Pattaya Tour Company Scam Uncovered By Angry Foreign Customers

Rimmer

Here are two links to cases that have happened like this in the US. I am sure they happen in every country in the world. Has nothing to do with Pattaya or Thailand...it's a scam and they happen all over the world all too frequently. Using a credit card is your best bet to be safe and secure.

Just another reason for punters to bash Pattaya and/or Thailand...And in the US cases, nothing happened for a long time...same as what will happen here.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20100129_Travel_agent_accused_of_theft_in_airline_ticket_scam.html

Judge cautions victims of alleged travel agency fraud in Chelsea - The Boston Globe

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is terrible. Its a common scam. My friend lost the prices of 2 tickets to England 4 years ago from another travel Agent in Chiang Mai. The Police where not interested. But threatened to arrest my friend if he caused a breach of the peace.

Another example that ripping people off in this country is fine but don't complain its not polite.

Sounds like just the sort of thing that happens in the UK. Some of you think these things just happen in Thailand. Try being a tourist in Britain and you'll soon find out that these scams are plentiful there as well. There are bad people all over the world, so no point just blaming Thais.

Grow a pair and admit that a Thai has scammed people out of a lot of money and the police have publicly declared they won't arrest him for a few more days.

Nobody's suggesting these scams only happen in Thailand, but the way they're dealt with by the Law here is ridiculous.

Is its name 'North Pattaya Tour Company' ....or is that a phrase to describe it? It's important to name the specific company in cases like this.

Let's not be coy, like Thai politicians, when they uncover some bad stuff on a fellow politician, the most they do is name the first letter of the person's name.

....wouldn't want anyone to lose face, now would we?

And taking four days to issue a warrant - that's contemptible. The rip off artist will be long gone - and when he/she's spent the 3 million baht, that person will start up another travel agency scam in Bkk or Chiang Mai or ......

This is terrible. Its a common scam. My friend lost the prices of 2 tickets to England 4 years ago from another travel Agent in Chiang Mai. The Police where not interested. But threatened to arrest my friend if he caused a breach of the peace.

Another example that ripping people off in this country is fine but don't complain its not polite.

There is a silver lining to this. You have the option of returning to your home country where nobody rips anyone off.

Let's be realistic about this. In Thailand when you're ripped off it's only pennies compared with what you can lose in Farangland. At least you can keep your shirt.

Wish I was in a position to call it "only pennies" after being ripped off for a 50,000 bht flight.

There is a silver lining to this. You have the option of returning to your home country where nobody rips anyone off.

Let's be realistic about this. In Thailand when you're ripped off it's only pennies compared with what you can lose in Farangland. At least you can keep your shirt.

Wish I was in a position to call it "only pennies" after being ripped off for a 50,000 bht flight.

Putting it into perspective, that's only just over a thousand pounds isn't it.

The point I was really trying to make is that it becomes tiresome when people talk as though it's only in Thailand people get scammed. Some people seem to be looking for an excuse to dam_n Thailand.

Edited by tropo

Not all independent, I booked through Turkish Airline office round-trip "fully refundable" between Bangkok and Istanbul Turkey, however, when I cancelled the Thai Airline office in Bangkok charged a 25% processing fee and a 10% "rebanking fee", that came to about $750 US. Complaints to Turkish Airliners head office in Ankara, Turkey resulted in a request from them to the Thai office to explain their fee structure, so i got an email stating their fee structure. So it not just Thai independents who rip off customers.

Putting it into perspective, that's only just over a thousand pounds isn't it.

The point I was really trying to make is that it becomes tiresome when people talk as though it's only in Thailand people get scammed. Some people seem to be looking for an excuse to dam_n Thailand.

"Only" a thousand pounds?

Of course scams happen anywhere but this one crops up here in Thailand all to frequently.

A family of 2 or 3 people being ripped off together soon adds up to "only" 2 or 3 thousand pounds, not an insignificant sum and shouldn't be dismissed as "only pennies"

Of course scams happen anywhere but this one crops up here in Thailand all to frequently.

A family of 2 or 3 people being ripped off together soon adds up to "only" 2 or 3 thousand pounds, not an insignificant sum and shouldn't be dismissed as "only pennies"

Yeah, and 100 people being ripped off adds up to only 100,000 pounds.

You still missed the point of my original reply. Nevermind though, I'm done with it.

Peace.

Hear ye , Hear ye all defenders of the Kingdom , I could not give 1 iota about London Tokyo , Amsterdam , Toronto or any other city in the world , when I am in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand , I only care about how I am treated where I am situated at any particular time . Telling people they should have done this that or the other is hindsight , 20/20 vision for all you so smart people , telling a person their loss was only peanuts etc , etc , etc , what do I care ? I am lucky in as much as I have never been scammed by a travel agent , always got a price I was happy with and paid it , when I have had queries or problems or needed a flight date change , it has always been accomplished with a short visit , phone call , e-mail .I feel sorry for the people who have been scammed , but realy P@#&sed that the low-life/inifficient Thai police gave them little to no help . This is what should concern you BECAUSE YOU CHOSE TO LIVE IN THAILAND , YOU ADOPTED THE COUNTRY AS YOUR OWN FOR WHATEVER REASON , live with it the best way you know how , but please , please do not denigrate others who run into problems because YOU feel they are not as worldwise or intelligent as you . You are the ones who are not so smart , allowing all of the shambles Thailand has become to ensnarl you , then making up excuses to cover your own incompetent ass for living in it , if you have little that is pleasant to say , please keep it for the bar or your co-ed Thai companions , I feel sure you have the company that you deserve .

