Soi Lion

SAFC2010

Rumours abound that the rear will be developed into more hotel units (dear god more rooms).. I heard dates for end of Aug / start of sept for the end of that but havent spoken to the person in a while and it seemed a bit fluid.

Interestingly out on the area towards bangla boxing (new) there was a sign on one of the construction blocks saying 'new soi lion' very briefly but it was removed.. May be they will try to transplant them there with the same shattering success 'new tiger' is having.

Seadragon under development, new thorough fare at the back between Sukhumvit and beach Rd via Seadragon.. Town will feel very different in a short while.

Not the sign that actually costs less than 1 million baht to build? Think about how much concrete can be poured and tiled over for 1 million baht. I'm revising my estimate on the 9.1 million baht bid in the phuket news forum and upping my kickback from 5 million to 6 million.

Went down to Bangla Road two nights ago. Soi Sea Dragon is now completely gone. They have fencing around the construction site.

Interestingly, there is now a big sign up at the front of the construction which shows a picture of what the completed construction should look like. It appears a very modern construction and more like a shopping centre than a nightlife/entertainment area. I had heard (rumor) that the "Soi's" with beer bars were being moved out of Bangla Road, over a period of time. They were going to be relocated to around the new boxing stadium area.

If the new Soi Sea Dragon construction area does have beer bars included, after seeing that sign, I would suggest rent/purchase will be incredibly high for one of them.

It may be possible Soi Lion will also soon be redeveloped.

Edited by NamKangMan

The concentration of entertainment venues around Bangla facilitated the closing of the street at night. Unfortunately, the new project is going to bring alot of vehicle traffic into the area. Considering the problem with the tuk tuk parking all along the beach road which creates bottle necks, how the heck is beach road going to handle the increased traffic and where are all the vehicles expected to park? The area is going to end up as one congested zone, leaving people gasping for air in the haze of car fumes. Toss in the car horns and the lack of pedestrian cross walks to the beach and its going to be a nightmare. I don't suppose the urban planners of Patong considered this or had much input.

Went down to Bangla Road two nights ago. Soi Sea Dragon is now completely gone. They have fencing around the construction site.

Interestingly, there is now a big sign up at the front of the construction which shows a picture of what the completed construction should look like. It appears a very modern construction and more like a shopping centre than a nightlife/entertainment area. I had heard (rumor) that the "Soi's" with beer bars were being moved out of Bangla Road, over a period of time. They were going to be relocated to around the new boxing stadium area.

If the new Soi Sea Dragon construction area does have beer bars included, after seeing that sign, I would suggest rent/purchase will be incredibly high for one of them.

It may be possible Soi Lion will also soon be redeveloped.

A friend of my has a bar inside Soi Sea Dragon on the left side looking into the Soi from Soi bangla.

I informed me that the outside bars ( left and right side ) don't have to move but have to remove all attachements from the walls.

It is not allowed to hang anything on the wall which sticks out into the road.

There will be a (modern) road in the middle of the soi to be used in the daytime.

And on the right side of the soi wil be a new row of bars facing the outside bars with a small walking area between them.