Koh Samui To Be First Island 'free Of Drugs'

george

Koh Samui to be first island 'free of drugs'

SURAT THANI: -- Drug authorities plan to make Koh Samui the country's first drug-free island before moving on to do the same at other tourist spots.

Justice Minister Suwat Liptapanlop and Narcotics Control Board secretary-general Pol Lt-Gen Krissana Pholanant were on Koh Samui yesterday to launch the ''No-Drugs Island'' campaign ahead of United Nations Anti-Drugs Day on June 26.

The three-day nationwide campaign will kick off on Saturday.

''This is a pilot project. After that we will expand it to other islands in the country such as Koh Samet in Rayong province,'' said Mr Suwat.

The problems were intensifying as local and foreign tourists who chose to travel there after the Dec 26 tsunami hit resorts on the Andaman Sea had attracted drug dealers, the minister said.

Under the campaign, restaurant operators, public bus drivers and motorcycle taxi drivers will carry the message across the island. Anti-drug campaign stickers and flags are also being put up.

Local villagers will be recruited as volunteers to monitor drug movements and report to drug officials.

Koh Samui is one of three districts in the southern province facing a rapid spread of drugs, especially methamphetamines, said Mr Suwat. The other two districts are the provincial capital and Koh Phangan.

Koh Phangan's full moon party, which was visited by Mr Suwat and drug authorities last night, is notorious among foreign and local visitors for drugs.

Authorities have been keeping a close watch on the visitors to see if they bring drugs along with them to the party.

--Bangkok Post 2005-06-22

This is old news really. Thailand has been drug-free nationwide since 2003. That's what Thaksin reported then, anyway. If they got drugs on Samui is must be something brand new and if so, I'd stay indoors when the shooting begins as, in 2003, plenty of innocents got in the way.

Having just experienced my first full moon party on Koh Phangnan ,(never again)and prob being the oldest person there(46),I would like to see them try.

Walk to any quietish part of the beach and theres someone offering you whatever.

roscoe, the next brother-grimm-tale is: "Pattaya will be made a prostitute-free-zone by end of 2005"  .......sorry.....off topic, I apology for any inconvenience   :o

..come on Wolfie....surely Mr. Txn can do it by September :D