Gps/gprs In Thailand Via Laptop

kontraband

Hi ya,

I'am moving to Thailand soon & I shall be doing a lot of travelling.

I have heard from many people that I can get a GPRS connection that will work in Thailand through my AirCard 750 pcmcia card, so I can use my laptop on the move.

Can anyone help me out with any info on cheap, unlimited GPRS connections?

& what requirements will I need to get one? (ie documents, visas)

Regards,

Ad

Cheapest GPRS packages are with AIS, get a data bundle (certain number of hours per month), prices are very cheap but the service sucks a bit. DTAC is more expensive with and they have unlimited GPRS (plus EDGE in Bangkok only) for 1,000 baht/month (more expensive than AIS, but quality is better).

Both deals are for postpaid subscribers. You *need* a work permit to get a post paid account with DTAC. Don't bother arguing with them. Not sure about AIS.

AIS offers 1 baht/minute pre-paid GPRS access.

Am I missing somethng here - I thought that one of the benefits of GPRS is that it was measured on data throughput, rather than connection time - or is it just the way it is implemented in Thailand as they can extract more money this way ?

Guest RealEstateBroker

GPRS works great in Thailand. I use DTAC with a prepaid sim. Seems to work any place you can get a DTAC signal. Not as fast as my Cingular GPRS in the USA but plenty fast enough for surfing around. I have ADSL in BKK and USA so when I use my laptop on the road in Thailand it's a shocker for a little while. Take a look at www.edgethailand.com I used them and I'm a happy customer. Hope this helps.

Am I missing somethng here - I thought that one of the benefits of GPRS is that it was measured on data throughput, rather than connection time - or is it just the way it is implemented in Thailand as they can extract more money this way ?

It usually is, and sounds bad until you see the price of the post paid data packages, which are really cheap. The bundled hours are very generous so it sort of translates into a flat fee. On the old pay-for-kb system it was horribly expensive to surf, but on the time system you can suck as much stuff down as you like without having to worry.

Actually with Dtac it will be 1200 per month - GPRS fee (unlimited) plus "the number" if you use separate sim card with your notebook.

You can use GPRS with a pre-paid (no work permit required) card, but I you won't get "unlimited" option, only per hour/per kb which can get VERY expensive.

If you have any reliable Thai friends they can get a post-paid sim for you in no time. Actually they have to trust you since the bill will come to their mailbox.

Thanks for your comments crushdepth !

I'm thinking of just using a SonyEricson T610, a nokia 3210 or a nokia 6310, with either a cable or bluethooth to the laptop - i think cable would be better.

What are the best deals at the monet for GRPS packages ? A few months ago I saw deals that were not advertised in English and were something like incredible amount of hours (200+) for 400 baht per month

Cheers

I pay 350 Baht/month for 120 hours access. Of these 60 hours have to be during the day and 60 during the night....

Thats cheaper then most dial up packages, but unfortunately you need the the time because it can be slow and unreliable :o

I pay 350 Baht/month for 120 hours access. Of these 60 hours have to be during the day and 60 during the night....

Thats cheaper then most dial up packages, but unfortunately you need the the time because it can be slow and unreliable  :o

Hi - which company does this deal and where can i get it from ?

Cheers

Go to AIS and DTAC when your here and see which offers the best deal at the time. They have booths everywhere.

I have had AIS unlimited package for a couple of years, 850 baht a month, when kids were here, it went up to 900 as they were online almost 20 hours a day.

I wouldn't be surprised when I renew in January 2006 that they move me up to their 1200 Baht unlimited package. I will try a current program renewal first, of course.

There is so much cell phone competition that the major providers are trying new promotions all the time, and I mean monthly changes, so who knows what will be available when you actually get to thieir booth or office.

Beware of any program that charges by time or the number of bytes used, as the system portals can really get slow, while your bytes keep ticking away as does the clock.

Cheers for the info,

I've managed to get a friend to sort out a contract sim for me, all I have to do is inform him what company to go with & then meet him to pickup my sim.

I have seen the AIS (12call) promotion (900 baht P/M) but unfortunatly its only unlimited for 3 months & then a limit of 400 hours P/M. Also I have heard rumours that the transfer rate can get really slow.

Is this the case?? If so has anyone got any ideas on a cheap fast alternative??

Cheers,

Kontraband

By the way... This forum ROCKS!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest RealEstateBroker
Cheers for the info,

I've managed to get a friend to sort out a contract sim for me, all I have to do is inform him what company to go with & then meet him to pickup my sim.

I have seen the AIS (12call) promotion (900 baht P/M) but unfortunatly its only unlimited for 3 months & then a limit of 400 hours P/M. Also I have heard rumours that the transfer rate can get really slow.

Is this the case?? If so has anyone got any ideas on a cheap fast alternative??

Cheers,

Kontraband

By the way... This forum ROCKS!!!!

Just got me Hutch PCMCIA card for my laptop. Works great - much better than GPRS which did not impress me much. 8 kByte/sec download, nominal 230 kbps. Costs 890 Baht per month, 890 MB free, thereafter 1 Baht per MB. The unlimited promotion has expired as by this month. Downside: works only in central Thailand, no service in the South, North and Isaan.