"มังกรการเมือง"

DavidHouston

Friends,

From Matichon Weekly comes:

"มังกรการเมือง นายบรรหาร ศิลปอาชา เคยกล่าวไว้ในช่วงการประกาศเคอร์ฟิวหลังวันที่ 19 พฤษภาคม ว่าเดือนมิถุนายนเป็นเดือนที่ต้องคอยระวัง"

Does the term "มังกรการเมือง" mean "wily old political veteran" or "respected elder statesman"?

The subject sentence might then be,

"That wily old political veteran, Banharn Silipa-acha, once said during the curfew imposed after May 19th, that we should be very careful during the month of June."

Or

"The respected elder statesman . . ."

Thanks.

I'd take a more literal tack and simply say "political dragon" so that readers could make of it what they will. I think the inference is closer to "wily old political veteran" than "respected elder statesman", though. I've always thought of dragons as being wily and powerful, but not necessarily old or respected. It could also be a sort of reference to his Chinese ancestry--I have a hard time picturing someone like, say, Newin as a dragon.

"Political dragon Banharn Silipa-acha . . ."

Peppy,

I don't think that metaphors thrive under conditions of ambiguity; clarity of reference enhances the power of the metaphor. Inquiring minds want to know how Thais consider dragons. I bet that the Thai concept of a dragon is very different than the Western concept -- Harry Potter to the contrary notwithstanding.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been unable to find anything in "ภาษาไทย ๕ นาที". I'll continue to look at some sources.

David, thanks for your comments.

You're right, different cultures may have different ideas of what dragons stand for--the Thai wikipedia article here--http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/มังกร--notes that while dragons are considered bad guys in Western culture, they're symbols of auspiciousness in China.

Searching for the term มังกรการเมือง returns oodles of hits involving our Mr. Banharn. Apparently it's a nickname of sorts; Wikipedia says:

นายบรรหารมีสมญานามมากมาย จากลักษณะเด่นหลายประการ เช่น มีฐานเสียงหนาแน่นอย่างที่สุดในจังหวัดสุพรรณบุรี มีสถานะเป็นเจ้าถิ่นจนได้สมญาว่า "มังกรสุพรรณ" หรือ "มังกรการเมือง" และเนื่องจากมีลักษณะคล้าย เติ้งเสี่ยวผิง อดีตผู้นำจีน สื่อมวลชนจึงนิยมเรียกนายบรรหารสั้น ๆ ว่า "เติ้ง" หรือ "เติ้งเสี่ยวหาร"

My translation: Mr. Banharn has many nicknames stemming from his many conspicuous characteristics. His wide support base in Supanburi province and status as a regional godfather have given him the nicknames "Dragon of Supan" or "Political Dragon", and due to his resemblance to former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping, the media often calls him simply "Deng", or "Deng Xiaoharn".

I knew he was called เติ้ง, but I didn't realize he was also known as a dragon. Perhaps the lead in for your translation of the Matichon sentence could read:

"Banharn Silpa-acha, the so-called "Political Dragon", . . .

Of course, that doesn't get us any closer to what Thais actually think of dragons. I'm still inclined to believe it's a reference to his wiles, power, and Chinese roots ("Wily and powerful Sino-Thai politician, Banharn Silpa-acha, . . ."). Unfortunately the Wiki article doesn't say why or when people started calling him a dragon, so this is just my own conjecture.

After googling around, I found these on the news;

- นายกรัฐมนตรีก็ได้มอบให้นายสุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ ไปประสานความเข้าใจ นับว่าครั้งนี้ใช้คนถูกคน เพราะนายสุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ เป็นมังกรการเมือง เป็นนักประสานผลประโยชน์ทางการเมืองที่ยอดเยี่ยมแห่งยุค

- คุณค่าของมังกรการเมืองอย่างร.ต.อ.เฉลิม คือต้นตำรับของการอภิปรายแนวสืบสวนสอบสวน ที่มีหลักฐานมาเป็นเครื่องประกอบการอภิปรายให้ประชาชนเห็นภาพชัดเจน และสามารถเข้าใจได้อย่างง่ายๆจนกลายเป็นต้นแบบของการอภิปรายที่ได้รับการยอมรับในรัฐสภาไทย

