BRT: Bangkok By Bus 'Without The Bother'

webfact

BRT: Bangkok by Bus 'Without the Bother'

Nida Tunsuttiwong

gallery_327_1086_46338.jpg

To escape Bangkok's notorious traffic woes, many commuters have found some relief by turning to the BTS skytrain and MRTA subway systems as a way of traveling more smoothly and efficiently between their homes and workplaces.

Now Bangkok residents have another transport option when it comes to getting around the city following the launch by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on May 29 of its Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) service. The idea is that this service will also encourage more people to leave their cars at home and turn to public transport in a bid to reduce transport congestion in the capital.

A Test Run

Having heard numerous negative and positive responses regarding the new service, I decided to try the BRT out for myself.

I began my journey at Chong Nonsi BTS station since this is where the BTS connects with the BRT system via a 'skywalk'. At present, the BRT is operating a pilot service until the end of the year between Sathon and Ratchapruek, which covers a distance of about 15 kilometers. Basically, if the pilot service receives a positive response from members of the public and serves to ease traffic congestion in the city, more BRT routes are likely to follow over the next couple of years.

Initially, the service is free (until August 31, 2010), then from September 1, there will be a flat rate of 10 baht (US$0.30) through until the end of the year. Progressive rates will then be applied, ranging from 12-20 baht (depending on the distance traveled), starting from January 2, 2011.

Regular Departures

On receiving a free ticket and a handbook regarding the system at the BRT station at Sathon, I head towards the air-conditioned platform area and wait for the next bus to arrive.

During peak periods (specific times yet to be confirmed), a BRT bus will depart the station every five minutes. During the off peak period, the frequency drops to one bus every 10 minutes.

The BRT station's air-conditioned platform features sliding glass doors, which are similar to the ones you may have seen on the MRT subway system. It also features a large, widescreen television, which runs reports on the whereabouts of each member of the fleet and provides an estimated time of arrival (ETA).

There's also a similar TV set on board each bus, which regularly reports on its specific location.

Room to Move

Although the BRT buses resemble regular air-conditioned buses, some people have begun to call the vehicles 'yellow buses'. While they may look similar, the interior of the BRT bus differs quite markedly. For a start, there are far fewer seats than on an ordinary air-con bus, while the driver gets his own dedicated cabin space. With fewer seats, the buses seem to be far roomier and they even have an area where people with disabilities can safely secure their wheelchairs.

Since the BRT buses run along their own dedicated bus lane, in general they can cruise at a fairly reasonable speed. Nevertheless, since the route passes through busy downtown areas, the driver was sometimes forced to stop at traffic lights, while I also spotted several cars and motorcycles infringe upon the BRT bus' lane, particularly when the vehicle was crossing a bridge. Such concerns would surely have a negative effect upon the bus' progress during rush-hour periods.

On hearing that the BRT stations would be located within a central reservation, I was initially concerned as to whether or not this would be practical for elderly passengers. Since elevators have been fitted at every station, though, I personally believe that they should be able to manage just fine. Moreover, since the platform is at the same level as the entrance to the bus, it's easy for everyone to get on or off.

The bus lane where the station is located is extremely narrow, so the driver needs to park as near to the station as possible – I would estimate this distance is about 15 centimeters. Because of this factor, the driver has to be careful and approach the station very slowly.

Cautiously Optimistic

The journey from Sathon station via the BRT service to the final stop on Ratchapruek Road took less than an hour and I have to say that, in general, I was reasonably satisfied with the service.

If I compare the service with the regular bus route that I use, I think the BRT comes out on top in almost every category. I was particularly impressed to see a security guard at every station on the BRT route, while getting on and off is also easier when using the BRT service as on my regular bus route I am often forced to get on or off in the second or third lane of traffic, which can be quite hazardous. That said, many motorists would likely disagree since they may feel that the BRT has stolen a valuable lane from them and they may even argue that it could make the traffic congestion worse.

In order to meet the needs of commuters who use the bus and motorists, the BMA needs to plan carefully when choosing its subsequent routes for the BRT bus service. In terms of the reaction on the Web, many folks seem to suggest that the BRT service is an excellent choice for commuters living in the suburbs, where there may be up to eight or 10 lanes and far fewer intersections than you find in the center of the city. From this perspective, the service will certainly help residents of the suburbs to reach downtown Bangkok more easily.

Since the construction of the BRT is far cheaper than the costs involved in extending electric train services, I think the BRT, with the assistance of good planning and management, offers great potential in helping to relieve the capital's notorious traffic jams over the long term.

