Tourism And Local Business In Samui

I wish I knew the answer myself! tongue.gif

It's not just the BKK troubles; it is economic uncertainties, volcanos, curency strength etc that is making this season quiet. How quiet? Dunno ..... maybe next year we will get numbers to tell us.

I am not in business here, and overall I see fewer people around than I have for a few years. BUT .... I still see full restaurants, busy bars, and upmarket villas with their lights on. Often next door to empty ones. It seems to me that if your product is right, then people will come. Provide a service that is the same as everyone else and you are going to have to work very hard to make it pay.

I think .... :blink:

Can't wait to see what others have to say. :)

It's low season in Thailand, so there maybe some discounts, but I doubt 50%,. It depends on the owner, some may raise the price, some may lower it. It's been raining for most of the past 24 hours in Phuket so going to Samui right now may be a bit rough. If you think there will be discounts during the high season because of the problems that are now finished in Bangkok, think again...

as for unrest in BKK affected tourism and local business? well from clients I do business with ( europeans, chinese, koreans, etc )

the chinese, koreans cancelled quite a lot, quite different from last year honestly. Customers are still coming, mind you at the moment we don't have further bookings like usual. Usually we have advanced bookings 3 months plus but not so many right now. at the moment our hotel and another hotel i know of are running 50% occupancy. For july still have 50% occupancy. Keep in mind majority of our customers are european though. There is one restaurant in chaweng that I always see customers though its called Will Wait. They've done ok better than most restaurants. At least from what the staff there tell me. As for the unrest in my opinion I'm thinking anyone who runs a business needs to start preparing again right now both mentally and financial if possible for more political upheavyful within the next 5 - 11 months.

Note: All hotels usually get bookings from usually:

1. Travel Agency ( usually all hotels deal with big travel agencies ) Thomas Cook, few big other ones

2. Online Travel Website: Expedia, kayak,agoda, asiahotels, asiarooms. and a few other online websites that we sell our rooms to, that inturn show you our hotel and the price of the room.

3. Direct from our own website.

It's low season in Thailand, so there maybe some discounts, but I doubt 50%,. It depends on the owner, some may raise the price, some may lower it. It's been raining for most of the past 24 hours in Phuket so going to Samui right now may be a bit rough. If you think there will be discounts during the high season because of the problems that are now finished in Bangkok, think again...

Raining in Phuket means it's sunshine in Samui.

Average rain Phuket.

Average rain Samui.

And NO, luxury rentals never goes down.

They are just waiting for the next customer instead.

Average rain Phuket.

Average rain Samui.

Really? Are you in Samui now? Please check: http://www.sattmet.tmd.go.th/newversion/mergesat.html

But the second part I agree with.

Average rain Phuket.

Average rain Samui.

Really? Are you in Samui now? Please check: THAI-METEOROLOGICAL SATELLITE SECTION

Yes, Samuian Expat for five years.

We actually got half and hour rain today.

No government water for the past three weeks due to no rain. :(

Average rain Phuket.

Average rain Samui.

Really? Are you in Samui now? Please check: THAI-METEOROLOGICAL SATELLITE SECTION

Yes, Samuian Expat for five years.

We actually got half and hour rain today.

No government water for the past three weeks due to no rain. :(

Looks like you may get some more rain by the satellite photo. Are the seas rough over there? My water well is quite full of fresh smelling, clear water. The seas are quite rough. I've heard before low season here is high season there. I've never made the drive over there... The Adaman sea seems much cleaner then the Gulf of Thailand. What's the nicest part of Samui, with the least amount of tourists? Maybe I'll make a road trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people think that as it is quiet they can be rather cheeky. I had one guy write to say that with all the trouble in BKK and it being very quiet on the island he would do me a favour and rent the villa I take care of for 35,000 baht a month. It rents for 35,000 a night in peak season dropping to 26,000 in low. :D Mind as my old dad used to say " if you don't ask you don't get " Nobody minds doing a deal at the moment but I very much doubt you will get 50% anywhere.

Some people think that as it is quiet they can be rather cheeky. I had one guy write to say that with all the trouble in BKK and it being very quiet on the island he would do me a favour and rent the villa I take care of for 35,000 baht a month. It rents for 35,000 a night in peak season dropping to 26,000 in low. :D Mind as my old dad used to say " if you don't ask you don't get " Nobody minds doing a deal at the moment but I very much doubt you will get 50% anywhere.

yep low season. samui goes from 1 extreme to the other. went to a pizza restrant last night. it looked like they were crying for help due to too many customers and lack of staff. wasn't like that 1 week ago

yep low season. samui goes from 1 extreme to the other. went to a pizza restrant last night. it looked like they were crying for help due to too many customers and lack of staff. wasn't like that 1 week ago

I think your reasoning lacks logic? Why would you assume they were crying for help thru lack of staff!! My guess is that they have had an unusual busy spell when everyone comes in together. Busy one minute, no customers the next..... :rolleyes:

Resorts 3* up are good booked since January and it will stay this way. If beer bars are not so frequented, consider that most of the tourists are not interested in bars, but in beachlife, a trip to Big Buddha/Angthong/Koh Tao, little shopping and Thai F&B. And they are happy with that indeed.