Films Which Left Your Heart Broken

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that comes to mind is Born Free.

I saw it when I was a kid and cryed my eyes out for hours because of Elsa's death.

Oh yeah. One other. I always get a lump in my throat when I see the scene from Blade Runner where Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty says "All these moments lost in time, like tear drops in the rain. Time to die".

Gets me every time.

Edited by Sir Burr

Most definitely it would have to be "Old Yeller".  Its the story about a boy who adopts a stray dog, 'Old Yeller', and throughout the movie they get into all sorts of trouble with different animals and such with Old Yeller rescuing the boy.  Anyway, the tearjerking part at the end is when the family is forced to youthanise the dog.  Its the only movie that mad me cry. :o

Salaam Bombay, by Mira Nair. It's the story about this little boy that gets left behind in a Bombay slum. He falls in with the local orphan gang, but also holds on to his resolve to return to a life with his family by saving a little bit of money every day. He keeps it in a secret hiding place on the street. The end will absolutely rip your heart out.

And by the way, Trip x, your post reminded me of a documentary that made me bawl. Some American soldiers used German Shepards in the Vietnam War. They raised and trained these dogs, and lived with them on the frontlines of the war. The dogs saved lives by detecting movements in the dark, taking bullets, and foiling trip bombs. If anyone has any doubt about the intelligence and loyalty of animals and the conscious bonds between them and people, it would cease after seeing this documentary. After the war, one of the soldiers wanted to take the dog that saved the lives of his unit numerous times back to the states. The government wouldn't let him. They showed a scene of the dog and the man staring at each other as the dog is driven away, most probaly to the nearest dog stew kitchen. Thirty years on, that guy was still sobbing as he told the story.

"Life as a house" Kevin Kline (almost called my Dad after watching that;) :D

"Gallipoli" (amazing, sad, heroic)

"Boy with a Baboon Heart" (sob;) :o

Oh, and "Life is Beautiful" (as someone mentioned)

"On Golden Pond" also comes to mind (you old poop)

"Spartacus" (forget that glam Gladiator nonsense- this was the real deal)

"The Station Master" (best small movie in years)

One very recent one- "Crash" (this movie lingers)

There's alot more...just can't think of em (thankfully) :D

• 2 weeks later...
Most definitely it would have to be "Old Yeller".  Its the story about a boy who adopts a stray dog, 'Old Yeller', and throughout the movie they get into all sorts of trouble with different animals and such with Old Yeller rescuing the boy.  Anyway, the tearjerking part at the end is when the family is forced to youthanise the dog.  Its the only movie that mad me cry. :o

Good grief - I'd forgotten this one. My mum took me to see this when I was a little boy (maybe mid-60s?) and I cried and cried. But then again, I still cry (and I'm now 44) when I see ET (the bits where he dies and comes back to life, when the flower wilts then revives, and the bit at the end when EY says "come" and Elliott says "stay"). Very simple and very moving, but my kids rip the mick out of me for doing it.

Also, 'Closer' with Jude Law, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts. A friend reckoned it was 'sexy', but I genuinely found it a deeply disturbing film about how nasty people can be to each other.

One film that really knocked me sideways was King Rat, with George Seagel. Incidentally, the music too was incredible.

I'd only recently returned to the UK after 2 years service with the RAF in Singapore. One day, two American air force guys and myself hired a car and went for a drive around Singapore.

We got a bit lost, got out of the car and I saw a sign saying Kangi.

It turned out to be the main war cemetry for all those who had died under horrendous circumstances during the Japanese occupation - including the infamous Changi jail

The three of us were totally overwhelmed by the place. In the centre was a monument consisting of walls engraved with the names of those who died with no known grave - thousands of them. It was an experience which still haunts me and makes me feel humbled.

So, when I watched that film, it held far more poignancy and sadness for me.

Oddly enough, I haven't heard any more about the film and it seems to have sunk without trace.

Did anyone else see it and, if so, did it effect them anywhere near as much as it did me?

One film that really knocked me sideways was King Rat, with George Seagel.  Incidentally, the music too was incredible.

I'd only recently returned to the UK after 2 years service with the RAF in Singapore. One day, two American air force guys and myself hired a car and went for a drive around Singapore.

It turned out to be the main war cemetry for all those who had died under horrendous circumstances during the Japanese occupation - including the infamous Changi jail

The three of us were totally overwhelmed by the place.  In the centre was a monument consisting of walls engraved with the names of those who died with no known grave - thousands of them.  It was an experience which still haunts me and makes me feel humbled.

Oddly enough, I haven't heard any more about the film and it seems to have sunk without trace.

Did anyone else see it and, if so, did it effect them anywhere near as much as it did me?

This is a truly great film - George Segal gives a fine performance and Tom Courtney is excellent.

