals), 2) the route is new to me (to have an idea from which price i should look down)

as of offline agencies... well, i may check too, if not satisfied with any options offered, or know about some flights on my route which aren't available online

but of course, i'll come there already knowing about general price for the dates needed

so won't pay more than if myself

would travel insurance pay out if you get scammed?

I owned a Travel Agency in the U.S. for years and one thing I learned was that: Almost anyone who paid by MAJOR CREDIT CARD got their money taking off their bill for their loss. Most credit card companies insure you against case of "value not received" (including bankruptsies)........ A lesson to be learned here --- USE YOUR CREDIT CARD.......

Edited to add another tip - When renting cars for hire, you can USUALLY decline their $20 per day CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) coverage because most Credit Card companies will give you that protection for free. BUT, check with your CC company to be sure you are covered before you do so. My AMERICAN EXPRESS card covers me in many countries of the world (probably not Third-World Countries)..............

Edited by sawadeeken

Why book you're ticket at a travel agency? Book it at internet,strait with the airline. Cheaper and safer.

Certainly safer, but not cheaper, especially the big airlines, i always check and they are always 20% more expensive online.

"It is thought that around 3 Million Baht's worth of flight tickets have not been booked with various airlines and around 50 more customers are thought to be affected by this."

As noted by other posters, it's unfortunate that the victims apparently were not aware of direct on-line booking via the Internet-- and they probably would have received a lower airfare as well as a valid written confirmation from the airline.

Maybe a word to the wise in the future? Caveat Emptor!

I have to say it's not always true. Last year I had occasion to travel to US. A travel agency in Bangkok (Mox Travel, if you want to know) offered me a fare on Korean Air that was about 20% lower than any fare I could find on the airline's own site, and equally under any other fare I could find on any airline's (or that of any other agency that I checked) web site. Booked, paid, confirmed, and no problems there and back again. I still think a good agent has value. Not in every case, but worth keeping your mind open.

Better to book air tickets with the airlines direct. Thai travel agents used to be able to share some of their discount with customers but the airlines have cut that so much there is nothing they can share any more. Travel agents also usually want customers to pay the credit card commission which airlines don't. I can't see the agents add any value these days. Most cannot use the airline online reservation systems properly and you see them phoning a friend to make the reservation for them.

It may be safer to book online direct with the airline but certainly not cheaper,

i recently flew to London and back, and when i tried to book online all the airlines, Thaiairways, Britishairways and Evaair, were way over priced compared with the agents quotes,

I ended up saving 10000 bt by booking through an agent.

I really can't understand why this was the case as the same thing happened the year before too.

Thai, British? maybe this explains?

these are normally quite expensive "major" airlines (though if say Thai has a nice, even a bit more expensive than competition, promo fare, sure I will fly)

also, as I've noticed about Thai, the fares posted on their website are often too high, but when I (once) contacted them by phone (that was in Moscow, Russia), the fare told me was around 30% less!!

and from Thailand, for many international destinations I can see only Y fare available, that is yearly/one-way and fully flexible, but not even close to cheap

so, maybe it was cheaper via agent than online, but still same or a bit more if talk with them directly? IMHO, not so difficult to check both and choose the cheaper one

also, were there just 3 options for you? how about a connecting flight?

that's how I've flown from and to Moscow since I started to live in Thailand/SE Asia

Swiss via Zurich to Bkk yearly ticket, then Etihad OW to Delhi, then again Etihad from Trivandrum to Moscow and 3 weeks later Bkk

would travel insurance pay out if you get scammed?

Happened to me and friends many years ago, a travel agent who i thought is trustable, Sikh owner (stayed myself in famous sikh golden temple in Amritsar a few days), in Khao San who took money in morning promising ticket in afternoon, disapeared with 100 tickets, i lost a Korea flight, never made it there yet...

Wow...have never heard of this happening before...but I guess it could easily be done. Interesting question is if you get a airline booking confirmation code (a legit one...not some receipt "Somchai" wrote out on some bill-pad) would the airlines have to honor it (and seek restitution from the agent themselves)?

I guess just another reason to book all your travel plans (hotels and airlines) online direct or with reputable online travel site...they have the best rates now anyways!

It happened to a (Thai) friend of my wife too, nearly 2 years ago.

