Congratulations To Immigration Department In Jomptien

thaibeachlovers

Had to go to the Immigration department in Jomptien recently to extend my tourist visa ( first time there ). I was expecting an inneficient chaos, and a long wait, but to my surprise, everything was very well organised. Kudos especially to the helpful lady that greeted me as I walked in, and answered all my queries concerning filling in the form. It's a pity though, that they can't give her a chair, as those heels must be painful, standing all the time!

As the different visa types were handled by different desks, the wait to see the officer was only 10 minutes. They use a ticket system like the banks for the queue, so it's all very organised.

I was impressed by the surroundings, and that there was AC. They have a nice fish tank to admire, and newspapers to read. Even the toilets are pleasant to use and very clean. Worth paying 5 baht for.

My only complaint re the extension procedure was having to wait an hour ( not the 30 minutes the officer told me ), but apparently the supervisor had been to a meeting, and once back cleared the pile quite quickly.

I do have a beef that the photocopy place made 2 copies when I only needed one and charged 5 baht a page compared to the "normal" price of 2 baht, YES, I know it's only 11 baht more, but it's the "rip off" that annoyed me, not the money.

As I found it rather difficult to find out information, this will hopefully come up in a future search.

The office is down Soi 5, Jomptien. The Soi sign post is visible, even from a speeding baht bus on Beach Rd.

It's almost at the end ( a slow 5 minute walk ), past a big hotel, and is pretty obvious when you see it.

The office opens at 8.30 am.

They have the forms needed available ( free ).

You need a passport photo and a photo copy of your passport picture page and existing visa stamp and departure card. NB only ONE photocopy of each. There is a photocopy shop next door, but costs 5 baht a page. 2 baht most photo shops.

There are demonstration forms filled in to follow, when you fill in yours.

The staff that greet you at the door will help with any problems, and speak English.

You pay 1900 baht when you see the officer, and there's no hanky panky with change.

The toilets are outside the office, and cost 5 baht to use.

I observed that car parking was available on the street ( apparently for a fee ).

There are lots of restaurants serving European breakfast along the soi, if you want to get there early.

Hope this is helpful for any other "newbies".

• Like 1

I also had a very good experience there the other day. I had a question about how my recent trip to Cambodia affected my 90 day reporting and Barry Kenyon sorted it out in less than a minute.

Barry is an extremely helpful guy and a big thanks to him!

I have now lived here for a bit over 4 years. I have to go to there every 90 days for my "address report"; and annually to extend my visa. Whenever the subject of the Jomtien Immigration Office comes up, I quickly offer my opinion that it is the most efficient Thai run operation, government or private, that I have seen in this largely disorganized, inefficient, country. I do not understand how one organization can be run so well (better, in fact, that just about all American government operations); and dam_n near everything else be so totally screwed up and undependable.

But, the bottom line here is a strong second to the kudos given by the OP. The Jomtien Immigration Office is extremely well run!

Edited by patsfangr

You're quite easy to please. You pay 1900 baht for the visa but they can't make the photo copy themselves - instead you have to walk out and pay 250% the going rate because the copy shop happens to be next to Immigration. You were ripped off on the parking on the street (no, it's free). You waited an hour just to complete some bureaucratic form that effectively makes no difference to anyone except those bureaucrats having a job processing it. You paid 5 baht to use the toilet in a government building. I don't know where you come from but it's very different from how things are where I come from (Europe).

You're quite easy to please. You pay 1900 baht for the visa but they can't make the photo copy themselves - instead you have to walk out and pay 250% the going rate because the copy shop happens to be next to Immigration. You were ripped off on the parking on the street (no, it's free). You waited an hour just to complete some bureaucratic form that effectively makes no difference to anyone except those bureaucrats having a job processing it. You paid 5 baht to use the toilet in a government building. I don't know where you come from but it's very different from how things are where I come from (Europe).

WOAH HOSS, try reading what I actually wrote before jumping on that high horse.

I did say "almost a pleasant experience", as I too feel paying 1900 baht to spend money in LOS is a bit steep, but my post wasn't about the rights or wrongs of Thai visas, but about the office itself, which was a pretty good experience compared to my expectations, and it could have been awful.

Yes, the photocopy was a rip off, hence my warning about it for future visitors.

I didn't park, but I noticed someone handing paper to a man hanging about the cars- I didn't say that you definitely had to pay, or do you not understand "apparently"?

The toilet isn't in the building and is obviously run by the shop next door. Again, it could have been awful, like most public toilets in LOS, but wasn't.

My post was to commend the staff of the Immigration office for providing a decent environment, for an unfortunately necessary service, and I stand by that.

I forgot to mention that it's not essential to wear "proper" dress. ie shoes, long trousers, and button up shirt. Most farangs were in t shirts, shorts and sandals, but none were scruffy. The staff dress quite casually themselves.

Calm down. No high horses. Just replied to your post. If you can't accept replies to a post you probably shouldn't post on a forum.

Edit. Maybe you misunderstood my post. It was not a hit at you but a hit at Immigration whom I don't see as deserving much praise. "We are not a service bureau but an enforcement agency" as their own boss once said.

Edited by Phil Conners

I also had a very good experience there the other day. I had a question about how my recent trip to Cambodia affected my 90 day reporting and Barry Kenyon sorted it out in less than a minute.

Did you go to the right place? Barry is the Honorary British Consulate who has a small office just up Soi5 from the Immigration Department.

My understanding is that Barry also works at Jomtien Immigration in addition to being an honorary British consul.  I believe he is retiring from the British post this summer but will continue to work at Immigration.

