Hiya all (Scouse)!

So closer by day before I comeback. :D

I have decided to stay in a family home which is rented from the local council when my fiance comes to England.

* Do I need a tenancy agreement?

* Will the local council expect me to declare it and will they have any rules and regulations against us staying, it is a family home with enough rooms etc.

* What information, documents will I need?

Thanks again all. The beers on the wedding day are on me in the Irish Pub, Bangkok, patpong, I am true to my word so remind me and the bell ringer will be me!

:o

Are you the tenant? if not,you will need a letter from the tenant outlining how many rooms, and what type, and who lives there already. If you are the tenant, then you obviously write this letter.

You will also need a letter from the landlord confirming that there is sufficient room for you and your fiance and that they have no objections to you both staying there.

Thanks GU22 for your info.

However if the house is rented from the Local Council they will only give a Tenancy Agreement is that sufficient?

The property is rented by my Mother and has been the family home for 22 years is that ok? There is ample space 3 bedrooms, only one occupied by my Mother. Will it be acceptable when I have a wife, myself and our soon tobe born Child is will 3 Adults and a child be to many people for a 3 bedroomed house?

I want to know as then I will rent a house or apartment if they might refuse.

Thanks GU22 you seem to be on here alot, your knowledge is much welcomed and anyone else who may know please feel free to add!

Thanks

One bedroom for your Mother, one for you and your wife and one for the child. Not a problem. My wife, daughter and I presented a very similar scenario to the ECO without a problem, as have many others that I know of.

However if the house is rented from the Local Council they will only give a Tenancy Agreement is that sufficient?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the council will give you and your mother a new tenancy agreement and that you are named on it? If so, then they are confirming that you can live there, so not a problem. Show this to the embassy.

If not, then you will need to show the ECO that you can live there. A simple letter from your mother inviting you to live with her may be enough, but a letter from the council confirming that as the landlord they have no objections will be a lot better.

Also, your mother may be breaking her tenancy agreement if she allows you to reside in the property without the councils permission.

Edited by GU22

One bedroom for your Mother, one for you and your wife and one for the child. Not a problem. My wife, daughter and I presented a very similar scenario to the ECO without a problem, as have many others that I know of.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the council will give you and your mother a new tenancy agreement and that you are named on it? If so, then they are confirming that you can live there, so not a problem. Show this to the embassy.

If not, then you will need to show the ECO that you can live there. A simple letter from your mother inviting you to live with her may be enough, but a letter from the council confirming that as the landlord they have no objections will be a lot better.

Also, your mother may be breaking her tenancy agreement if she allows you to reside in the property without the councils permission.

I have never seen a Tenancy Agreement where a son could not live with his mother! However restrictions will be clear on reading the agreement. The only real interest to the Council is that she declares you for Council Tax and to make sure your mother is not on housing benefit.

I have never seen a Tenancy Agreement where a son could not live with his mother! However restrictions will be clear on reading the agreement.

It is highly unlikely that they would refuse to allow him and his family permission to live there, particularly as she has the room. However, it costs nothing to ask and does make sure that all the bases are covered.

Last year my step son came over for a visit. As we did not have a spare room for him we arranged for him to sleep at my brother's, who is a local council nominated tenant of a housing association. We asked the embassy beforehand if this would be ok, and they said it would be provided we produced written consent from the housing association.

I am not named in the tenancy agreement yet, but we will be living at the house on my fiances arrival. So I just presumed a letter from my Mother and a Tenancy agreement would be enough. However the council will be notified AFTER we have been given the Visa.

I thank you again for all your help. :o

So I just presumed a letter from my Mother and a Tenancy agreement would be enough.  However the council will be notified AFTER we have been given the Visa.
Up to you, but I would definitely get a letter from the council confirming that they have no objections. Remember, you have to satisfy the ECO that you will have adequate accommodation in the UK. A letter from the council would be irrefutable.

