Cheerful Charlies F&C Is For Sale!

ginnyten

The way I read Sassienie's comment was that there is only one business and that the business is moving to a better location, but at the same time if Charlie had an offer for the business he would sell. Clarification needed.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is confusiing if you want it to be..... as I read it......Charlie is closing at his present location. Charlie wants to sell. Charlie will be opening at a new location next week. If Charlie gets a buyer, he will sell the business which will be at the new location if he sells after next week...

Seems simple to me,,,,,,, but then again I am a simle kind of guy....

Best of luck Charlie, in both the new business location and/or the sale...

G

Edited by ThePunPun

The way I read Sassienie's comment was that there is only one business and that the business is moving to a better location, but at the same time if Charlie had an offer for the business he would sell. Clarification needed.

Yes.

Charlie is not expanding, only changing to a better premises and if he sells his company, the new owners can still run the restaurant under the successful name of Cheerful Charlie`s fish and chips restaurant.

Charlie is getting on in years and he does have health problems. If anyone takes over Cheerful charlie`s restaurant he will call it a day and retire.

Charlie is not very good with computers and has asked me to explain things on line. Otherwise if you want to know more, it`s best that you visit Charlie at his restaurant or phone him. Charlie can explain much better.

Edited by sassienie

It is confusiing if you want it to be..... as I read it......Charlie is closing at his present location. Charlie wants to sell. Charlie will be opening at a new location next week. If Charlie gets a buyer, he will sell the business which will be at the new location if he sells after next week...

G

I'm reading it the same way, that the new location is the one for sale. Good to get that clarified. Good luck in the new location and it might be a good business for someone to buy in that case.

I had dinner at Charlie's Friday night, and everything was just the same. He is hoping to sell, but the most important thing to know at the moment is that he's moving down near the Duangtawan this week, and hopes to be open for business Wednesday night. Don't go looking for fish and chips on Tapae Soi 3!

If he is selling Cheerful Charlie's Internationally famous fish and chip shop, what will his new venture , 500 metres around the corner be? Cheerful Charlie's Bangers n Mash?

Who was 'Cheerful Charlie' that the place was named after? A movie/TV character?

I believe the man's name is Charlie, and he's staying with the fish and chips.

he should get the price right if he wants to sell quick. if its the same place that i heard about the 2m baht pub/restaurant thats on tv was 3.5m and started off at 6m. 

how many pubs/bars restaurants for sale right now

correction. the 2m baht pub for sale on tv isn't the same as the pub that's for sale at 3.5m. 

thats 2 pubs and 2 chippies for sale at the moment in chiang mai. where are the brits goin' if theyre not coming here? fact - tourism is well down in chiang mai and theres the proof.

Who was 'Cheerful Charlie' that the place was named after? A movie/TV character?

I believe the man's name is Charlie, and he's staying with the fish and chips.

you've lost me there, son. there was a guy in a movie called cheerful charlie, and theres also a guy who stays at the chippy called charlie and theres another guy who owns the chippy is a charlie. is that right?

what's the name of the movie. i googled it but no results.

update. found it , it was a childrens book by cynthia ryder (never heard of him) . i think i googled cheap charlie.

Edited by november222

I've still never been. I drive down Chang Moi road regularly and haven't seen piggies open for a while either. I'm sure there are expats that enjoy the occasional plate of English-style fish and chips, but to build a whole business around this tiny demand is a bit daft IMO.

Piggies is open every time i go there !

you cant be fussy about what you eat or it cheap price?

I've still never been. I drive down Chang Moi road regularly and haven't seen piggies open for a while either. I'm sure there are expats that enjoy the occasional plate of English-style fish and chips, but to build a whole business around this tiny demand is a bit daft IMO.

I think the rivalry between Cheerful Charlie's fans and Piggy's fans is alomost as bad as England & Germany fans.

No live and let live in either case. I think it goes back to the big Fish & chips debate, with tales of vote-rigging and manipulation , as if it matters other than something to put in your ads. Talking of which, I see Charlies has been voted the best restaurant in Chiang Mai - Tripadvisor

No-one seems to see the glaringly obvious - different people have different tastes.

