Freelancer With Income From Abroad

Hi, I have been in Thailand for a few years now but up until recently had a work permit for teaching. I am now doing freelance work where I am getting paid from abroad.

I was wondering about the law in regards to work permits and those who get paid from abroad - do I actually need one?

I do know that technically work can mean any type of exertion but as a practically would this be considered working in Thailand.

I am also married to a Thai so was wondering if I could continue on one year extensions so long as I can show 40,000THB coming from abroad each month??

I am under fifty and have one child if that makes a difference?

Continue with your annual extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai by having your embassy certify your foreign income in excess of 40k per month. Technically you would still need a work permit, if caught working without one you would be in serious trouble.

If you get caught working without a WP the Maximum penalty is 5 year in prison.

Normally 200.000 baht fine, deportation and blacklisted.

Continue with your annual extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai by having your embassy certify your foreign income in excess of 40k per month. Technically you would still need a work permit, if caught working without one you would be in serious trouble.

Thanks for the useful advice.

I will do that. If things contunue to go well I will probably start a company and get a work permit that way.