What Can You Hide Behind A Smile?

Loz

I have seen so much behind the smiles that this land is host to. I wonder what other experiences I have yet in store.

Thankfully I have never rented a wife so I have missed out on the "you mug, you just gave away a house" Smile

But I have still to deal with them on a daily basis.

How about the, "sure you can be my customer as long as there are no Thai ones about but be sure to EFF off when they arrive" smile

and the "I know it says Cheddar, but cheese slices are made of cheddar right?" smile

and the "I know you asked me in thai but I don't want to loose face so best just to say, 'no have'" smile.

Then there is the "what did you just say!!! mo fo, did you speak thai after I just slagged off farangs" smile

and the "why would I sell it to you as the same price as my fellow countyman? you idiot" smile

lets not forget the "no, you pay first :ph34r: " Smile.

and the "yes you can change it if its wrong (when hel_l freezes over!!)" smile

Everyone loves a smile. Its the international language of kindliness. :)

So what smiles will you share with us in this thread. We could make a list and play a game when on a road trip. how many smiles can you clock before we get to the beach type thing...

Let her rip! :D

austin_powers_mike_myers_as_dr_evil.jpg

Edited by Loz

How about the

"I bet this topic is closed in less than 8 replies" smile :D

Funny. How about the "let me bash the Thai's again, but this time, I'll cloak it in humor so everyone loves me" smile. But then forget to include the "humor" part.

There are too many types of smiles to list them all. But, It's fairly easy to read the phoney ones. I have a smile that scares the begeezus out of people. It's a smile that says I'm going to cut your heart out and feed it to my dog. It's all in the eyes. Unfortunately, people believe what they want to believe and not what they are actually seeing.

Yes,

Its not the truth that sets you free. It's the surge of great big jet engines lifting off the tarmac.

But bad mood aside.

What about the happy smiles.

The "My teacher is a bit mental but I don't need to say it" smile

the "My teacher is doesn't know I have no idea what he's saying but will let him finish because he seems to think it matters" Smile

The "we don't normally wash underwear but don't know how to tell you" smile

The "I wish my kid didn't just reveal that we think its okay to call you ni.gg.er in the supper market" Smile

The "It sounded like you said you are from ENgland, but that's bullsh7t because you CLEARLY have black skin!" smile..

:annoyed:

Thank you, Endure!

(the following is from the website above)

Travel brochures often portrays Thailand as the happy-go-lucky 'Land of Smiles', an impression the Tourism Authority of Thailand are more than happy to go along with. Most visitors will even see a sign welcoming them to the 'Land of Smile' (sic) in the airport before they've even cleared immigration. Though the famous Thai smile is not so common in Bangkok nowadays, you'll certainly understand why this slogan has stuck for so long if you spend any length of time in the more rural parts of Thailand. Even in Bangkok, you can smile at any Thai person and it's pretty rare you won't get a smile back in return.

New visitors often assume that the Thais are a very friendly and happy people, but this is a bit of an oversimplification. After all, many of the Thais they meet may well be working long hours in relatively menial jobs and earning less than $200 a month - do they really have so much to smile about ?

The reason is there's a much broader range of uses for smiling in Thailand, some of which would be considered as inappropriate or even as rude in the west. For example, if a Thai bumps into you in a bar and spills some of your drink, he'll probably smile - a reaction that is unlikely to go down well with the average foreigner.

But the smile (yim in Thai) is perceived in Thailand as being just about the most appropriate reaction to any possible situation. It's used to show happiness, embarrassment, fear, tension, resignation, remorse etc...What the smile means depends on the 'type' being used - out of a possible 13.

thaismile.gif

So you can't necessarily assume that anyone smiling is happy or friendly, because, as shown above, there are also a few less pleasant reasons for them to do so. Similarly it helps to know, for instance, that people smiling if you happen to trip up may not actually be laughing at you (yim yor), but just giving you a yim yair-yair to try and stop you feeling embarrassed.

Obviously, being able to distinguish one type of smile from another is no easy task for the average visitor to Thailand. It helps to be aware of the less pleasant varieties though and not, as many visitors do, get so mesmerized by the 'happiness' of everyone that you don't see what's really going on underneath the sometimes superficial smile.

Edited by Loz
  • Like 1

Hey OP,

Intersting and educating table of smiles,with the thai words, thanks for that.

Just one thing though, since you are now the TV expert on smiles :) ,

I have asked this question a few times in different threads...

If you are walking down the street anywhere in suburban BK, where there are very few (if any) farang, and get nods and smiles from random people for no apparent reason..what is the meaning (or as you might say-motive) behind this smile??

Doesnt seem like these passing by folk will ever stand to gain anything from you, so i am just wondering which category it fits into?

No-one on TV seems to be able to offer an explanation other than to offer a comment that im some sort of thai apologist

Hey OP,

If you are walking down the street anywhere in suburban BK, where there are very few (if any) farang,  and get nods and smiles from random people for no apparent reason..what is the meaning (or as you might say-motive) behind this smile??

Doesnt seem like these passing by folk will ever stand to gain anything from you, so i am just wondering which category it fits into?

No-one on TV seems to be able to offer an explanation other than to offer a comment that im some sort of thai apologist

Interesting I had to attend a funeral of friend last week at that big wat up near Ekkamai Bus Station. Long story short they have many places inside for funerals. I went to the wrong room by accident. No bloody smile just a rude, CAN I HELP YOU.