There are many theories as to why this film never became really popular (at least as popular as it should have been): made in black and white at a time (1965) when most major film companies were using all their resources to promote colour movies is one of them; the film covered events only 20 years old and reawakened emotions many were still working to overcome; but the most common reason, I think, is the sub-theme of homosexuality, though common place today, was still rather shocking to 1965 audiences.

If ever a film needs a re-release in these war anniversary times it is this one - seeing it reminds us of the terrible sacrifices these heroes and the not so heroic had to make to secure our future.

But also how humiliating and ignominious it is to be a prisoner of war: how the strong become week and week become strong; how limits of acceptable behaviour become shattered; how beliefs and certainties loose their value; how animal-like we are and will become - even to level of the rat. Some survive, but none survive unhurt.

I have seen all of this happening again and again, too many times, in my work with ICRC.

King Rat's genius is that it accurately captures all of this and more.

One film that really knocked me sideways was King Rat, with George Seagel.  Incidentally, the music too was incredible.

The three of us were totally overwhelmed by the place.  In the centre was a monument consisting of walls engraved with the names of those who died with no known grave - thousands of them.  It was an experience which still haunts me and makes me feel humbled.

This is a truly great film - George Segal gives a fine performance and Tom Courtney is excellent.

There are many theories as to why this film never became really popular (at least as popular as it should have been): made in black and white at a time (1965) when most major film companies were using all their resources to promote colour movies is one of them; the film covered events only 20 years old and reawakened emotions many were still working to overcome; but the most common reason, I think, is the sub-theme of homosexuality, though common place today, was still rather shocking to 1965 audiences.

If ever a film needs a re-release in these war anniversary times it is this one - seeing it reminds us of the terrible sacrifices these heroes and the not so heroic had to make to secure our future.

But also how humiliating and ignominious it is to be a prisoner of war: how the strong become week and week become strong; how limits of acceptable behaviour become shattered; how beliefs and certainties loose their value; how animal-like we are and will become - even to level of the rat. Some survive, but none survive unhurt.

I have seen all of this happening again and again, too many times, in my work with ICRC.

Can't say that I picked up on the homosexuality bit. The only inference of sexual behaviour I can remember is that, in one scene, a clearly angst ridden Tom Courtney is reading a tract from the bible but I believe that that passage refers to the 'mortal sin' of masturbation.

Towards the end there is one very telling scene when a British soldier arrives at the gates. He comes up against King Rat's friend (can't remember the name of the actor). You'd expect the POW to throw his arms around the soldier but, instead, turns and runs probably because he just can't take it all in.

Can't say that I picked up on the homosexuality bit. The only inference of sexual behaviour I can remember is that, in one scene, a clearly angst ridden Tom Courtney is reading a tract from the bible but I believe that that passage refers to the 'mortal sin' of masturbation.

Towards the end there is one very telling scene when a British soldier arrives at the gates. He comes up against King Rat's friend (can't remember the name of the actor). You'd expect the POW to throw his arms around the soldier but, instead, turns and runs probably because he just can't take it all in.

It's the nature of the relationship between George Segal's character and James Fox's character - especially seen through James Fox's eyes (I am not saying the relationship was "consumated").

Edited by Thomas_Merton

It's the nature of the relationship between George Segal's character and James Fox's character - especially seen through James Fox's eyes (I am not saying the relationship was "consumated").

Nope, have to disagree on that one. Perhaps what you purport to see is driven by some kind of agenda

" Mon Ruk Transistor " Thai film about a a womans love for her husband ..who tries to do good by her but fails very badly.... he ends up in prison and after many years when he gets out he goes home and she still loves him :o:D

Lots of funny things happen in between....

awwwww.... i just watched a DVD movie,

its broken my heart .... in bad way ..

scary ...never seen scary movie like this long time ago ..

"the Grudge" , remake from japanese move , Jo-On

i wanna scream... but i dont dare ..i live in apartment :D:D

bambi :o:D

post-19740-1121715760.jpg

Edited by BambinA

" Mon Ruk Transistor "  Thai film about a a womans love for her husband ..who tries to do good by her but  fails very badly.... he ends up in prison and after many years when he gets out  he goes home and she still loves him  :o  :D

Lots of funny things happen in between....

Seconded.........only recently found the VCD of the movie (song Mai Leum does it for me)

Also...........Somewhere in time.

upsetting was Old Boy, the South Korean movie that won some prizes last year.

upsetting on a crying level was "Heavy", a movie that's is about 10 years old with Liv Tyler and Evan Dando (from the Lemonheads) and the fat guy (hence the title Heavy) whose name I don't remember...

The only film that ever brought tears to my eyes was "Field of Dreams" with Kevin Costner. The scene at the end where he plays catch with his dad really touched a raw nerve and brought memories of having done the same (my dad passed away 20 years ago).

Also, the final film scene of the legendary Burt Lancaster, in declining health during filming, walking off into the cornfield. "Rookie, you did good." What a fitting farewell to a great actor.

"If you build it, he will come."

Chase your dreams, maybe why many of us live in LOS.

"Field of Dreams". A Magical film.