Name Them And Shame Them

:) Driving becomes more dangerous here every day. Lost a wing mirror from my trucks driver side descending the hill to Coral Cove when coming head on wrong side of the yellow line was the Atantica water truck coming from Lamai. I chased him to Chaweng where he paid me B500 for the damage, his reasoning "My truck is heavy with water so I have to speed up to get over the hill". Then this morning a white Homepro 6 wheel truck tailgated me down the hill past Coral Cove Chalet and passed me at 100 km/hr overtaking everyone ahead on blind corners. This truck has a blue tailgate and NO license plate. Beware !

Thanks, crust, for this thread. Driving around daily on the island I can tell, that people now drive even more careless.

Most dangerous: water trucks and (loaded) pick ups used for work (driver don't care much because it's not his car and he does not have much to loose in case...), medium to medium plus priced cars driven unusual slowly somewhere in the middle of the road (often Issan female's first car bought by her Farang) and rather older cars speeding around in heavy traffic (often driven by a neurotic who has to show the rest how quick he can drive)

Yesterday a group of ~12 year old pupils were speeding motorbikes at Bangrak with the one in the front (2 pupils on the bike)on the back wheel only the whole time. It certainly looked like an accident can happen any moment.

Thanks, crust, for this thread. Driving around daily on the island I can tell, that people now drive even more careless.

Most dangerous: water trucks and (loaded) pick ups used for work (driver don't care much because it's not his car and he does not have much to loose in case...), medium to medium plus priced cars driven unusual slowly somewhere in the middle of the road (often Issan female's first car bought by her Farang) and rather older cars speeding around in heavy traffic (often driven by a neurotic who has to show the rest how quick he can drive)

Yesterday a group of ~12 year old pupils were speeding motorbikes at Bangrak with the one in the front (2 pupils on the bike)on the back wheel only the whole time. It certainly looked like an accident can happen any moment.

The ones in their new flashy cars are usually busy talking into their mobile phones.... maybe getting driving instructions... :) and looking in to the mirror to make some minor corrections to their makeup.

The Red Bull/Lipo/M150 Speed freaks, are usually behind the wheel of the "working trucks" and delivery vans!

Had 3 Minibuses racing each other, coming head on, down the long stretch in Ban Bang Po..forcing me off the streets flashing their headlight, indicating they wouldn't move...!

Yep, this weekend was pretty bad, many, many kids out on the streets "racing" each other, not watching anything else - except their mates... Mae Nam Area

Overall, there are zero consequences for these ridiculous, selfish, idiotic Drivers sadly & we see this mindless idiocy on a daily baseless but it's not restricted to Samui or Thailand for that matter..

It's people & again, overall, people aren't that smart. or at least smart enough it seems to be able to drive safely.:)

the other morning i was on the donsak side waiting for the ferry at 8:00 am and i looked over and saw a couple of the 10 wheel truck drivers were passing a bottel of cheap thai whisky around the horn. :)

in true spirit jap.gif

the other morning i was on the donsak side waiting for the ferry at 8:00 am and i looked over and saw a couple of the 10 wheel truck drivers were passing a bottel of cheap thai whisky around the horn. :)

They just needed the whisky to come down from their yaba overdose. blink.gifblink.gif

At least Crusty isn't going on about bike riders!!!!!! :). Last night, around 10.00 PM, a friend of mine came off his Harley when a young Thai decided to suddenly turn right, with no indication. He had no lights either. My friend came off, trying to avoid the idiot, clipped the bike and crunched into a parked car. Dislocated shoulder and broken ribs. The Thai driver had no license and was drunk. We all arrived at the accident scene very quickly, followed by Samui Resue ( they did a great job!). And the BIB. A drunk policeman asked me for my license. I asked why. He said your bike, your accident. I explained that the rider had already been taken to Nathon Hospital. He shrugged his shoulders and staggered off. They decided it was all my friends fault. I asked why. "Farang", was the reply. Sometimes I feel like getting my AK47 out and shooting all the bast**rds.... :D

At least Crusty isn't going on about bike riders!!!!!! :). Last night, around 10.00 PM, a friend of mine came off his Harley when a young Thai decided to suddenly turn right, with no indication. He had no lights either. My friend came off, trying to avoid the idiot, clipped the bike and crunched into a parked car. Dislocated shoulder and broken ribs. The Thai driver had no license and was drunk. We all arrived at the accident scene very quickly, followed by Samui Resue ( they did a great job!). And the BIB. A drunk policeman asked me for my license. I asked why. He said your bike, your accident. I explained that the rider had already been taken to Nathon Hospital. He shrugged his shoulders and staggered off. They decided it was all my friends fault. I asked why. "Farang", was the reply. Sometimes I feel like getting my AK47 out and shooting all the bast**rds.... :D

That's F**ked. Sorry to hear that mate.

