Be Careful With This On Visa Trip Nonghkai To Laos

It seems, it has an impact on everybody, who goes for a visa run to Vientiane, Laos via Nonghkai. Especially for those traveling by bus. And usually it never would be worth a topic for me to start. But this people go to far in my opinion.

Usually I travel with my car to Vientiane, but this time I had to take the bus (from Mae Sot at the Burmese border across the north of Thailand to Nonghkai and then Vientiane). As i also had to do in Chiang mai, I had to take several busses. And of course also several tuktuks and motorbike-taxis everywhere. The most common try to cheat was the following: they agreed on a price for roundtrip and when we came back to the bus station, they always tried to say, this price was only for one way, even when we let them confirm in Thai before several times, that this price is for going somewhere AND back to the bus station. But ok, that's still quite normal. But the following goes in my opinion to far:

There is a new "visa service office in Nonghkai (when coming from Nonghkai to the border, about 700-800 meters before the border). It is on the right side then and the name is something in Thai followed by "2008".

When we arrived at the bus station in Nonghkai, we had immediately a Tuktuk. They agreed to bring us to the border. But then they suddenly stopped at the above mentioned office. We needed such an office as my gf needed to make a border pass; but usually we have a very good one just before the border opposite the 7/11: after making the borderpass they always brought us to the checkpoint with the motorbike for free.

However, it was early in the morning and the taxi driver said, this would be the only open visa office right now. My gf tried to explain him, that this is not the place where we wanted to go. But finally we agreed as we were tired because of the long trip we had behind us.

So we had to wait till 7.15 am to get my gf's border pass. What i have seen in the 1 1/2 hours, we were waiting there, is nearly unbelievable: every Tuktuk coming from anywhere in the city, with people who wanted to go to the border, stopped there. And not only Farangs, also Thais and some people from Laos. I have the idea, this visa office must pay some good commission to the tuktuk drivers. And the people could complain as much as they wanted. At least everybody stepped down at this office.

And everybody also agreed on the visa services then earlier or later. But even with the visa prices they tried to cheat: they tried to suggest, that the visa at the border cost (for my nationality) 1.800 Baht or 30 Dollars. I was wondering, as I remembered from last time 1.300 Baht, when paying in Baht. So they where writing in their offer: US-$ 30 or 1.800 Baht for the visa plus 500 Baht for the visa service. At the border I got the confirmation, that it still cost 1.300 Baht (so i could not complain immediately, as i had to find out first).

Once the border pass for my gf was finished, I asked, if they also can bring us with one of there (3) motorbikes to the border, as agreed before. They said "no, sorry, we cant". Instead of this we should take one of the Tuktuks waiting there in front. This made me then completley pissed off. Not about the 2 times 20 baht I should pay. But the way, how they tried to get money of everybody. While waiting, my gf even was not allowed to use their bathroom to refresh herself. At our service office, where she applied always before for the border pass, they gave her coffee, she could use the toilet, they brought us for free by motorbike to the border checkpoint and they have the real prices for the visa at the border and not try to cheat on this. And they are very friendly.

So i just want to warn everybody, who's on the way from Nonghkai to the Thai Laos border by Tuktuk. For sure the tuktuk will try to stop at this visa office (about 700 meters before the border and a "2008" in their business name - the rest is in Thai language). And then it's getting much too expensive.

It is ok for me to get money, when you offer services. But bringing people not there, where they paid for and then try to make even more money with hidden costs is not my preferred business policy of serious comapanies...

So just be aware of them

That sounds odd. I always took the small buses from the checkpoint at Nong Khai to the checkpoint in Lao for visa and if going on to Vientiane took another small bus and the same back. Too bad they set up that rip off business. There's enough to deal with just having to go to Lao in the first place.

That sounds odd

I'm sure, here will come more complaints about it soon. They really try to make it in a big style. If they only make this with 10 Farangs a day, they make about 15.000 Baht profit a day (including the hidden costs). That's big money...

Yes, they tried it on me a few times.

I usually spend the night in Nong Khai and get a tuktuk to the border in the morning.

On a few trips they try to take me to this office that's on the way to the border. I tell them Lao and they keep going. It may be the same place, on the right-hand side of the road, and I believe it's the road that crosses the RR tracks about 1 km before the frontier.

I usually stay in some bungalows that don't get many farang, so last time there I was surprised to see a tuktuk waiting at the gate, maybe someone told him a foreigner (me) was there. I usually shun the parked-and-waiting guys but his fare was the right price, so off we went. When we were in front of the office he tried to convince me (in his dozen-word English vocabulary) that this is where I need to go. Of course I told him just go on. If I had never come this before I may have taken him more seriously, but then I never read about such on a travel forum. Pretty audacious <deleted>, no doubt the shyster pays out commissions.

