Limit To Exchanging Money

ChiangMaiFun

As most of us know who live here the best rates for changing money is at the shop opposite Hotshot - does anyone know if there is a limit?

Iin other words could I walk in with a million in Baht and exchange for dollars?

I would think so, but you usually need to tell them how much you want and they let you know when they have that much available.

yes... I guess I just wondered if there was a 'law' - as we know it can be difficult to get money out - this could be an alternative - i'll go ask them if no one knows or it could be done by drip, drip... change 100,000 every couple of weeks.

A lot of businesses wire large amounts of money in other currencies overseas all the time. Maybe it is not like it used to be? Try the Bangkok Bank main branch as they really know what they are doing.

I've made two substantial transfers to UK this year, to take advantage of the low pound / baht rate, leaving enough in FD for my retirement visa. I have heard of it being easy for some and others seem to have major hassles.

Years ago I tried to change 40K and they told me they had a half million bt limit in cash pp. They recommended I go to BKK Bank but their rate was poorer. Would have cost me 20K bt or more.

In a plane trip u supposedly meant to declare anything over 10K, which I did and was questioned for 2 hours. Decided not to declare anything once coming in..

I grabbed half mil, then another following day then remainder the next week. Was a little annoying as the rate headed down everyday. Then up when I had changed it- typical...