First Concert?

Spee

Slade at Wembley Area circa 1975 - I remember wearing cut off velvet jeans with silver platform boots and having to leave halfway to throw up outside after mixing half a sleeping pill and beer, it was the in thing at the time.

ABBA "Dancing Queen" age 12 ..... WOOHOO!!!!! Sydney Stadium. My Mum was sooooo worried I had to remind her itwas ABBA not ACDC :o

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first concert was Rosetta Stone in Bangkok (in Dusit Thani Hotel), sometime late 70's or early 80's. Next concert was David Bowie when 'Let's Dance' was a big hit, around '83 - '84, at Army Stadium near Din Daeng.

"America," of "Horse with No Name" fame, University of Notre Dame, 1975 with my high school sweetheart--a beautiful little chickie who now no doubt weighs 400 pounds, has eight kids and lives in a trailer with a guy who works nights at the chicken plant.

God, how embarrassing! The Knack (of 'My Sharona' fame) in 1980, maybe 1979? .

Much later I went to the Police on their final concert tour, seen U2 a few times, did actually go to an AC/DC concert, and saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar in Santa Cruz, CA before they hit the big time.

Also saw a show in Santa Cruz that was well, interesting, if not entertaining. (lived there before housing prices drove us middle-class people out of town) Went to a house party on Halloween, later told my more musically-literate friend about the loud and annoying band called the Meat Puppets that played there. If I would have known they were such a big deal, I would have tried to enjoy it more.

My mom was a big Beach Boys fan- she took me to see them for the first time in the early 70's at the PNE Coliseum when I was 5. We saw them every time they came to town- 5 times over the years.

First concert that I chose myself and went with friends was Blue Oyster Cult. Same venue- many years later.

Black Sabbath, Hull City Hall, either in 1970 or 1971. They were terrible, just a wall of noise, my ears rang for days after.'Paranoid' was the only good song they did. My friend, Henry Priestman, was there too, he later formed The Christians and became a star for a few years. I remember being exceedingly envious because he had long hair, being at Leighton Park school, a Quaker institution they were very liberal.

Wasn't it Black Sabbath who invented the phrase: 'Too old to rock too young to die'?

Edited by bannork

My first concert was Michael Learns to Rock with my girlfriend in Bangkok a couple of years ago. I'm 58 years old and feel like I really missed out on seeing concerts over the years. Most of the musicians everyone mentions here I've never heard of before.

God, how embarrassing! The Knack (of 'My Sharona' fame) in 1980, maybe 1979? . 

It was the number one song when I was born: September 26, 1979. It had knocked off Chick's Good Times, the last number one disco hit. I was number one for about three weeks. I'm sure it was still popular in 1980.

• 2 weeks later...

7/7/70 - Bill Graham's Fillmore East at Tanglewood (Lenox, MA U.S.A.), box seats inside the shed. The Who played many songs from "Tommy" and Pete Townshend trashed a guitar or three along with a few amps. Evidently someone audio and video taped some or all of this concert as the Jethro Tull and Who tracks are readily available, according to a quick Google search.

It's a Beautiful Day

Jethro Tull

The Who

Original Poster

7/7/70 Tanglewood Music Shed, Lenox, MA: Heaven And ######, I Can't Explain, Water, I Don't Even Know Myself, Young Man Blues, Overture, It's A Boy, 1921, Amazing Journey, Sparks, Eyesight To The Blind (The Hawker), Christmas, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright?, Fiddle About, Tommy Can You Hear Me?, There's A Doctor, Go To The Mirror!, Smash The Mirror, Miracle Cure, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, We're Not Gonna Take It!, My Generation, See Me, Feel Me. "Heaven And ######," "I Can't Explain," and "Water" can be seen on the home video release Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Live

Hawkwind at Wolverhampton town Hall. Was more interested in the dancer stripping off behind the speaker stack.  :D After that anyone and everyone until I'd seen all the major groups and they opened the NEC. Couldn't stand sitting at the back of an enormous hall.

Veritas

First one for me was Led Zeppelin at Knebworth,I went with my Dad,sister and her then boyfriend,now Husband.I was 14.

Saw some great bands in Wolverhampton.inc.

Hawkwind (wasted on mushrooms :o

Motorhead

AC/DC

Saxon

Tina Turner

Stranglers

Robert Plant

The Jam

UFO

David Bowie (Tin Machine)

Big Country

The Police

The Scorpions

Gary Numan

Great times.

• 2 weeks later...

First one for me was Caravan at the Apollo in Manchester - about 1976ish

Since then a bit of all sorts:

Whitesnake

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Wishbone Ash

Genesis

Pink Floyd

Twisted Sister

Dire Straits

Bruce Springsteen

Doctor Feelgood

Jethro Tull

Alice Cooper

Hawkwind

Gillan

XTC - spent the night hitchhiking from Sheffield to Huddersfield after that one

Deep Purple ( Knebworth 1985), also on the bill that day was Meatloaf with a broken leg in a special splint, Mountain, Girlschool - the weather was bloody awful and by the end of the day people were removing toilet doors to make fires. Girls went to pee in pairs, to make sure the door didn't get nicked while they were on the pot !!!!

Live Aid - Wembley 1985 bill too long to list but an awesome day

Also spent a year or so working for ( mixing) a local reggae band from Huddersfield called Jab Jab. We supported some cracking reggae guys - Clint Eastwood & General Saint, Bo Diddley - fun times

Theres nothing to beat live music, and if any of you are in Pattaya get down to Hot Tuna on walking street - a cracking local band will play requests from all or most of the above bands. Give 'em your support.

Big, outdoor concert in San Diego, California.

It featured the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, the Dartells, April Stevens and Nino Tempo, plus a bunch more surf and R&B headliners.

I think it cost around $3!

Talk about old.......

My first one was in Sheffield it was Cradle Of Filth. Hate the band now. This is the funny part, I was going through a gothic stage. I wore a black mini skirt, knee high red and black socks, heels, black see through top, gothic makeup with bright red lipstick black eyes and white skin and a red glove on my left hand....I thought it was cool :o

Generation X (Billy Idol - lead singer) and the following day Tubes (White punks on dope Tour) circa 1977. The tubes were outrageous and caused quite a stir at the time, and I remember (14 at the time) at being shocked, no doubt they would be clssed as quite tame now. Gen X were brilliant

Cream, Fillmore Auditorium (the original), San Francisco, September 1967. $3.00 and two other forgotten bands on the bill.

Prior to I had seen Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, Paul Butterfield and others but in small clubs.

Edited by johnnyk