Yeah, and 100 people being ripped off adds up to only 100,000 pounds.

You still missed the point of my original reply. Nevermind though, I'm done with it.

Peace.

'

Your original reply reads as a go home if you don't like 'minor' scams such as this one which is harsh on anyone living here and has had a substantial amount of their earnings or savings stolen through no fault of their own.

Just wonder - why people do not use online booking available now from almost any airline (or, if too lazy to check all the options/can't find cheap tickets themselves, online travel agencies or ticket search engines) and resort to "offline" travel agencies, especially in Pattaya.

As they book tickets FROM Thailand, guess they live here for a while, and, as such, should be aware that travel agencies in Thailand are rip offs more often than no (or occasionally worse, as in this case).

Even in this day and age, a lot of people haven't got or have been declined Credit Cards. That's one possibility :)

Just wonder - why people do not use online booking available now from almost any airline (or, if too lazy to check all the options/can't find cheap tickets themselves, online travel agencies or ticket search engines) and resort to "offline" travel agencies, especially in Pattaya.

As they book tickets FROM Thailand, guess they live here for a while, and, as such, should be aware that travel agencies in Thailand are rip offs more often than no (or occasionally worse, as in this case).

Even in this day and age, a lot of people haven't got or have been declined Credit Cards. That's one possibility :)

Pls read my post #37 first.

I live in Thailand year round.

I did not used a CC because I was scammed in BKK with my card before. I stayed at a BKK hotel and paid with my CC. 3 months later I went to Europe and checked my mail. My CC was used in Londen and Tokyo while I was in Thailand and even crossed the border with Laos that very same day. Went to the police, my bank and the CC company immediately. My bank told me I was too late, as one has 1 month only to complain. Registered letters to the bank and CC company, and many calls did not help. I could clearly prove my CC was not stolen nor lost (I still had my original card) and I stayed in Thailand all time and crossed the border with Laos (with my pasport). I lost 4.000 euro (+/- 200.000 Baht) and not be refunded. My bank takes the money from my account immediately. The police told me the scammers just made a completely new card with my name and number on it and signed the back by themselves.

2 unpleasent and expensive things, amounting to about 320.000 Baht I lost.

To all those clever people who give strong words/advice and who think the victems are stupid and have no knowledge: be careful, it might happen to you.

There used to be a LEE TOUR on Soi Post Office - been there over 20 years, Is this the same outfit?

I beleive it's the same one. They moved to Naklua Road a few years ago. I have dealt with them (and the owner Su) on several occasions as have several of my friends. None of us had any problems and in fact have been more than happy with the service. So it is with surprise that I read this article. If she did defraud her customers, shame on her. It is indeed very disappointing news given how she has been more than helpful to me. Sometimes I wonder if locals are equally at the receiving end of an incompetent police force whose actions exacerbate simple mis-understandings. I am not defending her and there is no excuse if she is guilty, it's just that it seems a pity she had to do this when she is a competent travel agent who speaks several languages.

I wonder why those people paid and did not get some kind of confirmation from the airline booking system? I always received an e-ticket printout from her when I pay.

n arrest warrant for Khun Sutirar is being prepared and is expected to be issued on 18th June

Just to give Khun Sutirar the time to make the money and himself disappear.

Legal and police system without hope.

that's pretty amazing that it takes 4 days to prepare an arrest warrant! and advertising the fact to boot, amazing Thailand indeed

At least the police are better than in the UK, where they don't bother turning up at all if you you report a crime.

You are dreaming what are you on? or perhaps you are new here.

"Buying tickets on line is all very well "if you have a credit card"... Not everyone in the world has a credit card, so they use Travel Agents to purchase tickets for them."

Some Thai banks offer a Debit Card that can be used on-line, the same as you would use a Credit Card. Here's Bangkok Bank's blurb on their on-line card:

"With a Be1st Visa Debit Card you can make cash withdrawals at ATMs across Thailand and the world, and use it shop at any store in the world displaying a VISA sign. You can also use it to shop securely online. "

Your original reply reads as a go home if you don't like 'minor' scams such as this one which is harsh on anyone living here and has had a substantial amount of their earnings or savings stolen through no fault of their own.

Ok, if that's the way you read it, so be it. Go home and stop your complaining.

Pls read my post #37 first.

I live in Thailand year round.