yes the roads are very dangerous. rememeber a good driver is always awear of others. have to presume that everyone is stupid and haven't seen u so u have to be ready for the un expected. first thing would be a driving liscence. not only thais though many westerners drive drunk all the time.

i dunno but there are many many accidents. shame we need rules to forces us to be carefull. if we all had a bit of common then everything would be alright.

don't drive drunk or on yaa baa. don't speed when driving a lorry cause they are hard to slow down. anyway it is the way it is so be carefull. TIT

i was once hit by a taxi, the police arrived, taxi number plate and number given by witnesses of the crash... and guess what, nothing !

it was my fault !, even those the taxi driver appeared drunk... no breath test... just on his way

Edited by Boater

Eagle,

It's not the first time something like this happened and as a general rule the 'Farang' is always to blame. Experienced this first hand a couple of times already. The MIB aren't even interested in taking Thai witnesses names and statements if they don't agree with their presumptions.

I was thinking of buying a recording dashboard camera, like the police car uses to capture some of the amazing idiot maneuvers I see everyday whilst driving. I could make a fortune selling clips to tv shows...

I mean how the hel_l can someone overtake on a blind f*cking corner going up a hill? I've seen that so many times. I know this is horrible but I really pray they hit a concrete truck doing this and are no long able to drive again. That could be me or you coming round the corner and here comes somchai, head on collision, good bye world... :)

Anyway, I guess it's part of life here on Samui. You have to remember most of these idiots were taught to drive by a member of family and not by a professional driving instructor, the car license test here is a joke as well.

Matt.

No need to get angry. The traffic here is the way it is. It's a part of daily Thai life. No one will change that in the near future for sure.

However seeing Farangs speeding on motorbikes wearing shorts and sandals only is really brainless.

sorry to hear about your friend. this sounds just like the accident i passed by in maenam on my way home. as it happens, i passed by another motorbike accident in bang por on my way out. the stretch of road between the bophut traffic light and maenam market is imho the most dangerous on the island.

This is a gilt edged example of why i have no intention whatsoever of staying here any longer than i have too. Unfortunately, it appears that due the the economic situation and lack of tourism here on Samui i'll have to stay longer than i'd wish. This is another example of the lawlessness and rampant xenophobia here that i despise and will certainly not be investing my money or my future in. Others may disagree, and if it works for you, then good luck.

Sorry for your friends accident and i hope he makes a full recovery.

No need to get angry. The traffic here is the way it is. It's a part of daily Thai life. No one will change that in the near future for sure.

However seeing Farangs speeding on motorbikes wearing shorts and sandals only is really brainless.

I saw a Farang picking himself up after he'd come of a red R1 coming down the hill between chaweng and lamai before Coral Cove. The idiot hadn't been wearing a t-shirt (I guess it might have helped a little) but his back was red raw, and I mean red, it was a pretty horrible site, not much skin left... bah.gif

Matt.

The very worst fo rme are the long wheel base mini buses owned by the resorts.The drivers think they have a licence to kill,push you or squeeze you off the road as they cut in.And just a general "bitch" here about the crazy thai drivers(young guys on bikes) who seem to have no idea about when to over take and when it might not be a good idea.And just to even things up,the young farang tourist on his first scooter/motorbike.

Riding a bike/scooter on the ring road is definitely "stressville"

The very worst fo rme are the long wheel base mini buses owned by the resorts.The drivers think they have a licence to kill,push you or squeeze you off the road as they cut in.And just a general "bitch" here about the crazy thai drivers(young guys on bikes) who seem to have no idea about when to over take and when it might not be a good idea.And just to even things up,the young farang tourist on his first scooter/motorbike.

Also keep clear of the Canopy Adventures pickup truck. The way this guy drives, he should never be permitted to carry passengers. grrrr !

Also keep clear of the Canopy Adventures pickup truck. The way this guy drives, he should never be permitted to carry passengers. grrrr !

Seconded, he nearly took me off my bike last week!

I read somewhere recently that Noel Edmonds has a black cab in London to help beat the traffic. Where can I buy a yellow taxi on Samui so I can race around the island with scant regard for the rest of you suckers?

Cheers and drive safely.....wear your helmets and any fat geezers wear a shirt <deleted>. :)

They argue in in the station house or court.

If you (falang) would have been at home,

and not here in racer country (layland),

there wouldn't have been an accident!

Ergo :" Your (falang) false! You pay!"

logig, ain't it?!?  :)

logig, ain't it?!? :)

No, it's a thoroughly vile, ignorant way of thinking actually.

logig, ain't it?!? :D

Oh ! Realy ?! That's exactly my point, mate! :)

Edited by frankman

logig, ain't it?!? :D

Oh ! Realy ?! That's exactly my point, mate! :)

I know, i just felt compelled to sat something :D

logig, ain't it?!?   :D

Oh ! Realy ?! That's exactly my point, mate!   :D

I know, i just felt compelled to sat something  :D

At least I hope others getting that point as well!

No worries!  :)