Edited by twofortheroad

Iv'e been to both and just happen to prefer Piggies fish and chips, if i want to talk about the weather with the older fraternity i go to Charlies:o .

I think the rivalry between Cheerful Charlie's fans and Piggy's fans is almost as bad as England & Germany fans.

No live and let live in either case. I think it goes back to the big Fish & chips debate, with tales of vote-rigging and manipulation , as if it matters other than something to put in your ads. Talking of which, I see Charlies has been voted the best restaurant in Chiang Mai - Tripadvisor

No-one seems to see the glaringly obvious - different people have different tastes.

For me personally, my dislike of Germans is also relevant to this post - they bombed our chippy. :huh:

Edited by twofortheroad

I think the rivalry between Cheerful Charlie's fans and Piggy's fans is almost as bad as England & Germany fans.

For me personally, my dislike of Germans is also relevant to this post - they bombed our chippy. :huh:

Was that the Fokers that did that lad?

Yer right he will still be trying to sell in 2 years time if he is still on a lease... otherwise maybe he having Landlord issues 'Key money' time like many have when lease up for renewal.

Most Thai landlords see dollar signs come renewal time and seem to think they can resell the business. If he does not sell, he will strip it bare and it will be useless to the Landlords.

In these times most Landlords should be doing everything they can to retain good commercial tenants- does not seem to happen in CMai for some reason.

Anyway I hope he does make a dollar out of the sale. Most do not...

Changing owners can be complicated and not allowed in many leases- will require a pay off. If the biz was totally reliant on the people skills of the biz owner then i doubt another can step into his shoes...

Hard times probably took its toll and landlords are not usually willing to renegoitate.

G

"It is confusiing if you want it to be.."

I don't agree. many posts were ambivalent and it needed clarification, thanks sassienie for more clarity and glad charlie is no selling then opening up in competition.

And best wishes to charlie in his retirement.

Charlie's business is still thriving and is not done yet.

He planned to move to a better location with more parking and better faculties, which he will do next week.

Since the start of this project, Charlie has suffered health problems and although he is still as cheerful as ever and not desperate to sell his business, I think he would prefer to retire and call it a day.

Charlie will continue on as normal in the new premises, but if he can sell the company Charlie will retire and leave it to the new owners.

Thriving ? :whistling:

I dont think any business in Chiang Mai can be considered thriving I have eaten at Charlies and never seen more than 1 other person in there when I was in there that cant be considered thriving.

As everyone knows its dead as a Do Do in Chiang Mai and I don't think there is enough biz for anyone to have a thriving business, while Charlie may have the name once he is gone so is the name so you might as well just start your won Chippie and take the loss rather than buy someone elses name.

If I was considering buying I would sit there for a month and really see just how thriving his business really is, I doubt it takes 1500 baht a day if that on average

I think the rivalry between Cheerful Charlie's fans and Piggy's fans is alomost as bad as England & Germany fans.

No live and let live in either case. I think it goes back to the big Fish & chips debate, with tales of vote-rigging and manipulation , as if it matters other than something to put in your ads. Talking of which, I see Charlies has been voted the best restaurant in Chiang Mai -  Tripadvisor 

I agree but there are differences in price and quality too. Piggys uses beer batter and arguably better value, Charlies did not. But for the older guys I can see why Charlies was popular.

A littl bit of live and let live would have been more welcome as you say.

He planned to move to a better location with more parking and better faculties, which he will do next week.

Since the start of this project, Charlie has suffered health problems and although he is still as cheerful as ever and not desperate to sell his business, I think he would prefer to retire and call it a day.

Charlie will continue on as normal in the new premises, but if he can sell the company Charlie will retire and leave it to the new owners.

I dont think any business in Chiang Mai can be considered thriving I have eaten at Charlies and never seen more than 1 other person in there when I was in there that cant be considered thriving.

As everyone knows its dead as a Do Do in Chiang Mai and I don't think there is enough biz for anyone to have a thriving business, while Charlie may have the name once he is gone so is the name so you might as well just start your won Chippie and take the loss rather than buy someone elses name.

If I was considering buying I would sit there for a month and really see just how thriving his business really is, I doubt it takes 1500 baht a day if that on average

1500 baht a day::o . That's more than most bars are doing for a week.:lol: Quick better buy it before someone beats you to it.

