Bringing An Only Parent To Thailand

Earlier this year I lost my brother who was the only one looking after my mother in the UK. She has been on her own since 1992 when my father passed away. Now she is on her own, aged 82, with only a meals on wheels service and a home care visitor to make sure she takes her early to slightly worse stage Alzeheimer's onset tablet each day. She has her own house in West Sussex which should be rentable for around 800 pounds a month. She also has a small amount of savings but I am uncertain of the amount. I doubt it is over 10,000 pounds.

My thinking, perhaps flawed (hence this post) is to bring her to Thailand to live with me. She can't stay with me in BKK as the place is too small, but we have some land near Korat and think that we can build something we like on it that will keep her and us happy. She will be able to do some gardening, and she will have company (wife and visitors). I am sure she would do better here. However, there is the Visa side (non-immigration O?) and then of course being sure that she can continue staying each year. It would be awful if she HAD to leave for some reason after in effect saying farewell to the UK.

Has anyone faced this situation or even proceeded with actually bringing a parent over? I remember a thread once before along similar lines, but I couldn't track it down again and besides I think it has been inactive for a long time as no update to a similar query was provided.

Any useful feedback would be really welcomed/appreciated.

Thank you

This is crazy talk! You say your mother is 82, you say she cannot stay with you in BKK, you say you have some land on which you think you can build something that will make everybody happy.

God bless your Mum but by the time you sort out all of the "ifs" or "you say" and everything else that needs to be done to mobilise your Mum then time will be running out for her. :)

I would be a really nice gesture towards your mother, I not sure she like to leave her home and probably some friend or relatives in the UK.

Every son or daughter should do this for their parents.

As for here in Thailand, there are many reasonable places for rent and to find companion (in law family or hired hands) will be a big upgrade from the meals service in the UK.

You shouldn't look as far away as Korat (about 3 hours from Bkk), look for something suitable closer to Bangkok.

Don't understand me wrong Korat is a very nice city and probable also suitable for your mother. But for regulars visit from you to far.

Don't forget she is 82 and probable the first time to Thailand (she need adjustment from the heat, food and culture)

If closer to Bkk, you would be able to visit here a few times a week (if its only for example 1 hour driving or so away from where you are staying) or even stay with here (depends on what is your occupation in Bangkok) .

She can get a retirement visa (prove monthly income from the UK or bank deposit in Thailand).

I wouldn't invest money yet for property , lease a house or apartment, maybe you have to adjust the location where she (and you) will be staying a few times.

Better use the money for her daily well being then invest it in some stones.

I would be a really nice gesture towards your mother, I not sure she like to leave her home and probably some friend or relatives in the UK.

Every son or daughter should do this for their parents.

As for here in Thailand, there are many reasonable places for rent and to find companion (in law family or hired hands) will be a big upgrade from the meals service in the UK.

You shouldn't look as far away as Korat (about 3 hours from Bkk), look for something suitable closer to Bangkok.

Don't understand me wrong Korat is a very nice city and probable also suitable for your mother. But for regulars visit from you to far.

Don't forget she is 82 and probable the first time to Thailand (she need adjustment from the heat, food and culture)

If closer to Bkk, you would be able to visit here a few times a week (if its only for example 1 hour driving or so away from where you are staying) or even stay with here (depends on what is your occupation in Bangkok) .

She can get a retirement visa (prove monthly income from the UK or bank deposit in Thailand).

I wouldn't invest money yet for property , lease a house or apartment, maybe you have to adjust the location where she (and you) will be staying a few times.

Better use the money for her daily well being then invest it in some stones.

Thank you for both replies which give different perspectives and which both have sound points. Whilst I agree my mother is getting on and it is rather late, I wouldn't be forced into this situation if my brother was still around to look after her. Since he isn't around I have to do something for her and having her here to keep an eye on is probably the best thing. Whilst old she is quite strong in all aspects except her memory. She does not remember my brother died! As she is in her 80's she has also outlived all her friends, which makes her even more lonely. It may be crazy in a way, but perhaps Kuifje is right and renting something may be the best bet in the short term.

As for the retirment visa: I thought this has bigger financial hurdles than the non-immigration O? The retirement visa needs ~ 65,000 baht per month or 800,000 Baht per year whilst the NIO needs lower sums (from memory). Hence the NIO would be better as my mother does not have enough funds to meet the retirement I would think.

Thanks for your feedback. Both viewpoints are appreciated.

This is a real dilemma. You want to care for her but it isn't clear that you have the resources to do so.

I have a farang friend here who brought over his mother when she was 83yo. She stays in his house, where there is a live-in maid to take care of her. He also has a b/f who assists, especially when he gets burned-out and needs a break.

Now she is 93yo, and over the past decade she has twice broken a hip. Each time, hip-replacement surgery cost over 300,000 baht, which needed to be paid in advance. This has not been a financial burden, as they are fairly well off and have good insurance coverage.

Korat88. You do not say what your Immigration Status is.

If you are staying in Thailand by the way of 12 month extensions from Immigration she may be able get 12 month extensions as your dependent. No financial evidence needed.

See here. 2.20.

Police Order 2008.pdf

Thank you for that information LB. Very useful. I am on a non-immigration O visa and have a work permit. My wife is Thai.

This is a real dilemma. You want to care for her but it isn't clear that you have the resources to do so.

I have a farang friend here who brought over his mother when she was 83yo. She stays in his house, where there is a live-in maid to take care of her. He also has a b/f who assists, especially when he gets burned-out and needs a break.

Now she is 93yo, and over the past decade she has twice broken a hip. Each time, hip-replacement surgery cost over 300,000 baht, which needed to be paid in advance. This has not been a financial burden, as they are fairly well off and have good insurance coverage.

Also very useful information mahjongguy. Thanks. You are right to point out that medical expenses should be considered. My point about the finances was more to do with the income from her property in the UK and meeting the requirements per month here. LB looks to have helped on that front. The medical expenses would have to come from my savings if needed. I think I could manage these if I had too. Thanks again for your input.

If you are staying in Thailand by the way of 12 month extensions from Immigration she may be able get 12 month extensions as your dependent. No financial evidence needed.

See here. 2.20.

Police Order 2008.pdf

Thank you for that information LB. Very useful. I am on a non-immigration O visa and have a work permit. My wife is Thai.

It would need you to be on 12 Months Extensions of Stay from Immigration. Not a Visa.

It may just be that you have your terminology wrong.

Edited by Lite Beer

See here. 2.20.

Police Order 2008.pdf

It would need you to be on 12 Months Extensions of Stay from Immigration. Not a Visa.

It may just be that you have your terminology wrong.

I think I got the terminology wrong as you say. I renew every twelve months, so it woud be a 12 months extension of stay on my non-immigration O visa. Thanks.