So I just presumed a letter from my Mother and a Tenancy agreement would be enough.  However the council will be notified AFTER we have been given the Visa.
Up to you, but I would definitely get a letter from the council confirming that they have no objections. Remember, you have to satisfy the ECO that you will have adequate accommodation in the UK. A letter from the council would be irrefutable.

Thanks GU22

I will contact them promptly and try and get a letter that states they are ok about our staying.

Thanks again for all your help again. :o

Back Again!

Hi all

the Local authourity REFUSES to give a letter or a copy of the Tenancy agreement, they state that a RENT BOOK is sufficient proof of tenancy. After hours of asking for a letter and a copy of the Tenancy agreement they said no and that was final.

Any laws on this as comments welcomed. Is a rent book and a letter from my Mother enough documentation for the ECO?

Edited by lopburiguy

Hmm. strange that they wont confirm in writing that you can live there. Have they said that you can, but they simply wont confirm it? Who did you speak to? Was it just some clerk, or someone senior? When I had to get a similar letter for my step-son I had to ask to speak to someone more senior three times before I finally got someone who knew what I was talking about!

If they simply wont play ball, then present the rent book (certified copy or original) and a letter from your mum describing the accommodation, explaining that the council have no objections but wont put it in writing and inviting you to stay.

You may want to consider e-mailing the embassy at [email protected] and asking for their advice.

Hmm. strange that they wont confirm in writing that you can live there. Have they said that you can, but they simply wont confirm it? Who did you speak to? Was it just some clerk, or someone senior? When I had to get a similar letter for my step-son I had to ask to speak to someone more senior three times before I finally got someone who knew what I was talking about!

If they simply wont play ball, then present the rent book (certified copy or original) and a letter from your mum describing the accommodation, explaining that the council have no objections but wont put it in writing and inviting you to stay.

You may want to consider e-mailing the embassy at [email protected] and asking for their advice.

:D

Hiya GU22

yeah I thought the same, "why not". They were not willing to do this and gave me a card saying the Rent book was enough. However I did contact http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk and they stated that the rent book and letter were OK.

I will contact Bangkok just tobe sure as you said and hopefully they will give the green light. I dont trust what they say in the UK, because Bangkok may think differently! :o

Thanks again GU22 :D

Just thought i would add my little bit to this. I was in a similar position 3 years ago when my wife came to the uk. We wanted to live at my mothers house, which she owns, i was asked to supply pictures of the house both inside and out showing all the bedrooms and living areas, i was also asked for a letter from my mother saying she had SPOKEN to my wife on the telephone and was happy for her to come and stay.

My mother was also garantor(spelling) so she had to supply documents including bank statements, mortgage agreement etc etc.

My advice would be to contact your local MP and ask him/her to write to the council on your behalf and ask for a letter from them confirming they are happy for you both to stay. The more documented evidence you can get the better.

You are certainly right about speaking to Bankok embassy as well as what they say on the web and what they say in the U.K is ALWAYS different.

Hope you are successful :o

Lopburi, I presume you spoke to Housing Dept about copy of tenancy agreement. Whist of course they do not have to give you a copy, they must provide one to your mother on request. There may be a small charge for photocopying. If you get no satifaction telephone legal department, as housing officers rarely understand. The rental agreement will state clearly who may reside in the property. Normally close relatives of the tenant.

They just will not give me a letter or tenancy agreement, UK Visa said Rent book and letter from Tenant of the household was ok. Bangkok have said no, you need tenancy agreement etc, they will not give it!!! :o

I think legal advice is iminent...costly business this marry a thai game. Half the world think its easy, let me tell them its not!!!

However I will beat Big Brother if its the last thing I do!!!

:D

Edited by lopburiguy

Lopburi, I presume you spoke to Housing Dept about copy of tenancy agreement. Whist of course they do not have to give you a copy, they must provide one to your mother on request. There may be a small charge for photocopying. If you get no satifaction telephone legal department, as housing officers rarely understand. The rental agreement will state clearly who may reside in the property. Normally close relatives of the tenant.