Certainly the BMA appears to be taking an optimistic approach, having established a master plan that targets the establishment of 14 BRT routes in Bangkok by 2022, as follows:

1. Sathorn-Ratchapruek

2. Mochit-Civil Service Complex –Nonthaburi

3. Sathorn-Prachauthit

4. Don Muang-Minburi-Suvarnabhumi

5. Minburi-Srinagarindra-Samrong

6. Bang Na-Suvarnabhumi

7. Ram Indra-Pradit Manudham-Ekkamai

8. Phahon Yothin-Rattanakosin Somphod

9. Ratchapriek-Prannok-Phutthamonthon Sai 4

10. Suksawad-Rama II

11. Phahonyothin-Rangsit

12. Sukhaphiban 1-Lad Phrao

13. Onnut-Suvarnabhumi, and;

14. Rattanathibet-Ratchapruek

For further information regarding the BRT, pay a visit to the official website at http://www.bangkokbrt.com.

Transport Connections:

Train: The BRT connects with the BTS skytrain system at Chong Nonsi station.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-06-23

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Nice report,pity that during peak hours car drivers frequently use the BRT lanes and as usual there is no enforcement. Also, the link doesn't work.

Nice report,pity that during peak hours car drivers frequently use the BRT lanes and as usual there is no enforcement. Also, the link doesn't work.

Cars with 3 or more occupants ("HOV"...high occupancy vehicles) are allowed to use the BRT lane. When the service was launched it was reported that vehicles with less than 3 occupants would face fines after the first month of BRT operation.

Cars with 3 or more occupants ("HOV"...high occupancy vehicles) are allowed to use the BRT lane. When the service was launched it was reported that vehicles with less than 3 occupants would face fines after the first month of BRT operation.

The problem is that it wont be enforced like most normal traffic laws in Thailand. Just look at the taxis and other vehicules waiting everywhere even if its not allowed.

"With fewer seats, the buses seem to be far roomier and they even have an area where people with disabilities can safely secure their wheelchairs."

"On hearing that the BRT stations would be located within a central reservation, I was initially concerned as to whether or not this would be practical for elderly passengers. Since elevators have been fitted at every station, though, I personally believe that they should be able to manage just fine. Moreover, since the platform is at the same level as the entrance to the bus, it's easy for everyone to get on or off."

A question: Are there ELEVATORS (LIFTS) to the stations, or escalators (with steps at the bottom). All of my research on the net indicates that the platforms ARE NOT accessible to wheelchairs.

As it stands now on Narathiwas, which already had terrible rush hour traffic, they have taken 1/3 of the road space and devoted it to a bus lane that is virtually empty. They also added u-turn stop lights that further compounds the traffic situation. What was a 30-minute trip by car is pushed up to over an hour. All this to serve a very small minority of the commuters who will take the bus.

The whole idea is ridiculous. I'm all for public mass transportation, but this BRT idea is a major cock up. They should have made it an elevated train so as not to further overburden heavily trafficked roads by removing lanes. The current BRT system leaves one whole lane on in either direction virtually empty as the buses only run every 5 minutes.

Edited by way2muchcoffee
  • Like 1

As it stands now on Narathiwas, which already had terrible rush hour traffic, they have taken 1/3 of the road space and devoted it to a bus lane that is virtually empty.  They also added u-turn stop lights that further compounds the traffic situation.  What was a 30-minute trip by car is pushed up to over an hour.  All this to serve a very small minority of the commuters who will take the bus.  

The whole idea is ridiculous.  I'm all for public mass transportation, but this BRT idea is a major cock up.  They should have made it an elevated train so as not to further overburden heavily trafficked roads by removing lanes.  The current BRT system leaves one whole lane on in either direction virtually empty as the buses only run every 5 minutes.

IMO, these things were really never going to fly. How can you expect the rich and not so famous to sit in their Mercs and Beamers in gridlock while BRT passengers zoom by? Unacceptable and the resulting lack of enforcement of BRT lanes is proof that the extended hand is mightier than the badge.

Not all bad news though. Normal hi-so-not office folk no longer have to sit in the ordinary Air Con buses with the masses.

As it stands now on Narathiwas, which already had terrible rush hour traffic, they have taken 1/3 of the road space and devoted it to a bus lane that is virtually empty. They also added u-turn stop lights that further compounds the traffic situation. What was a 30-minute trip by car is pushed up to over an hour. All this to serve a very small minority of the commuters who will take the bus.

The whole idea is ridiculous. I'm all for public mass transportation, but this BRT idea is a major cock up. They should have made it an elevated train so as not to further overburden heavily trafficked roads by removing lanes. The current BRT system leaves one whole lane on in either direction virtually empty as the buses only run every 5 minutes.

I agree. Better to spend the money on underground or elevated railway.

• Like 1