Jean Louis Gassee Writes Fiction On Nokia

nikster

Jean Louis Gassee. Ex-Apple executive. Creator of BeOS. Hits the nail on the head for Nokia.

Science Fiction: Nokia goes Android | Monday Note

If Nokia did a large scale switch to Android, and focused its effort on design, it would become a formidable player instantly. But, they won't do it and will instead continue their slide into irrelevance.

Since 2007 (introduction of the iPhone) Nokia stock price went from $40 to... $9.

Nokia used to be dam_n good, i was a huge fan but years ago i stopped buying Nokia,i had so many problems with them, now they only have the name left, i dont know many people still buying Nokia, oohhh only the people there have never tried anything else.

Well, the good news this morning is Nokia is releasing a new smartphone with interesting specs. Bad news...its Symbian.

I just don't think Symbian can compete, Nokia needs to quit while they're behind and switch to Android.

Agree, specs are totally uninteresting if it's running Symbian... Nokia has a huge software problem. They don't seem to do anything about it, either. Now they're making laptops. Nobody knows why.

Nokia hasn't done anything innovative in *years* and its really catching up with them now.

Perhaps this is why. Came across the article while checking out the latest computer news.

Nokia says it is now a software company, not a phone manufacturer.

The company began as a rubber works in the 19th century and is well known for its extensive portfolio of mobile phones that cover a range of markets from ultra low-cost phones to high-end smartphones with the latest "must-have" technology.

While it continues that bent, the manufacturer has begun consolidating its phone fleet with only 22 models released in the first half of 2010 compared to roughly 35 in the latter half of 2009.

Asia Pacific head of marketing, Will Harris, said the company is "a business in transition".

"Our future is in software not hardware," " Harris told Computerworld Australia, adding that the company now believes it "monetises its software with hardware".

Source - PC World

Nokia says it is now a software company, not a phone manufacturer.

I'm stunned.

It's bizarre. I am waiting for actions following those words.

As long as they are not holding a public code-burning for Symbian, I don't believe it. Print out all the code on paper, delete it from all systems, then hold a public burn. Then, maybe, Nokia can start calling itself a software company.