Uk Settlement Visa Price Error

Anyone come across this ? Fees on UK Visa Information - Visa Fees say Bt32,200 but the visa form and application emails say Bt33,488. Obviously some clerical screw up but as they only take cheques, not cards or cash, it poses quite a problem. Our problem but of their making.

I guess telephone and check but anyone know which is the previous and which the current ?

Hi Mercury

When my partner applied for her visa the embassy rate was based a 52 Baht to the pound so was 33488 but I notice that this changed on 9th June when the rate chaged to being based at 50 Baht to the pound so the current rate would be the lower one at 32,200.Guess they changed the website but the forms have not been changed yet.

Sounds about the norm

Cheers

The actual fee for a settlement visa is £644; payable in local currency.

As foreign exchange rates fluctuate hourly, or even more frequently, if embassies used the current commercial rate they would have to check it and possibly charge a different fee for every applicant. At best the fee in local currency would change every day. So they use what is called the consular rate. Embassies use this rate for all their fees, not just visa applications.

The rate is reviewed regularly and adjusted if necessary, however it does usually seem to be slightly above the commercial rate; in Bangkok anyway.

As catch245uk says, the current consular rate in Bangkok is 50 baht to £1 and this was changed on 9th June.

I assume, Mercury, that the information you refer to showing the old fee in baht must have been issued before the change; they are usually fairly efficient in updating this.

The moral of this is that one should always check the current fee in baht as close as possible to purchasing the cashiers cheque/bank draft and submitting the application; same day if at all possible.

Printed the forms today and the forms say 33488 but I do see the 9th June rate change. Thing is that once you submit, you cannot change the forms. Why on earth you cannot just pay online I do not know. Why you cannot just pay by card at the time I know not even less !

Printed the forms today and the forms say 33488 but I do see the 9th June rate change. Thing is that once you submit, you cannot change the forms. Why on earth you cannot just pay online I do not know. Why you cannot just pay by card at the time I know not even less !

I just called the Embassy and they confirmed it's THB 32,200. I guess they just didn't update the forms. Although I would hope that if someone went down there with a draft for the higher amount they would accept it and refund difference or at least let you go back to the bank and get new draft without causing delays. Then again this is Thailand, so who knows. Personally if it was a problem, I'd tell them to keep the change but they probably wouldn't allow that either, red tape and all!

I just called the Embassy and they confirmed it's THB 32,200. I guess they just didn't update the forms. Although I would hope that if someone went down there with a draft for the higher amount they would accept it and refund difference or at least let you go back to the bank and get new draft without causing delays. Then again this is Thailand, so who knows. Personally if it was a problem, I'd tell them to keep the change but they probably wouldn't allow that either, red tape and all!

I think I have read recently that someone did go down with a draft for the incorrect amount and was required to go and get another one for the correct amount. As this came from his account and not hers, she could not negotiate the draft, they would not accept it and as he was not in Thailand at the time, it was a nightmare as she did not have the funds to cover another draft !

The paper forms do not have the fee on them; don't know about the online system as I have never used it. However, if it does show the fee then from my experience with other government online systems it will be the fee when one started the process, not that when one printed the form out.

Whichever, the moral is, as said before, check the fee before purchasing the draft and visiting the VAC; preferably on the same day.

The paper forms do not have the fee on them; don't know about the online system as I have never used it. However, if it does show the fee then from my experience with other government online systems it will be the fee when one started the process, not that when one printed the form out.

Whichever, the moral is, as said before, check the fee before purchasing the draft and visiting the VAC; preferably on the same day.

I can confirm the online forms do show the visa fee as I've got a copy of one in front of me stating THB 33,488. Obviously it will now be THB 32,200

Am I correct in thinking that cashiers cheques should be made payable to the British Embassy?

Apologies, I just found the answer, FWIW it's British Embassy Bangkok.

Edited by chiang mai

Did you start the online process before or after 9th June, when the exchange rate used in calculating the fee in baht was revised?

We started before.

Thanks.

So it seems that if the consular rate, and so the fee in baht, changes whilst one is in the middle of completing an online application, one will be given the old fee, not the new one.

So, always check the actual fee on the website.

Did you start the online process before or after 9th June, when the exchange rate used in calculating the fee in baht was revised?

We started before.

Thanks.

So it seems that if the consular rate, and so the fee in baht, changes whilst one is in the middle of completing an online application, one will be given the old fee, not the new one.

So, always check the actual fee on the website.

That's not what I was told this morning. I was told it would be THB 32,200 when she goes on Friday. If she needs an additional amount because they charge her at the old rate, when she turns up. She'll have to get another cheque for the additional amount.

This issue still is unclear. We need a definitive statement from UK VAC or the Embassy as I'm worried what we've been told on the phone might not be the case. I guess its just a case of turning up and seeing unfortunately.

Technically, she hasn't applied yet so I don't see why she should be charged the old rate, surely the current rate i.e. THB 32,200 should apply. All that has been made is the appointment and the on-line application.

Edited by stament

Sorry, I could have worded it better.

What I meant was that the fee given to you by the online sytem is wrong; it was the fee when you started the process, but the fee has changed since then.

The actual fee due is that displayed in Visa Application Fees on the day you submit the application. Today, that is 32200 baht; but check again on the actual day.

Sorry, I could have worded it better.

What I meant was that the fee given to you by the online sytem is wrong; it was the fee when you started the process, but the fee has changed since then.

The actual fee due is that displayed in Visa Application Fees on the day you submit the application. Today, that is 32200 baht; but check again on the actual day.

Yes your posting was a bit ambiguous. Thanks for clarifiying. I'm pretty sure it won't change price in the next 2 days! ;-)

I think I have read recently that someone did go down with a draft for the incorrect amount and was required to go and get another one for the correct amount. As this came from his account and not hers, she could not negotiate the draft, they would not accept it and as he was not in Thailand at the time, it was a nightmare as she did not have the funds to cover another draft !

This happened to my wife when she applied and the website said a different amount to what the quoted at Regent house. I went to the trouble of getting a draft in Pattaya the day before we got to Bangkok and the amount had actually gone DOWN. I told them that it was ok and they could keep the extra but they refused saying that the amount had to be exact on the cheque and they coudnt give change. They are a shambles!

Our forms, done yesterday, 20th June, show the old figure but as some say, better to be prepared for them to change again ! As her appointment is not until late afternoon, I guess she can go get the draft the same day, telephoning beforehand to check the rate. I would prefer her to go a few days before but with my luck, they'd change the rate in between !

Our forms, done yesterday, 20th June, show the old figure but as some say, better to be prepared for them to change again ! As her appointment is not until late afternoon, I guess she can go get the draft the same day, telephoning beforehand to check the rate. I would prefer her to go a few days before but with my luck, they'd change the rate in between !

I don't think they change the rate very often, every 2 or 3 months I think but don't quote me on that.

Submitted our application two days ago, the print out of the on-line application specified the higher figure, two days ago a cheque for 32,200 was accepted - the fees notice outside the office specifies 32,200.