I agree with the poster who said buy your tickets directly from the airlines. I bought a Thai Airways ticket (HKT-BKK) from a travel agent at my guesthouse in Chiang Mai in 2008 just before the airport closures. Because the flight was never taken, I went to the Thai Airways office to get my refund. They never had received the money. When I returned to the States, I called the travel agency (Chiangmai K.K. Travel) about ten times to request the refund. Each time I spoke to someone, I was told "the manager outside eating lunch," or "the manager in Bangkok today," and was told to call back at another time. I received another refund from Thai Airways during the closures, so I do not believe the airline was at fault. I never got the money back from Chiangmai K.K. Travel. Instead, my Visa Signature card credited my account and went after the agency on their own. I don't know what the outcome was. What did I learn? That I should have gone to the Thai Airways office in Chiang Mai and purchased the tickets through them.

Why book you're ticket at a travel agency? Book it at internet,strait with the airline. Cheaper and safer.

Certainly safer, but not cheaper, especially the big airlines, i always check and they are always 20% more expensive online.

Moreover, most deals from travel agency are refundable and rebookable (with fees). Most special direct deals from big airlines are non-refundable and not rebookable. I usually got a cheaper rate from travel agencies and haven't been cheated yet. I only bought from trustworthy travel agencies in Bangkok though, never bought from a shack with a cardboard sign in Pattaya.

This is why I always book my tickets directly with the airlines.

That's being a bit paranoid isn't it?

Nope, it's simply easier. Just go on their web site, book the tickets, and voila...ordnung must sein!

Who on earth uses a travel agent in the year 2010!

Been using a travel agent out of Dallas for many years. She is Thai & has always gotten us better prices than we could find online. Has saved several friends from Texas $200 to $300 on round trip flights from Austin-DFW to Thailand. We have gone online for years trying to beat her prices. So, yeah, there are still some of us "idiots" out here using travel agents - that we know personally.

"I have to say it's not always true. Last year I had occasion to travel to US. A travel agency in Bangkok ... offered me a fare on Korean Air that was about 20% lower than any fare I could find on the airline's own site"

No doubt there are exceptions and variables in most situations, but I did IT Tech-Support for a major U.S. Travel agency for 12 years. Whenever I needed to travel I would book everything through the agency so they would get the commission. As of about 2001, the owner told me that they would be happy to continue booking for me, but I could get a much better deal on the Internet.

The deals are not always directly with the airline website, but sites like Expedia, SideStep, and Travelzoo

Considering to have a travel agency license you need 10M Baht paid up capital you would think in that alone there would be grounds for arrest. The brown mafia have no difficulty in picking up any foreigner and detaining them on any verbal complaint indefinitely but a police warrant cannot be enacted for 4 days? I mean really - this country is really beyond belief in so many ways! Simply unbelievable. I guess they have had a 'word' and of course, received a payoff to allow the perp to run away!

What with airport scammers from King Power, tourists being left stranded, red shirts smashing down Royal Cliff, politics, continuing jumping suicides (does Pattaya hold the world record for death by dropping out of buildings?) and more hangings than any other country also as suicides and the victims somehow managing to put a plastic bag over their heads and trying the hands behind their backs - it is no wonder we all come for holidays and live here - the entertainment value is beyond belief!

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

Well Said.....

Perfect! True...Sad....LMAO....

Just one more reason to make any big ticket purchases via credit card. Many cards offer free flight insurance on tickets bought with the card, and in cases like this where you are scammed, a quick phonecall to your card company will usually see the funds released back to you, or at least put on hold so the scammer can't get access to the funds. You then normally have to fax/email them a standard form where you explain why you are contesting the charges, but you usually have a number of days after first reporting the problem to get that taken care of. Takes about 5 min.

n arrest warrant for Khun Sutirar is being prepared and is expected to be issued on 18th June

Just to give Khun Sutirar the time to make the money and himself disappear.

Legal and police system without hope.

Yes I was thinking the same thing, they are enjoying the rewards some where other then Pattaya;)

This is terrible. Its a common scam. My friend lost the prices of 2 tickets to England 4 years ago from another travel Agent in Chiang Mai. The Police where not interested. But threatened to arrest my friend if he caused a breach of the peace.

Another example that ripping people off in this country is fine but don't complain its not polite.

There is a silver lining to this. You have the option of returning to your home country where nobody rips anyone off.

Let's be realistic about this. In Thailand when you're ripped off it's only pennies compared with what you can lose in Farangland. At least you can keep your shirt.

Evidently not. I do the same. There is obviously no recourse once you've been scammed by these unscrupulous agents.

Same here. I'm somewhat surprised that there are those who would not, even without taking the risk of scamming into account. Local flights is one thing, but long haul with international carriers - there's so many booking agencies to choose from so prices are usually quite tight, and use of the credit card over the net pretty much ensures that there will be no problems. If internet usage of credit cards worries you (it doesn't me), then find the details of the flight and skype the company to make the booking. To be honest, companies like Opodo and Ebookers (sorry if that is perceived as advertising - it isn't meant to be) have hauled my nether regions out of the fire more frequently than I care to think about. Same goes for the hotel booking agencies.

