My Visa Application Is "Under Consideration"

Moderators: Please move this to the "Visa and Immigration" Forum - I am having technical problems here, and can't seem to get access there myself at this time. To the point:

I just came from the Immigration Dept. where I submitted the requisite paperwork for a "Retirement Visa" Everything seemed to go OK, I paid the 2000 baht application fee, and was told to come back in 15 days. Is this the normal length of time for processing, or am I being overly paranoid here ? I had never thought about the issue of processing time; I suppose I expected to be told to come back in a day or two.

Some necessary background here for my second question: I am using the "800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months" method. Due to a family emergency, I have less than normal funds in Thailand (over and above the 800,000 baht). If necessary, am I free to begin using some of the 800,000 baht while I am in this 15 day period, awaiting final approval ? I suppose the answer to that is "At your own risk"; in other words, if your application is rejected, and you wish to apply again, you will have to bring your balance back up to 800,000 baht and keep it there for 60 days before re-applying.

So, this brings me back to my original question. What might they be checking that requires 15 days ?

Why not just go to immigration and have a word with the British consul guy there ,Barry I think his name is, very helpful bloke gave me loads of advice last time there and stopped me getting scammed by one of the workers there who approached me and asked if I wanted to get a 90 day visa "NO Problem! only 50,000Thbht!"

the guy who approached me was a Thai guy in a black suit who hangs around the outside and talks to many farangs in the coffee shop and the area outside for filling out forms. so be warned speaks very good english and should be working for a double glazing/time share company

at least if you check with the consul then you will have the official line

Chock dee

Leave 800k in bank until Visa extension stamp in passport.

Took them 2 months to approve my marriage extension.

If you have 800k in the bank for 2+ months and are over 50 you will get the extension, they have no option to refuse.

Edited by sarahsbloke

1. The 1 year extension of stay based on retirement is 1,900 baht. Never heard of a 15 day waiting period for a retirement extension, usually granted on the spot if you qualify. The 800k baht should remain in a Thai bank until the extension is stamped in your passport. 2,000 baht fee would be for some kind of visa change, is that what you are trying to arrange along with the retirement extension?

2. No such thing as a retirement visa granted by immigration in Thailand.

3. There is a waiting period, while Bangkok approves, for a 1 year marriage extension of stay.

Edited by InterestedObserver

If you paid 2,000 baht I suspect you did not have a non immigrant visa (which is required for a retirement based extension of stay) and that was for TM86/87 conversion or issue. Now you are told to return in 15 days to apply for the one year extension of stay (which will be a TM.7 and 1,900 baht). That should be issued immediately (or perhaps next day if Jomtien). You may have to prove the 800k again at that time so I would not draw it down.

If you did indeed have a visa and used the TM.7 form it should have cost 1,900 baht and not have required more than a day wait unless there has been a change this week.

Lopburi 3, you are correct; I am in the process of converting from a Tourist visa, to Non-immigrant "O", I believe. (Sorry, I don't have the pertinent documents here with me.). If I might be required to prove the 800,000 baht bank balance again, I suppose that I should arrive at Immigration with a fresh letter from my bank, stating that the bank balance is still the same ?

I though the B800,000 had to be in the bank for 3 months not two .That was the case when i got my first one 18 months ago .

2 months the first time and 3 months thereafter.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Edited by Lite Beer