If people aren't able to figure out how to do visa run by themselves, they deserve these kinds of things to happen every now and again.

Never used a visa service. Never been ripped off. It's all very easy to do you know.

So i just want to warn everybody, who's on the way from Nonghkai to the Thai Laos border by Tuktuk. For sure the tuktuk will try to stop at this visa office

No they won't,because you tell them that you have one already. Then when you get to the border you simply get it yourself in 5 minutes. What's so difficult?

Good post starcatcher, hope it helps a member, guest or freinds of this forum.

For sure the tuktuk will try to stop at this visa office

This is exactly what happened to me last year, but luckily friends had already advised me i could get the visa at the official immigration border office. So I told the tuk tuk driver to carry on to the border. If i wasn't informed, i probably would have used this visa office, like so many others.

thomo

If people aren't able to figure out how to do visa run by themselves, they deserve these kinds of things to happen every now and again.

One of the reasons I joined :signthaivisa: was to share helpful information with others.

All starcatcher is trying to do is give others a warning if they haven't done this border crossing before and save themselves a few Baht.

No need for the

What's so difficult?
:yellowcard:

Boycie

Yes, they tried it on me a few times.

I usually spend the night in Nong Khai and get a tuktuk to the border in the morning.

On a few trips they try to take me to this office that's on the way to the border. I tell them Lao and they keep going. It may be the same place, on the right-hand side of the road, and I believe it's the road that crosses the RR tracks about 1 km before the frontier.

I usually stay in some bungalows that don't get many farang, so last time there I was surprised to see a tuktuk waiting at the gate, maybe someone told him a foreigner (me) was there. I usually shun the parked-and-waiting guys but his fare was the right price, so off we went. When we were in front of the office he tried to convince me (in his dozen-word English vocabulary) that this is where I need to go. Of course I told him just go on. If I had never come this before I may have taken him more seriously, but then I never read about such on a travel forum. Pretty audacious <deleted>, no doubt the shyster pays out commissions.

How much should I pay the Tuk Tuk from Nong Khai to the border?

From the train station its baht 30 in a share. They will demand forty and there is a but of a mafia thing going on now. So if you take the train, round up the farang and everybody pay 30. Its so short you can walk in the cool of the morning. I've walked back in the heat of day rather than pay those mafia maggots some stupid amount of money for a 2.km ride (at best) to from he first point wher eyou get the bus.

You can do the Lao visa in Laos. You do not need an agent. Take a pic with you.....

But early in the morning the busses from Udon arrive and they get priority in Laos. So you have to wait some time.

The tuktuk fee from the RR station to the bridge should be 20 baht but since the tuktuk drivers are waiting long time for customers they charge 30 and will try 40. 30 Baht is OK than. But you can walk too, it is not far.

Be careful. Some visa agents in NK are not accepted at the other side of the border. They will send you back or let you wait long time. Some agents use stolen visa stamps...

Again, you can do all visa stuff at the other side of the bridge. They speak English. Signs are in English too.

Good luck.

You can do the Lao visa in Laos. You do not need an agent. Take a pic with you.....

But early in the morning the busses from Udon arrive and they get priority in Laos. So you have to wait some time.

The tuktuk fee from the RR station to the bridge should be 20 baht but since the tuktuk drivers are waiting long time for customers they charge 30 and will try 40. 30 Baht is OK than. But you can walk too, it is not far.

Be careful. Some visa agents in NK are not accepted at the other side of the border. They will send you back or let you wait long time. Some agents use stolen visa stamps...

Again, you can do all visa stuff at the other side of the bridge. They speak English. Signs are in English too.

Good luck.

I

You mention that "Buses from Udon get priority" I assume these buses go directly to the border crossing? Where would I get this bus in Udon? Is it easier than going to Nong Khai by bus and then finding my way my tuk tuk to cross the bridge? Thanks.

Good luck.

1. I have never seen any group get priority. I am not saying thi sis incorrect as things can change. DO NOT DALLY. When you get off your choice of transport - move on swiftly.

2. Those Tuk-Tuk as you states SHOULD BE20, they that ain't gonna happen. From he RR station do as I had mentioned above. When you round up all the farang, they get more fares AND it becomes an all or nothing thing. Do not despair for them "waiting long time for customers" it is their choice to languish at he train station instead of moving about town. Its a mafia of lazy divers.