Sorry i missed your post there!!! Blind as a bat! I have spoke to the housng Dept. They say they do not have a copy of the agreement and they have contacted their Legal Team and they have stated a Rent book is sufficient evidence. I think as you say I will contact the legal dept and hope for a better result.

Thanks Dragonman :o

The problem here is that each individual embassy is allowed to determine what constitutes sufficient proof within the terms of the immigration rules. However, UK Visas ultimately govern all the UK visa sections abroad and you could perhaps ask them for written confirmation that just a rent book etc. is acceptable. This could then be shown to the embassy in BKK.

Scouse.

Sorry i missed your post there!!! Blind as a bat! I have spoke to the housng Dept. They say they do not have a copy of the agreement and they have contacted their Legal Team and they have stated a Rent book is sufficient evidence. I think as you say I will contact the legal dept and hope for a better result.

Thanks Dragonman :D

Tell them that if they do not have a copy of the Agreement (probably missing with so many Local Government reorganisations) they should provide you with a copy of Council's policy on tenants. They must have a copy of a tenancy agreement now issued to new tenants showing current rules. I would like to know how they take people to court for having horses, or goats( I have dealt with such cases) in their flats, without tenancy agreements. :o

Tell them that if they do not have a copy of the Agreement (probably missing with so many Local Government reorganisations) they should provide you with a copy of Council's policy on tenants. They must have a copy of a tenancy agreement now issued to new tenants showing current rules. I would like to know how they take people to court for having horses, or goats( I have dealt with such cases) in their flats, without tenancy agreements. :D

Hiya all

I do have an Email from the UK based embassy stating a letter and rent book are sufficient evidence, however Bangkok said no :D . I have a book from the local housing office with guidance of all the rules and it seems clear it would be fine to stay, upto the legal tenant.

However on the Tenancy agreement they state I have to contact legal advice to request a tenancy ageement and thats a 100 quid! Seems like more money in the pot! :o

Thanks all for your help :D

Any ideas thanks :D

Edited by lopburiguy

Tell them that if they do not have a copy of the Agreement (probably missing with so many Local Government reorganisations) they should provide you with a copy of Council's policy on tenants. They must have a copy of a tenancy agreement now issued to new tenants showing current rules. I would like to know how they take people to court for having horses, or goats( I have dealt with such cases) in their flats, without tenancy agreements. :D

Hiya all

I do have an Email from the UK based embassy stating a letter and rent book are sufficient evidence, however Bangkok said no :D . I have a book from the local housing office with guidance of all the rules and it seems clear it would be fine to stay, upto the legal tenant.

However on the Tenancy agreement they state I have to contact legal advice to request a tenancy ageement and thats a 100 quid! Seems like more money in the pot! :o

Hi Lopburiguy. As I thought they have lost the agreement and it is doubtful if your mother could find her copy after this time. Better for her not to have one as there will be few restrictions. Personally I would forward the e-mail and the Housing Department booklet to the Embassy in Bangkok, recorded delivery, telling them this is all the Council will provide as they cannot provide proof of any Tenancy Agreement having existed. Put the onus on the Embassy by saying " I hope the enclosed information is sufficient for your purposes, however if not would you please advise me as soon as possible how you wish me to proceed".

Hiya all

Hi Lopburiguy. As I thought they have lost the agreement and it is doubtful if your mother could find her copy after this time. Better for her not to have one as there will be few restrictions. Personally I would forward the e-mail and the Housing Department booklet to the Embassy in Bangkok, recorded delivery, telling them this is all the Council will provide as they cannot provide proof of any Tenancy Agreement having existed. Put the onus on the Embassy by saying " I hope the enclosed information is sufficient for your purposes, however if not would you please advise me as soon as possible how you wish me to proceed".

Hi Dragonman

Yes I will forward the email and see what the reply is? differs everytime!!! lol

Anyways I have a little time to spare, which is lucky!!!

Thanks again for your helpful response. :D