I believe you are correct. I've heard the same. I've also seen him walking from his office to the immigration office. Usually in the mornings and about the time the immigration staff take their lunch break. He also spends most of his time in the immigration office. Whenever I see a falong having a problem with one of the officers, they always say to go "talk to Barry". Frankly I don't know how he does it, with putting up with the rude falongs that won't listen to and follow the procedures. Remarkable guy and very helpful.

By the way, you do have to follow the dress code (in particular shirts with sleeves and collars). I have seen many turned away. Usually by the guy who issue tickets for the que.

My understanding is that Barry also works at Jomtien Immigration in addition to being an honorary British consul. I believe he is retiring from the British post this summer but will continue to work at Immigration.

I believe you are correct. I've heard the same. I've also seen him walking from his office to the immigration office. Usually in the mornings and about the time the immigration staff take their lunch break. He also spends most of his time in the immigration office. Whenever I see a falong having a problem with one of the officers, they always say to go "talk to Barry". Frankly I don't know how he does it, with putting up with the rude falongs that won't listen to and follow the procedures. Remarkable guy and very helpful.

By the way, you do have to follow the dress code (in particular shirts with sleeves and collars). I have seen many turned away. Usually by the guy who issue tickets for the que.

I used to live in CNX and the yearly renewal of my retirement extension was an all day affair with some very unfriendly personnel to contend with. When I made my move down here, my yearly nightmare became almost pleasant and took only a couple hours all the time surrounded by the lovely staff at Jomtien. It will never happen but imagine going next year for the retirement ext. and having a form simply ask " Is everything the same as last year pertaining to the requirements?" stamp, stamp finish in three minutes. Yes I realize this is a fantasy from la la land.

agreed barry is the man to see without a doubt--------------but i read he is retiring this month and his repalcement will have to be good to match up to barrys work.

Agee totally with the OP. The staff there are very professional and courteous. They know what they are doing. Whether or not you agree with the visa system here is not the point. In comparison with the horrendous immigration departments I've dealt with before in the US the service in Jomtien is top notch.

I think it may depend on who see.

My experience a year ago(when I was still a tourist).

I had a new passport and they didn't know if the visa was valid

I had to phone my embassy and have them explain it

which sorted the problem out.

Then I was asked for a "tip"ohmy.gif

which I paid of course. Wow, a tip for teaching the officer

the right procedure!

The good experience was when I wanted documents for a bank account and

the (different) officer I spoke to told me how to make it simple.

Fill in your paperwork before you go ,dont go on a monday when there are loads of tourists,and like me never spend more than 5 minutes there ,photocopy your papers elswhere if you want to save 3 baht ,the cheap charly place is just a short walk away :)

and yes they are usually very helpfull

Did not think the OP would have a car .He is currently looking for a Condo for not more than B5k a month in Jomtien ,and gets a little steamed up about being charged 5 baht for a photo copy :)

I think the copy shop is a ripoff, I can't see how someone paying 5 k a month for a condo is relevant. :D

Edited by Seizetheday

Every time I've used the Immigration Department Soi 5 I have found them too be very helpful and respectful..... I wish I could say the same for all the Farangs you meet there :) .

The Staff deserve a medal for putting up with all the crap they get day in and day out .....

Every time I've used the Immigration Department Soi 5 I have found them too be very helpful and respectful..... I wish I could say the same for all the Farangs you meet there :) .

The Staff deserve a medal for putting up with all the crap they get day in and day out .....

I would agree with that :D

Did not think the OP would have a car .He is currently looking for a Condo for not more than B5k a month in Jomtien ,and gets a little steamed up about being charged 5 baht for a photo copy :)

I think the copy shop is a ripoff, I can't see how someone paying 5 k a month for a condo is relevant. :D

Then go to another copy shop ,but you will sweat so much getting there that you will probably end up buying an extra bottle of water for 7 baht . :D

Thanks for that.

No, I don't have a car

I do only pay 5000 for a ROOM- not a CONDO

It's not the cost- it's the principle. If others want to avoid being PO too, they should get their copies elsewhere.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Shirts with sleeves AND collars? I don't think so, I've often gone in with a t-shirt.

Shirts with sleeves AND collars? I don't think so, I've often gone in with a t-shirt.

And I have gone in a couple times with a t-shirt and have been turned away. Now I play it safe and change shirts before going. It's quite a drive back to the house to change shirts.

I have now lived here for a bit over 4 years. I have to go to there every 90 days for my "address report"; and annually to extend my visa. Whenever the subject of the Jomtien Immigration Office comes up, I quickly offer my opinion that it is the most efficient Thai run operation, government or private, that I have seen ...

I agree. I've also been a regular visitor to Jomtien Immigrations for the past 4 years and have found the experience to be about as hassle-free as you could expect from any government office, whether here or in most any other country I've stayed in for any length of time.

As to the photocopy shop being a rip-off, it's a convenience offered to a captive audience. If you take care of the photocopying, passport photo, etc before traveling to Jomtien Immigrations, then you needn't use their service. In most cases you should know in advance what's required (it's certainly detailed on this website for just about every possible situation), so plan ahead or accept that you'll pay a little extra.

I find it amazing that some people feel compelled to be annoyed by something at every opportunity.

And I have gone in a couple times with a t-shirt and have been turned away. Now I play it safe and change shirts before going. It's quite a drive back to the house to change shirts.

I've seen many guys in there with tank tops (singlets) and covered with tattoos. Obviously their dress policy is all over the place. My girl has been turned away once for wearing shorts yet we often spot girls in there with far more revealing attire.

• 2 months later...

I have read right through this thread but I have a few questions because a family member wants to extend his tourist (60 day) visa in Jomtien next week.

1. His visa expires September 26th is it O.K. to go six days early?

2. Is the Immingration really too busy on a Monday?

3. Is the system still the same as the old days (drop off passport & forms & fee 8.30-10.30 then return the same day at 3.00pm for pick-up?

Thanks for any feedback.