Web Programming Courses Conducted In Eng?

^_^

Hi,

Um...seems like nobody knows of any Web Programming Courses / Gaphic Design Courses conducted in English in CM.

Anyway, I found one...and would like to share the info. for those whom are interested.

Siam Computer Group on 5th floor in CM Plaza at the forever-blocked-under-construction-for ages Kuang Sing intersection.

All Web Programming Courses and Graphic Design Courses are available in both Thai and English.

Courses start from Bt3,500/24hrs per Web Programming Language Course / Graphic Design Course at 2hrs a lesson from Mon-Fri on a private one one one basis!

That's extremely cheap for a private one on one course.

Hope someone find the info. useful.

Cheers!

^__^

Hi :o,

I'm interested in how you get on with these courses. I'm an experienced web developer, so if you fancy meeting up for coffee sometime and talking about techie and design stuff PM me.

:D

Rich

:D+2005-06-27 16:39:46-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2005-06-27 16:39:46)
Hi,

Um...seems like nobody knows of any Web Programming Courses / Gaphic Design Courses conducted in English in CM.

Anyway, I found one...and would like to share the info. for those whom are interested.

Siam Computer Group on 5th floor in CM Plaza at the forever-blocked-under-construction-for ages Kuang Sing intersection.

All Web Programming Courses and Graphic Design Courses are available in both Thai and English.

Courses start from Bt3,500/24hrs per Web Programming Language Course / Graphic Design Course at 2hrs a lesson from Mon-Fri on a private one one one basis!

That's extremely cheap for a private one on one course.

Hope someone find the info. useful.

Cheers!

^__^

Hi Fraktalkid,

Thanks for the invitation ^__^

Honestly, though I've taken an extreme interest and have had lots of experience playing/modifying with Web-Server-Side Software/Programs for the last four-five years and actually quite good at it, shameful to say...I don't even know the most basic programming language...basic HTML...hehe :D

Furthermore, I'm not a creative person...which was why I'm always stucked when it comes to Graphic Design even though I do know the basics.

I've done a few websites for close friend...and a few for commercial purpose...using the aid of web-building software...and I always emphasize on light-weight web pages, simplicity, consistency, easy navigation and straight-to-the-point-no-nonsense websites.

Since I've always been reliant on software to overcome my web programming short-coming(s!)...and being a handicap on creativity...I'm afraid techie talk on Web Design would sounds rather alien to me at the present...hahahahaha :o

Therefore, thanks for the invitation...but I rather not make a fool of myself until I know what I'm talking about...hehe :D

Anyway, I'll keep u posted on the outcome of my Web Programming Courses which shall starts on 4th of July...I've decided to take up a total of 16 intensive courses which takes about 4mths...and cover most of the basics of most web-server-side programming languages.

Keep in touch!

^__^

Make sure they teach you modern webstandards based XHTML and CSS webdesign, and not the old style of the last century using browser dependent HTML only.

You can see it easily: If they start teaching you to use the font tag ("<font ...>") then it is old style, but if they use style sheets (CSS = Cascading Style Sheets) to separate document structure and design then you are on the right way.

And do not touch MS Frontpage, it does not produce good code, not at all.

Have fun!

Yuyi's right, web standards with XHTML really is the way to go. It produces neater code that people can view on many different browsers, it's more easily indexed by the search engines, and it just plain makes sense. Do a google search for the words 'semantic markup'. You'll probably get sites like alistapart.com and webmasterworld.com. Once you've got a thorough grounding, resources like these will provide many useful tips. Also check out Eric Myer's CSS book, which is quite handy (I don't own a copy myself at present, but had it and learnt a lot from it when I was in the UK).

Learning to Handcode will eventually speed you up vs. a WYSIWYG editor, although I sometimes like to template in Dreamweaver and then work outside this environment (my content management system is powered using PHP and a templating engine called Smarty, so I create my base templates in DW and then code them up as Smarty Templates by introducing Smarty's logic into them).

Also beware if they start showing you whizz-bang DHTML. I hate to say it, but the quality of Thai web design at present is poor because they're more interested in putting together features that have a wow factor instead of adhering to usability and accessibility principles. It sounds like you've got a thorough grounding in that though, so hopefully no flaming logos and <blink> text on your sites! :-)

Let us know how you get on with the course - I think several people would be interested to hear back :-)

Rich

Make sure they teach you modern webstandards based XHTML and CSS webdesign, and not the old style of the last century using browser dependent HTML only.

