Jars For Bottled Food

angiud

Thank you to everybody, I've found what I need.

We're glad you're in business! However, it would be helpful to find out

exactly where you bought your jars, rings, lids;

what sizes, standard or metric;

who you talked to, phone numbers;

do they have them all year or only certain seasons;

and, of course, how much you paid.

You might find it's cheaper to order cases of jars from abroad.

Lastly, I think we're all curious as to what you're putting in those jars, how many and are you selling???

You must be VERY careful to follow precise temperature and times for either water bath or pressure canning, particularly for tomatoes, fish and meats. Cleanliness is essential: Sterilising your jars and lids a must. The rims of each jars must be perfectly clean with no chips or irregularities. You also have to make certain the lid depresses ensuring a seal when it cools. (If this doesn't happen, repeat the water bath or pressure treatment and second time's a charm.)

Edited by unblocktheplanet

Thank you to everybody, I've found what I need.

We're glad you're in business! However, it would be helpful to find out

exactly where you bought your jars, rings, lids;

what sizes, standard or metric;

who you talked to, phone numbers;

do they have them all year or only certain seasons;

and, of course, how much you paid.

You might find it's cheaper to order cases of jars from abroad.

Lastly, I think we're all curious as to what you're putting in those jars, how many and are you selling???

You must be VERY careful to follow precise temperature and times for either water bath or pressure canning, particularly for tomatoes, fish and meats. Cleanliness is essential: Sterilising your jars and lids a must. The rims of each jars must be perfectly clean with no chips or irregularities. You also have to make certain the lid depresses ensuring a seal when it cools. (If this doesn't happen, repeat the water bath or pressure treatment and second time's a charm.)

Jars are not going to be cheaper from abroad with the cost of shipping - and then there's the hassle of importing them, tea money, breakage during shipping, etc.

Low pH products (pH 4.5 or lower - like certain fruits, jams, tomatoes, etc) are relatively easy to can, and can even be done at home in a water bath. To be safe, many canning recipes add vinegar to ensure the pH is low enough for safety.

Higher pH items (pH above 4.5) like meats, fish, beans and other vegies, etc... MUST be pressure canned (unless pH has been lowered - as with pickles). Always follow your pressure cooker/canner instructions. You can get more info and safe canning recipes at the USFDA website. You can also find a list of standard pH ratings for many common food items as well. You don't want to be guessing when it comes to preserving food, as there is potential for food poisoning. Botulism is deadly.

Play it safe, everyone.