3. Never use an agent anywhere for anything. It is never cheaper or faster (unless other factors such as transport [taxi to/fro emb-cons] may be included in the mix, then rarely cheaper) and there can be all sorts of complications. There is also a certain travel wisdom you gain by DYI'ing it. The exception are the visa run vans to Cambodia.

This border xing is a bit unusual, that's why you should DIY. When I get off the train - I am usually ahead of the pack. BRING USD and do not complain about the xch rate (if you use THB) or anything else at the window. BRING USD! BRING A PEN!!

1300 bhat is not the right price to pay into Laos..

I flew in a months ago and at the airport it cost me around 1700 baht for the visa and i have done the train journey a few times and its always been around 1500 baht..

everything else you say..i do not know about..

but if you expect to pay 1300 baht for the visa you will be disappointed everytime.

1300 bhat is not the right price to pay into Laos..

I flew in a months ago and at the airport it cost me around 1700 baht for the visa and i have done the train journey a few times and its always been around 1500 baht..

everything else you say..i do not know about..

but if you expect to pay 1300 baht for the visa you will be disappointed everytime.

Nationality dependent, I think.

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20service/visafee.htm

Edited by mahtin

If you are taking your wife/partner with you to Laos and she has not got a passport you will have to stop at one of them Visa offering places mentioned by the OP.

Be aware that if you come out of the train station road and turn left....you will walk about 2/300 metres on your left is a 7/11 right opposite is a travel agency the last one before you turn right to go to the border........this is the best of the bunch she is a nice lady sits you down and there is free coffee and Ovaltine while you wait for your partners papers 15/20 mins......the cost for the border pass which is valid for 5 days is 100 bt no more....for any farang go to the border and do yours there.

Also i think that most of these agencys are linked anyway one way or another,i have the e/mail of the lady we dealt (Pathom)with and also her phone number if anybody requires it PM me.

If you get a tuk-tuk from the station to the agencies the price will be 150 bt cos the driver gets his 50bt delivery fee from them and then you will have to pay for the tuk-tuk,another 30 bt! and he will leave you there.

After a long train journey i cannot understand anybody unless with a disability that would not walk to the border it is easy there are a few shops and Thai restaurants and takes no more than 20 mins stroll!

I really enjoy the walk in the early morning after being on the train all night and not giving the tuk-tuk mafia a penny is a good start to a border run. :D

Hey Sanook - Last year I do recall it is was indeed a whopping B1300. If the airport is charging an addl four that's criminal.

It is def nationality dependent but most of us pay same. There is a chart where you submit your app.

NADTATIDA1 : I often have a full backpack (33L), packed with electronics and camping gear :-). But I agree about the walk, esp if you have only an overnight bag. It is not far. But, taking a tuk tuk may put you ahead of the game. Walking surely will not and the train is often late (always). Sorry about the bold type

BRING USD and you will pay MUCH less! DO NOT CRY ABOUT THE XCH RATE - youve been warned. Same goes for Cambodia.

Hey Sanook - Last year I do recall it is was indeed a whopping B1300. If the airport is charging an addl four that's criminal.

It is def nationality dependent but most of us pay same. There is a chart where you submit your app.

NADTATIDA1 : I often have a full backpack (33L), packed with electronics and camping gear :-). But I agree about the walk, esp if you have only an overnight bag. It is not far. But, taking a tuk tuk may put you ahead of the game. Walking surely will not and the train is often late (always). Sorry about the bold type

BRING USD and you will pay MUCH less! DO NOT CRY ABOUT THE XCH RATE - youve been warned. Same goes for Cambodia.

:D Being ahead of the game is not always the best idea especially because of what you have referred to....TIME! Everybody knows that to plan in Thailand is not the way especially if you are using public transport.....the young bull and the old bull story comes to mind! :P you can never tell how many are going to be at the border at any given time so the worst scenario in your head normally is the best plan for a happy run.

On the point of the tuk-tuk it is not the 30 bt....it is the fredom of taking a walk after the long journey stretch your legs and get some air.

I agree with the heavy bags sure.

Edited by lopburi3
correct spelling

....it is the fredom of taking a w--k after the long journey stretch your legs and get some air.

Please tell me this was a typo?

Edited by lopburi3
spelling

....it is the fredom of taking a w--k after the long journey stretch your legs and get some air.

Please tell me this was a typo?

:D Oops! I am sure a Mod can come along and give me a hand,what the L was i thinking?

Edited by lopburi3
spelling