You can see it easily: If they start teaching you to use the font tag ("<font ...>") then it is old style, but if they use style sheets (CSS = Cascading Style Sheets) to separate document structure and design then you are on the right way.

And do not touch MS Frontpage, it does not produce good code, not at all.

Have fun!

Hi Yuyi,

Thanx for your info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^__^

I misunderstood that I would need to start off with the very basics of HTML in order to proceed any further.

I bet I would have wasted a few weeks time if it wasn't for your piece of info. :o

I shall call the Teacher tomorrow to confirm that I would like to start off with the latest XHTML and CSS Webdesign.

Having been fooling around with many server-side freeware from hotscript dot com...I came to the conclusion that I hate working on a Windows server...therefore, although ASP is cool from my point of view...I would skip it; I'll skip any programming languages which gotta deal with a Windows Server.

Again...thanx! ^__^

Appreciated.

^__^

Hi Rich,

I've played a bit with WYSIWYG Editor before...and I have plans to integrate WYSIWYG Editor into all my future web-building.

There are millions of websites out there abandoned by webmasters/owners mostly due to the high cost of paying a webmaster to upkeep/update the website...and/or abandoned by irresponsible webmasters.

Therefore, I see WYSIWYG Editor as the way to go for every websites...as it helps to simplify updating content of webpages without the need for owners to pay webmasters to update the content of the website.

I've also played quite a bit with PHP Content Management System...all listed at Hotscripts Dot Com...and I actually quite like it. I really need to get a hold on PHP Programming first though...instead of fooling around...hahaha :o

One step at a time...I hope I could fly...but let me start off walking first :D

The Smarty Template Engine sounds interesting...

By the way, I've done all my web buildings using Dreamweaver MX...and actually quite good at it :D But due to my lack of knowledge in handcoding, it limited myself to what I could do in Web Building and I felt like my boths hand are tied up.

Here are the list of softwares I used for my web building:

Dreanweaver MX

Swish Max

Photoshop

Xara

As you can see from the softwares I'm reliant on, and due to the fact that I'm a know-shit in handcoding...I'm stuck when I need to build a website which requires a database; in which limited to many thing else in web building.

Thanx for the info Rich ^__^ I'll beep u sometime soon for a meal and a couple of beer. Is Beer considered Vegetarian? Hehe :D

Cheers!

^__^

Could someone tell me more about Siam Computer Groups web courses. I'd prefer someone coming to my home rather than having to go to CM Plaza.

Basically, I want to learn how to develop and maintain my own websites (nothing overly fancy) for commercial use. I've got just basic knowledge on web design at this point but believe I can catch on pretty fast with a good instructor. The other option I am looking at is one of the simple WYSIWYG programs that come with some webhosting companies but everyone says it is best to learn some html.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Could someone tell me more about Siam Computer Groups web courses.  I'd prefer someone coming to my home rather than having to go to CM Plaza.

Basically, I want to learn how to develop and maintain my own websites (nothing overly fancy) for commercial use.  I've got just basic knowledge on web design at this point but believe I can catch on pretty fast with a good instructor.  The other option I am looking at is one of the simple WYSIWYG programs that come with some webhosting companies but everyone says it is best to learn some html.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Hi tyznd,

I'm going over to Siam Computer Group to pay for my courses later today and starts on Monday.

I shall inquire if they do house-calls and get a quote from them on your behalf at the same time.

I'll let u know by this evening or latest Monday evening.

Yes...no doubt it's best to know some basic handcoding in Web Building and that's why I'm taking up all these courses.

Let's see how it goes. I'll let u know.

^__^

:o+2005-07-02 13:18:31-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2005-07-02 13:18:31)
Could someone tell me more about Siam Computer Groups web courses.  I'd prefer someone coming to my home rather than having to go to CM Plaza.

Basically, I want to learn how to develop and maintain my own websites (nothing overly fancy) for commercial use.  I've got just basic knowledge on web design at this point but believe I can catch on pretty fast with a good instructor.  The other option I am looking at is one of the simple WYSIWYG programs that come with some webhosting companies but everyone says it is best to learn some html.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Hi tyznd,

I'm going over to Siam Computer Group to pay for my courses later today and starts on Monday.

I shall inquire if they do house-calls and get a quote from them on your behalf at the same time.

