Tokays

jjkarwacki

Where might I find some information of the local lizard called a Tokay?  Two of these inhabit the roof eaves of the house adjacent to mine.  They are quite large (> 30 cm) and I am lead to believe that they bite.

As we have a two year old granddaughter who occasionally visits us, I am concerned for her welfare should she encounter one of them.  Their usual lair is on the roof just feet from my bedroom window.  As there is no direct connection between the houses, there is no reason to believe they cross over at any time.  Certainly, their distinctive call seems to come from the other house only.  

All in all, I'd like to know something of their behavior to better understand what to expect and if they are a threat to children in any way.

Can't say I ever saw an agressive Tokay (if you're meaning the spotted fellows who dwell around eaves/ceilings/walls).

The only scare you might get is the odd kamikaze, who after having had his romantic urges spurned - suddenly decides to fall from the roof and land on/in:

(choose one of the following)

-  your drink, always my scotch for some reason

-  your person, or

-  your dinner.

::o:

I Don't think they'll bite....

If you are speaking of geckos, they are primarily interested in insects and will quite readily flee from people, even little ones.  However, the Thai people like to teach their children that geckos come to eat the livers of naughty children, so better they behave...   :o

Chuck

I doubt that the tokay is known for dental hygiene so if you manage to corner one up in the eves and get bitten you will probably need to take an antibiotic.  But I have never heard of anyone having a problem with these fellows as they avoid any contact.  They are loud though and it still sound more like "f... y.." than "to kay" to me.