- แต่ถึงกระนั้นใครต่อใครก็จะประมาทนายเนวิน ชิดชอบ ไม่ได้เลย คนผู้นี้คือมังกรการเมืองผู้ยิ่งใหญ่ที่สุดแห่งยุค ที่ขณะนี้มีพลังทางการเมืองแก่กล้ายิ่งกว่ามังกรการเมืองรุ่นก่อน กระทั่งมังกรการเมืองรุ่นก่อนๆ บางคนก็ยอมตนค้อมหัวเข้าสวามิภักดิ์ด้วยแล้ว

- ในจำนวน 111 คนของพรรคไทยรักไทยที่ถูกตัดสิทธิ์ทางการเมือง นายพินิจ จารุสมบัติ มังกรการเมืองหนึ่งไม่เป็นสองรองใครอยู่แล้วนั่นไง

- แต่ที่แน่ๆ...หลังเจอพวกเสียสัจจะ...งานนี้ทำเอา “เซียนการเมือง-มังกรการเมือง” ถึงกับควันออกหู ประกาศเสียงดังฟังชัด...ให้คนกันเองรับรู้ว่า “แม่งคบไม่ได้จริงๆ”

- ทางด้านพลตรีสนั่น ขจรประศาสน์ หัวพรรคมหาชน ผู้เปรียบเหมือนมังกรการเมืองที่ตกอยู่ในน้ำบ่อน้อย ต้องทนเสียงพวกปลาซิวปลาสร้อยถากถางมายาวกว่าครึ่งทศวรรษผ่านมาหวังจะพลิกฟื้นคืนสถานการณ์ ทะยานขึ้นจากน้ำบ่อน้อย ได้ส่งลูก”ยอด” นายศิริวัฒน์ ขจรประศาสน์ ที่เคยพ่ายแพ้ให้กับนายนาวิน บุญเสรฐ จากพรรคไทยรักไทยทายาท พ.ต.ท.อดุลย์ บุญเสรฐ ที่เป็น ”ฝุ่นในตา เสี้ยนในตีน” ทางการเมืองกันมาตั้งแต่รุ่นพ่อจนสืบต่อมาถึงรุ่นลูก

From above, you can see that this metaphor is not specific to คุณบรรหาร ศิลปอาชา only.

The meaning of it is "a politician who is powerful and has a great influence in politics".

เมื่อถามว่า ในฐานะที่เป็นมังกรทางการเมือง มองแววความเป็นนายกฯของนายอภิสิทธิ์ อย่างไร นายบรรหารกล่าวว่า ตนไม่ได้เป็นมังกรการเมือง ตนเป็นแค่มังกือการเมือง เพราะมังกรถูกเด็ดหัวเด็ดทางไปเรียบร้อยแล้ว

From this quote you will see another saying "มังกือการเมือง", what do you think it should mean? :)

Thanks very much for clarifying that for us, Yoot.

เมื่อถามว่า ในฐานะที่เป็นมังกรทางการเมือง มองแววความเป็นนายกฯของนายอภิสิทธิ์ อย่างไร นายบรรหารกล่าวว่า ตนไม่ได้เป็นมังกรการเมือง ตนเป็นแค่มังกือการเมือง เพราะมังกรถูกเด็ดหัวเด็ดทางไปเรียบร้อยแล้ว

From this quote you will see another saying "มังกือการเมือง", what do you think it should mean?  :)

How about this?

blog-97587-0-304161-07446.jpg

In political terms, I guess it's a dragon with its head and tail cut off... still plenty scary looking, though.

Upon consulting gf about this issue, she says "Well, the Chinese definitely see dragons as positive. Thais, on the other hand, are ambivalent. Dragons can be good or bad, it all depends".

AMBIVALENT????? I questioned her strongly. THAIS.........AMBIVALENT??? Surely, there must be some mistake here!!!!jap.gif

Edited by mikenyork