Yes...no doubt it's best to know some basic handcoding in Web Building and that's why I'm taking up all these courses.

^__^

Hi tyznd,

Just came back from Siam Computer Group.

Here is the information u asked for:

They usually don't do house-calls but they could arrangement someone to do it at your house only on weekends...as all the teachers have classes on weekdays.

As for the price...they can't quote a price yet as it depends on how far is your house, what u need, hour basis or per course basis...etc.

I suggest u call them yourself.

Siam Computer Group

Tel: 053 410 297

MP: 01 716 5305

* Ask for "Nikon" as he's the only one whom could arrange it for u.

I've seen some of their work today...quite professional from my point of view...simple and well organized...nothing too fancy like most Thai websites are.

That's about all the information I could provide.

Good Luck!

^__^

:o+2005-07-02 17:20:48-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2005-07-02 17:20:48)
:D+2005-07-02 13:18:31-->
QUOTE(:D @ 2005-07-02 13:18:31)

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Hi tyznd,

^__^

Hi tyznd,

Just came back from Siam Computer Group.

Here is the information u asked for:

They usually don't do house-calls but they could arrangement someone to do it at your house only on weekends...as all the teachers have classes on weekdays.

As for the price...they can't quote a price yet as it depends on how far is your house, what u need, hour basis or per course basis...etc.

I suggest u call them yourself.

Siam Computer Group

Tel: 053 410 297

MP: 01 716 5305

* Ask for "Nikon" as he's the only one whom could arrange it for u.

I've seen some of their work today...quite professional from my point of view...simple and well organized...nothing too fancy like most Thai websites are.

That's about all the information I could provide.

Good Luck!

^__^

By the way, where exactly is Siam Computer Group located? Maybe it would be better to stop in and talk with them personally to explain what I looking for. Also, do they have a website?

Thanks again.

Joe

thanks for the info.  i'll contact them next week.

Joe

Hi tyznd,

My courses with Siam Computer Group started today...and it didn't go very well :o

So...please do not contact them yet.

Let me have another day or two with them...so that I may give a fair comment on them in details.

Overall, I have a bad feeling about it...

I'll keep u updated.

^__^

:D+2005-07-04 15:43:00-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2005-07-04 15:43:00)

Joe

Hi tyznd,

My courses with Siam Computer Group started today...and it didn't go very well :D

Let me have another day or two with them...so that I may give a fair comment on them in details.

I'll keep u updated.

^__^

^__^ any more news on this course that you attended, I looked at this course last week and had a meeting with nikon as well and would appreciate your thoughts?

I have a little web experience and have used net object fusion for a few sites, but want to get on with dreamweaver and also using PHP mysql and making dynamic database sites

I am looking at taking it beginning of August

:o

Still interested in knowing if these folks at Siam Computer Group are worth contacting.  I would like to learn basic web design and need someone who can explain this to me in english.

thanks

Hi tyznd,

Sorry for the late reply :D

Um...I have to say...forget about Siam Computer Group.

A few reasons of my own based on my experience dealing with them:

1) I was promised an English spoken foreigner teacher...lessons to be conducted in English and to start the lessons from the very basic on hand-code web programming.

Actual Lesson: The teacher is the Thai guy whom interview me himself. The lesson was conducted in Thai (not really a problem for me at all as I can speak Thai very well) but the real problem is that he can't name each of the symbols/characters used in hand-coding in English. Which means that I have to memorize a whole complete code for each function without any idea what is the purpose of each symbols/characters doing in it's place.

2) I asked to have two courses started at the same time, first course is on HTML & XHTML 10:00 - 12:00 Mon - Fri, second course is on PHP & MySQL 13:00 - 15:00 Mon - Fri.

Actual Lesson: For a start, the teacher have absolutely no idea what is the code of the Document Type for a XHTML webpage, the Document Type code is always on the first line on the souce code of a webpage.

He took about 15mins searching on the internet for the Document Type code for a XHTML webpage and print it off the printer for me. I could have done that myself faster...with or without a teacher.

Secondly, he seems to have the faintest idea what's the file extension for a XHTML webpage!!! First he asked me to name the file extension as .xhtml but when the browser can't recognise the .xhtml file extension...then he said PROBABLY the file extension of a XHTML webpage is .HTML

In my humble opinion, if one doesn't even know the file extension for certain web programming code, then one knows absolutely knows-no-shit about that particular programming code. :o

Last, he cancelled the second course on PHP & MySQL on my first day with them...because it's the teachers' off day on every Monday???!!! :D

Well....anyway...for your info. I had stopped attending the courses. :D

Anyway, if all you need to learn is just basic web design...then I would suggest u use Dreamweaver, in my opinion, it's the most user-friendly and self-explanatory web building software. You will be able to get a hold of it within a week if u have a copy of the Dreamweaver Tutorial Book and/or CD.