Just one more reason to make any big ticket purchases via credit card. Many cards offer free flight insurance on tickets bought with the card, and in cases like this where you are scammed, a quick phonecall to your card company will usually see the funds released back to you, or at least put on hold so the scammer can't get access to the funds. You then normally have to fax/email them a standard form where you explain why you are contesting the charges, but you usually have a number of days after first reporting the problem to get that taken care of. Takes about 5 min.

Giving your credit card number to people who may trying to scam you is not the best defense, is it?

No its not paranoid its common sence.In the Uk no problem as travel agents are bonded but this is Thailand.Its also easy and safe to book with your credit card direct with airlines here on the internet....If you can't book a ticket on the internet you should be in a care home .Not a dig at you but the internet is childs play(easy) these days.Its easy to be responsible for your own fate here just needs a bit of forthought and forward planning.Dave

Here I am again. 25 years holidays and now 6 years and 10 months living in TH

I know, I should shut up (isaan - sauw wouuw or something like that)

I am a lucky man, I never really got ripped off, just because of 1 reason I never had money and still do not have.

I have my monthly income and in between I saved some $/baht.

Thai company or Thai bargirl/boy STEAL ALL YOU CAN FROM FARANG ,

because farang is baaaadddd

and the THAI PRAY to Buddha everyday (flowers, insences, money, new bottle open first shot on the road and on and on)

What do they pray for "OH MY LORD BUDDHA, please give me a drunk stupid farang I can rip-off.

I can make this story so much longer and write a book, same as most of you could do !!!

I REST MY CASE :D:):D :D :D :D :D

Edited by ronthai

These scams as has been said are not restricted to Thailand, the problem is in my view that the parties concerned who lost their money were probably seeking the cheapest deal.

The company they actually dealt with was no doubt the cheapest quote and away the would be consumers went away from the office without a care in the world gloating that they had got the cheapest deal possible.

The buyers should have checked out the company prior to making their final commitment ( i.e. payment) to assess the company's viability

Caveat Emptor

Latin, Let the buyer beware.] A warning that notifies a buyer that the goods he or she is buying are "as is," or subject to all defects.

When a sale is subject to this warning the purchaser assumes the risk that the product might be either defective or unsuitable to his or her needs.

This rule is not designed to shield sellers who engage in Fraud or bad faith dealing by making false or misleading representations about the quality or condition of a particular product. It merely summarizes the concept that a purchaser must examine, judge, and test a product considered for purchase himself or herself.

Caveat Emptor ( Let the buyer beware)

Edited by siampolee

Buying tickets on line is all very well "if you have a credit card".

Tried to do it without one?

Not everyone in the world has a credit card, so they use Travel Agents to purchase tickets for them.

Its only in the last few years that I have had a credit card, never had one in my native country (UK) which made it difficult to obtain one outside of it.

Last year I did not have a credit card and used Travel Agents (in Thailand) to sort out tickets.

Luckily did'nt have a problem....

Unfortunate for the people who were ripped off.

:)

No need for travel agents in this century.

Sounds like just the sort of thing that happens in the UK. Some of you think these things just happen in Thailand. Try being a tourist in Britain and you'll soon find out that these scams are plentiful there as well. There are bad people all over the world, so no point just blaming Thais.

Utter crap and you know it. Stop trolling.

I guess this tour company didn't have a TAT license, the TAT license bond should cover unpaid tickets, my understanding is the tour companies are not able to purchase tickets with amounts in excess of their bond.

:) The T.A.T. license means NOTHING. Our resort here on Samui was scammed for B20K when Quality Travel and Spa (Laksi) disappeared after prepaid and booked guests had left

Well said I am from London and I see people there and not just tourists being ripped of all the time, why is it the ex pats on this forum take great pleasure in putting Thailand in a bad light , I have been living here for 5 years now and I feel safer here than I do in my own country. Ok Thailand has its problems but so do other country's

This is terrible. Its a common scam. My friend lost the prices of 2 tickets to England 4 years ago from another travel Agent in Chiang Mai. The Police where not interested. But threatened to arrest my friend if he caused a breach of the peace.

Another example that ripping people off in this country is fine but don't complain its not polite.

Sounds like just the sort of thing that happens in the UK. Some of you think these things just happen in Thailand. Try being a tourist in Britain and you'll soon find out that these scams are plentiful there as well. There are bad people all over the world, so no point just blaming Thais.

Edited by goonerone