I did not used a CC because I was scammed in BKK with my card before. I stayed at a BKK hotel and paid with my CC. 3 months later I went to Europe and checked my mail. My CC was used in Londen and Tokyo while I was in Thailand and even crossed the border with Laos that very same day. Went to the police, my bank and the CC company immediately. My bank told me I was too late, as one has 1 month only to complain. Registered letters to the bank and CC company, and many calls did not help. I could clearly prove my CC was not stolen nor lost (I still had my original card) and I stayed in Thailand all time and crossed the border with Laos (with my pasport). I lost 4.000 euro (+/- 200.000 Baht) and not be refunded. My bank takes the money from my account immediately. The police told me the scammers just made a completely new card with my name and number on it and signed the back by themselves.

2 unpleasent and expensive things, amounting to about 320.000 Baht I lost.

To all those clever people who give strong words/advice and who think the victems are stupid and have no knowledge: be careful, it might happen to you.

I wasn't responding to your post, but the guy who made the comment and there was no insinuation on my part to you. I read what you had to say, but haven't quoted you in any message..

Edited by Garry

Pattaya. Nuf said really.

If you dont agree... more fool you for living there.

Here we go again...yawn yawn and where do live that so much better?????

There happen to be a lot of foreigners Pattaya so statistically they there would be more problems.

right thats it

bloody pattaya

im packing my bags and movin on

NOT

There used to be a LEE TOUR on Soi Post Office - been there over 20 years, Is this the same outfit?

I beleive it's the same one. They moved to Naklua Road a few years ago. I have dealt with them (and the owner Su) on several occasions as have several of my friends. None of us had any problems and in fact have been more than happy with the service. So it is with surprise that I read this article. If she did defraud her customers, shame on her. It is indeed very disappointing news given how she has been more than helpful to me. Sometimes I wonder if locals are equally at the receiving end of an incompetent police force whose actions exacerbate simple mis-understandings. I am not defending her and there is no excuse if she is guilty, it's just that it seems a pity she had to do this when she is a competent travel agent who speaks several languages.

I wonder why those people paid and did not get some kind of confirmation from the airline booking system? I always received an e-ticket printout from her when I pay.

I used Lee Tour many times in the past when I lived in Pattaya and always found Su more than helpful. In fact some 20 years ago, my friends and I regarded her as a friend as we often booked hotels etc on behalf of incoming friends and she sat us down gave us coffee and we all had a chat together.. If she and her husband are guilty then shame on them but maybe there is more to this.

This happened last year in Chiangmai. Several people I know were scammed by the same agent on international flights. The police would do nothing about it and the agent just moved to another location and changed her name.

When you buy a plane ticket in Thailand make sure you are dealing with a reputable agent or a use a credit card. Unfortunately if you use a credit card they will also try to steal your credit card number but at least you wont lose your money if your bank is any good.

Sounds like just the sort of thing that happens in the UK. Some of you think these things just happen in Thailand. Try being a tourist in Britain and you'll soon find out that these scams are plentiful there as well. There are bad people all over the world, so no point just blaming Thais.

Agree, it's not that long ago that my home country finally got all travel agents under complete control. Today there's a multi pronged appraoch: a). Laws which govern the issue of travel agent licences, with requirements for agents to have customer deposit accounts which they cannot quickly drain. b)Travel agents simply cannot operate without a licence, strongly monitored with strong punishment for rougue operators. c). Industry self controls (mandated by the govt.) with strong punishment for the whole industry if there are transgressions.

In fact many ideas were tried but failed, and it took the strong actions described above to get the travel industry under control and I'm talking about a long-term first world country which has a very low corruption/graft ranking.

The travel industry fought off controls for decades and always claimed that controls would double the price of travel. It didn't, in fact it brought ticket prices down.

What this inducates to me is that there are people in every country regardless of first or third world who will try to scam people, unfortunate but true.

"Went to the police, my bank and the CC company immediately. My bank told me I was too late, as one has 1 month only to complain."

Don't know what country your credit card is from, but in the U.S. any fraudulent transaction that is reported to the bank within 30 days is subject to only a $50 charge, but in most cases no charge at all if fraud is evident.

These days, most banks offer a free service where any transaction that hits your account can be reported to you almost instantly via a mobile phone text-message or an eMail. Might sound like a pain in the butt, but could save a lot of cash!

Unfortunately not a new scam.

40 years ago I bought 2 tickets to LDN from SYD & I was tipped off that the agent was a bit naughty.

I contacted British Caledonian (in those days) and I don't know what they said to the guy,

but the tickets were delivered in person by the guy, 24 hrs before the flt..

He was well pissed, but we were lucky, some others weren't so fortunate.

BCal treated us like VIPs on the flt, to this day, I don't know why. :)

I passed out over Persia & woke up at Gatwick.....

I have purchased many tickets here in Thailand from ticket agents and have never had this happen to me. I do always go to a ticket agent that is well located and have been there for a long time. I have had my reservation given to me on a piece of paper and go back and receive my tickets. Lucky I guess.