I still have a copy of Dreamweaver Tutorial Book with me...I may let u have it if u want; provided you are in CM. :D

That's all the info I can provide.

Good Luck in your Web Building :D

^__^

P.S. - PM me if u would like to have my copy of Dreamweaver Tutorial Book.

Joe

Hi tyznd,

My courses with Siam Computer Group started today...and it didn't go very well :D

I'll keep u updated.

^__^

^__^ any more news on this course that you attended, I looked at this course last week and had a meeting with nikon as well and would appreciate your thoughts?

I have a little web experience and have used net object fusion for a few sites, but want to get on with dreamweaver and also using PHP mysql and making dynamic database sites

Hi Lobin,

Hopefully you'll reconsider signing up with Siam Computer Group...for your own good.

I hope you haven't paid them yet.

Good Luck!

^__^

:D+2005-07-09 18:31:07-->

QUOTE(:D @ 2005-07-09 18:31:07)

Joe

Hi tyznd,

I'll keep u updated.

^__^

Hi Lobin,

Hopefully you'll reconsider signing up with Siam Computer Group...for your own good.

I hope you haven't paid them yet.

Good Luck!

^__^

many thanks for the info, unlike your goodself i can only order a beer and spicy food in thai so i think i would be in a worse state than you!

i had the impression after the chat with him that he did indeed know what he was talking about, but articualtion in english was a problem. not his problem.. mine as i cant speak good enough thai, but thanks for the heads up.

hope that didnt loose too much money on this. thanks again.

Guys, why not check out the numerous web based FREE tutorials, you both obviously have web access. How about the 2 of you meeting up, you both live in or can get to CM, and organising a study session if there is a particular area you are stuck on. Just an idea.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to sign up with a host company I've been looking at for a few months now. They seem to have all the tools one needs for doing business on the internet including programs that a novice like myself can use to create a website.

• 1 year later...
Guys, why not check out the numerous web based FREE tutorials, you both obviously have web access. How about the 2 of you meeting up, you both live in or can get to CM, and organising a study session if there is a particular area you are stuck on. Just an idea.

THanks for the thread and the info!

I would like to know more about possible get-togethers or courses being offered. I have built a few simple wesbites using FrontPage, can add java scripts (taken, not created) to websites. I would like to know more about advanced programming language (for database) ... especially interested in making a multi-lingual, interactive, anti-racism website for children and adults (using my expertise in teaching), exploring cultural rigidity and dynamics.

I like the idea of a study group!

Has anyone found courses given in English? Are there any Englsih-Speaking programmers willing to part with some money in exchange for some instruction? Of course, everything would be hush ... hush!

Thanks.

i recently got my website set up ,

and also doing some of the graphic myself ,

i would love to learn more and meet up people who enjoy doing wesbite partly to learn it myself and also exchange idea,

i been doing simple graphic for many years notthing fancy .

you can see some of my stuff on

deviantart

audiobe

alway love to meet more people

pm me if there is going to be a groupy

I have noticed that CM doesnt offer much (or seems not to ) in the way of Graphics Courses. I already work in 3d Graphics, and have self-taught knowledge of photoshop..but really wanted to push my understanding of 2d Graphics. I had a google hunt some time back but nothing came up. :o

I prefer (if not too expensive) to be on a course for a number of reasons: I suck at self-disipline(sp?) at times, prefer having peers to discuss things with, and generally like to have an experience tutor as well as some fellow company around me when learning.

If anyone finds out info on Graphics course..please post. Cheers.

(realise this is an old thread, but better to bump something relevant than create a new one)

Can't help much with the skin deep beauty of websites as determined by graphic designs, php-templated page layouts, "borrowed" js's/animated gif's and such - but if any of you guys get around to consider learning about the technical stuff that makes dynamically updated websites work - feel free to PM me ... No educational freebies to be expected, though - and if you have never heard about JSP, java, MySql, Tomcat, Apache: Try to Google those terms and see if, what you learn from the search results, appeals to further investigation ...