Wasn't expecting a smile at a funeral but wasn't expecting to be more or less told off.

When you learn some of the language you will understand that although they may give you a smile up front, what they say about you when you walk past is often another thing.

Anyways carry on.

Sounds like the "Yim Tak Tai" - polite smile for strangers.

Hope that helps and glad you also found that article interesting.

Fair enough!!

If you pay attention to certain posters you could be forgiven for believing that the "polite smile for strangers" is only reserved for thai on thai situations!....such they believe that all Thais hate us :rolleyes:

But yeh, great find with the table, since it has the thai script i will await with some concealed glee for the GF's reaction.

She is far from hating us all (yet) but she is starting to think we are all a little paranoid and tingtong:lol:

Hey OP,

If you are walking down the street anywhere in suburban BK, where there are very few (if any) farang, and get nods and smiles from random people for no apparent reason..what is the meaning (or as you might say-motive) behind this smile??

Interesting I had to attend a funeral of friend last week at that big wat up near Ekkamai Bus Station. Long story short they have many places inside for funerals. I went to the wrong room by accident. No bloody smile just a rude, CAN I HELP YOU.

Wasn't expecting a smile at a funeral but wasn't expecting to be more or less told off.

When you learn some of the language you will understand that although they may give you a smile up front, what they say about you when you walk past is often another thing.

Anyways carry on.

Duely noted Jim, but we should also consider how Asian passers by in many of our own countries are not even afforded a fake smile

And more often than not our own countrymen do NOT wait for the foriegn person to walk past before venting their spleen!

As for your incident at the funeral, maybe some monks were present at the time? or giving prayer?

I understand that although your reception might have been abrupt, IME sometimes Thais are a little private and self conscious in regards to those sorts of ceremonies, and hence their discomfort at the way a farang might perceive them.

Still mate, you've been around a lot longer than me..just my opinion

I'm interested to know your reply..

If you had of said yes, would they have cremated you :lol:

Hey OP,

If you are walking down the street anywhere in suburban BK, where there are very few (if any) farang,  and get nods and smiles from random people for no apparent reason..what is the meaning (or as you might say-motive) behind this smile??

Anyways carry on.

Duely noted Jim, but we should also consider how Asian passers by in many of our own countries are not even afforded a fake smile

And more often than not our own countrymen do NOT wait for the foriegn person to walk past before venting their spleen!

As for your incident at the funeral, maybe some monks were present at the time? or giving prayer?

I understand that although your reception might have been abrupt, IME sometimes Thais are a little private and self conscious in regards to those sorts of ceremonies, and hence their discomfort at the way a farang might perceive them.

Still mate, you've been around a lot longer than me..just my opinion

Regarding the funeral, I never made it inside but through the glass people were just sitting around - no monks around, some people were outside snacking. I didn't barge in or anything cause I didnt recognize anyone - just sort of stood outside looking lost, some lady ( i will give her the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances) was very terse with her question.

On the flip side,it astounds me how QUICKLY that smile can be turned upside down..if the tip IS'NT as much as expected by recipient..

Especially in certain circumstances ( of which i've only read about) :whistling:

I best go now, time to ask language forum how to speak thai:......"turn that frown upside down, 20 baht is better than nothing"B)

How many smiles do you have?

I like to collect smiles, but I seem to lose them so quickly, I'm always glad to get more.

I quite like the "I'm going to pull out a machete and chop you into bits if you don't learn some manners and stop jabbing yuour finger at me" smile, which is a bit like the "Calm down, mate, its not such a big deal, don't get so worked up" smile. Discretion being the better part of valour, I treat them both the same, anyway

SC

This thread started off poorly and was due for a quick closure, but subsequent posts have brought it more in line with TV posting regs. Keep in this vein and the thread may remain open. But please don't devolve this into a Thai slagfest.

Thanks.

Thanks for the list. I didn't realize that Thais have separate categories for the different smiles, but it does make sense.

I'm most familiar with yim tak tai smile...

Or, the one that says "If I smile at him like this maybe I'll keep him on the hook long enough for him to give me something"

There is also the other smile that is almost a laugh, and says we are all having a good time here.

I think you totally missed the point, Superstarstatus. It was meant as a light hearted thread for a few laughs, or smiles; not a dreary, serious thread knocking Thai people. I can't understand why everyone wants to take every post as something serious when most of us just want to have a little fun. I'm constantly amazed by people who take a tongue in cheek remark and think it is something serious.

On the flip side,it astounds me how QUICKLY that smile can be turned upside down..if the tip IS'NT as much as expected by recipient..

Wait, what? I was under the impression that tipping is not really done here. I think I have only tipped a couple of times, when people have gone past their job description. Like keeping a bar open just so we can play pool and things like that.

When am I supposed to be tipping?

I think you totally missed the point, Superstarstatus. It was meant as a light hearted thread for a few laughs, or smiles; not a dreary, serious thread knocking Thai people. I can't understand why everyone wants to take every post as something serious when most of us just want to have a little fun. I'm constantly amazed by people who take a tongue in cheek remark and think it is something serious.

A little like a chocolate coated pill?

There's a (possibly) apocryphal story about a Thai student in a London pub who picks up and drinks the wrong pint glass. When challenged he does what any Thai would do - he smiles. He gets smacked in the face.

It's very dangerous to assume that what is appropriate in your country is appropriate elsewhere in the world.