Sole Custody Paper Clarification - Final Question! ;-)

They're different. A KP 14 is a statement that would usually include the history of the child's life showing where the child has lived, etc throughout their life and who has been responsible for the day to day upbringing and decision making during his/her lifetime.

They're different. A KP 14 is a statement that would usually include the history of the child's life showing where the child has lived, etc throughout their life and who has been responsible for the day to day upbringing and decision making during his/her lifetime.

Is a KP 14 paper neceessary if my wife has a sole custody paper from the court (will be issued tomorrow)? She's been told with the court paper she needs to go to the Amphur and they will amend her original divorce certificate. Her ex-husband already completed some sort of form for her son to have a passport, although I'm not sure what paper this was called.

If it is necessary for a KP 14 paper will my wife have to get this from the local Amphur or can you get this from any Amphur? Is it something you can just get if you turn up? Also what do you need and who do you need to take with you?

Many thanks

Edited by stament

A kor por 14 may be useful as evidence of sole responsibility when parent and child have been living apart; though not by itself, other evidence would be needed too.

However, as your wife and her son have always lived together sole responsibility should be taken as read. It wouldn't hurt to get one, though.

I believe that it has to be obtained from your wife's local ampur, but other than that do not know the procedure.

A kor por 14 may be useful as evidence of sole responsibility when parent and child have been living apart; though not by itself, other evidence would be needed too.

However, as your wife and her son have always lived together sole responsibility should be taken as read. It wouldn't hurt to get one, though.

I believe that it has to be obtained from your wife's local ampur, but other than that do not know the procedure.

On another thread somebody directed me to the Ministry website which says the Kor Por 14 is required for obtaining a passport, it quotes:

If the applicant was born to parents who did not sign a marriage certificate, only the mother of the applicant can sign the parental consent form. She will need to bring a letter guaranteeing sole guardianship issued by her domicile district office (Por Kor 14) accompanied by her ID Card which must bear the title ‘Miss’.

Now I'm confused as my wife's step son already has a passport and her ex-husband (father) had to sign some paper in order for him to get the passport. Could this be the mystery Por Kor 14 paper I've been seeking by any chance or is that likely to be something else, and this just a red herring?

Looks likely we won't get the paper in time as she only has tomorrow to try and obtain it and Amphur Chiang Mai are saying there's no such paper!

Thanks

A KP 14 is not a form you fill in, it's a statement made by your wife and two credible witnesses in front of a local government official at her local Amphur. Basically it should contain the history of her son/daughters life including when/where and with whom he/she has lived throughout their life and who has had responsibility, financially and otherwise, for their upbringing and decision making during their lifetime. It can also contain anything else your wife might think relevant to show she has sole responsibility. The two witnesses should be responsible members of the local community (eg; teacher, government/police official) who has known both your wife and her child for all/most of the child's life and can confirm the honesty of your wife's statement.

A KP 14 is required by the Thai passport office to prove custody/responsibility when the child's parents were never officially married so there's no court/Amphur divorce document available to prove custody. When there is an official custody document the passport office don't require a KP 14.

Your wife's ID card doesn't have to show 'Miss' on it to get a KP14. As an example, my wife and I were already married and her ID was in 'Mrs' when we got the KP 14 to get her daughter's passport and add to the visa application folder.

Both the Thai passport office and the British Embassy require an original document, neither will accept a copy, so for those who need a KP 14 for both make sure you ask for two at the Amphur.

A KP 14 is not a form you fill in, it's a statement made by your wife and two credible witnesses in front of a local government official at her local Amphur. Basically it should contain the history of her son/daughters life including when/where and with whom he/she has lived throughout their life and who has had responsibility, financially and otherwise, for their upbringing and decision making during their lifetime. It can also contain anything else your wife might think relevant to show she has sole responsibility. The two witnesses should be responsible members of the local community (eg; teacher, government/police official) who has known both your wife and her child for all/most of the child's life and can confirm the honesty of your wife's statement.

A KP 14 is required by the Thai passport office to prove custody/responsibility when the child's parents were never officially married so there's no court/Amphur divorce document available to prove custody. When there is an official custody document the passport office don't require a KP 14.

Your wife's ID card doesn't have to show 'Miss' on it to get a KP14. As an example, my wife and I were already married and her ID was in 'Mrs' when we got the KP 14 to get her daughter's passport and add to the visa application folder.

Both the Thai passport office and the British Embassy require an original document, neither will accept a copy, so for those who need a KP 14 for both make sure you ask for two at the Amphur.

She's not going to be able to get the sworn statement in time. She's not in her village now so doesn't have access to witnesses. We received a court paper which she took to the Amphur and got a paper from them proving sole custody.

I'm just going to get her to type a letter in English about the history of her relationship with her son and sign it. I'm afraid that's all we can do in the time limits. As her son has been living with her all the time (now 3.5yrs old) and her ex-husband hasnn't been involved in his life for almost 3 years, I'm hoping it will be enough.

If they ask for the sworn statement as they're not satisfied late then fine, but I'll be disappointed if they straight forward refuse based on not having this as the Settlement checklist doesn't state this is specifically needed.

Guess it's a case of wait and see...........

Thanks for all your help everyone.

As has been said to you before; mother and child have been living together for the child's entire life, so sole responsibility should not be an issue. Therefore no need for a KP14.

If you look at SET7.8 What is sole responsibility? you will see that most of the questions begin "If the sponsoring parent and child are separated" or "If the sponsoring parent migrated to the UK."

In the 8+ years I've been involved in forums such as this one, I have never heard of a child applicant being refused on sole responsibility grounds when parent and child have been living together and are applying together.

Whilst I, too, like to adopt a belt and braces approach and feel it's better to have something that's not required rather than risk leaving out something that is; I do feel that you are worrying unnecessarily over this point.

All the best.

As has been said to you before; mother and child have been living together for the child's entire life, so sole responsibility should not be an issue. Therefore no need for a KP14.

If you look at SET7.8 What is sole responsibility? you will see that most of the questions begin "If the sponsoring parent and child are separated" or "If the sponsoring parent migrated to the UK."

In the 8+ years I've been involved in forums such as this one, I have never heard of a child applicant being refused on sole responsibility grounds when parent and child have been living together and are applying together.

Whilst I, too, like to adopt a belt and braces approach and feel it's better to have something that's not required rather than risk leaving out something that is; I do feel that you are worrying unnecessarily over this point.

All the best.

Thanks for that, sorry I'm just worried that's all that we've missed something. As you know it takes so long to put these applications together, and what with having to go through the courts to get the custody order it's been over six months sin ce we first started out. Plus we've still got the agonising wait to come.............

Thanks again to all and we'll be sure to report back.