Edited by gotlost

1500 baht a day::o . That's more than most bars are doing for a week.:lol: Quick better buy it before someone beats you to it.

I can see your a bit slow so Ill break it down for you

I said on average, that means over a month and if you dont agree the you actually do agree that its not a thriving business as at his prices that is only 7 customers a day

7 customers a day.:o I know bars that would kill for those numbers:lol:.

I used to say that you could generally tell how busy a pub or restaurant was from the photo in the ad. If it was of the owner and staff sitting there, or the magazine owner and her assistant then it probably wasn't a busy place. Welcome to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai mag was always full of those photos, with either Margaret or her husband posing as 'customers'. :rolleyes:

The Grand Re-opening tomorrow would be a good photo opportunity.

Edited by twofortheroad

I have heard this is a fine place but never been myself. In my opinion, this is either not a good city for farang businesses, or perhaps just a bad time in general due to the economic situation. However, I believe farang type restaurants and businesses in Vientiane, which is a similar city to Chiang Mai in my view, are still doing fairly well, all things considered. It seems there are areas of Chiang Mai with comparatively affluent Thai people, so perhaps business in these areas which caters to Thai as well as farang would be good idea. Perhaps if restaurant which specialize in fish and chips but also Thai food would make a go. Just a thought but perhaps this is already the case somewhere but I am just not aware of it, as I am new to the area. Anyway good luck to Mr. Charlie and his restaurant.

Charlie opens his new restaurant tomorrow.

For those of you who would like to visit Charlie, below is his restaurant`s new location map.

I have created this map because many of Charlie`s friends and Farang residents of Chiang Mai are very fond of Charlie, last of the great charactors still left in the area and lots of people have shown interest and do not want to lose contact with him.

If anyone considers this as promoting, fine, I understand, go ahead and delete the map, but this is not the intention.

post-11344-089623500 1277893378_thumb.jp

Charlie opens his new restaurant tomorrow.

For those of you who would like to visit Charlie, below is his restaurant`s new location map.

I have created this map because many of Charlie`s friends and Farang residents of Chiang Mai are very fond of Charlie, last of the great charactors still left in the area and lots of people have shown interest and do not want to lose contact with him.

If anyone considers this as promoting, fine, I understand, go ahead and delete the map, but this is not the intention.

Are we talking the food court section in back of the Night Bazaar?

It looks like it's in the same soi as the gay bars (and Foxy Lady) behind D2 Hotel. Just before the gay bars is a car park and a line of small restaurants. Coming up Loi Kroh Rd, take the last left turn just before the Night Bazaar (Changklan Rd). Or for the Irish amongst us, turn left just after where the 7-11 used to be, opposite Centara Duang Tawan Hotel.

Edited by twofortheroad

It looks like it's in the same soi as the gay bars (and Foxy Lady) behind D2 Hotel. Just before the gay bars is a car park and a line of small restaurants. Coming up Loi Kroh Rd, take the last left turn just before the Night Bazaar (Changklan Rd). Or for the Irish amongst us, turn left just after where the 7-11 used to be, opposite Centara Duang Tawan Hotel.

I'm very aware of the area. The food court area has only been there for 3 years and every food business has closed. The only one that was semi open was in the very front. I'm sure CC has his reasons for moving to this location and I wish him nothing but the best but IMHO I have grave reservations about this location.

I can see what you are saying, but if CC could thrive in his former location, this has to be  a step up. There is so much more foot traffic behind the Night Bazaar and all the expats that frequent his place do not have to move very far. I just wish that he was open during the late evening when I get off work as I have wanted to try the place forever.

Are their new opening hours as it is a busier area?

I can see what you are saying, but if CC could thrive in his former location, this has to be a step up. There is so much more foot traffic behind the Night Bazaar and all the expats that frequent his place do not have to move very far. I just wish that he was open during the late evening when I get off work as I have wanted to try the place forever.

Are their new opening hours as it is a busier area?

The only foot traffic behind the NB on that Soi are the punters going and coming from Foxy Lady.:lol: Maybe CC can work out a deal with FL:whistling:

Edited by gotlost