Concrete Pillars

anatta

Our builder is soon to start on the concrete pillars for the house. When I asked him about keeping the new concrete moist while it cures he said he will spray it with water every day (but I think he would be willing to accept other suggestions). I've seen pillars wrapped in polythene sheeting: is this a better way of keeping them moist? How long should they be kept moist at this time of year?

All advice gratefully received.

The plastic sheeting helps to keep the pillars moist but watering should take place on a daily basis for at least 28 days whereas your Thai builder most likely would argue that seven days is enough. Water is essential for the chemical process known as curing and curing will actually continue for many years but 28 days are regarded as sufficient.

From my google reading on concrete/mortar curing and watching the ongoing construction in my moobaan by what I consider a pretty good builder, generally you should allow concrete to cure at least 28 days to reach that 90 to 100% strength point. But in the real world where time is money and construction sometimes must continue on, it appears the "minimum" period for concrete pillar curing should be 7 days, which includes keeping them moist.

And at the speed that most Thai builders accomplish construction, getting 7 days of pillars curing before any 2nd floor/roof load is constructed/added, should be a piece of cake...getting them to keep the pillars moisture for 7 days may be the challenge.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for the info and advice.

The house is now built and I daresay will stay standing for a few years. In the end I couldn't persuade the builder to go slowly enough to keep the pillars wrapped while the concrete was curing, but at least he sprayed them with water several times a day for the best part of a week.

I'm now trying to connect with his (rather different) ideas about how septic tanks are supposed to work ... :unsure:

Greetings -

Anatta