Mystery Hotels - Wotif, Latestays, Travelocity Etc.

Be VERY careful of trying to identify the WOTIF hotel. Last year they included enough of a description so that if you did a cut n' paste in Google you could identify it "breakfast in the Gondolier room or whatever, Au Bon Pain opposite" you get the picture, only one hotel could have fitted the description. Problem was that wasn't the hotel we were given, turned out to be the Admiral Suites, a craphole in my opinion that I could have got for a lot less if I had wanted to stay there. Complained but was told it was my fault for trying to identify it!

I note that they have changed it now and don't give you any information to identify it. And I certainly wouldn't count on the fact that you are going to end up where you think you might as they seem to swap the hotels around for wherever they are getting the best deal, for them not you. There are enough real bargains around this year so you don't have to risk it. Buyer beware. :realangry:

Edited by roamer

LOL exactly the same thing happened to me. I ended up in Admiral Suites in a supposedly deluxe room that smelled like sewage. I checked out early and ate the loss. I would have been better off paying more for a someplace where I knew what I was getting into.

LOL exactly the same thing happened to me. I ended up in Admiral Suites in a supposedly deluxe room that smelled like sewage. I checked out early and ate the loss. I would have been better off paying more for a someplace where I knew what I was getting into.

It's a small world ! Turned down the first 3 rooms, the one we ended up in had an a/c that never worked for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. Paid for 3 nights and checked out after one and ate the loss like yourself. It's a scam. Interesting that the OP, JaketheSnake, has only 2 posts to his credit, the 2 on this thread, how come he got the Millenium Grand Asoke for 2600 baht and we ended up in the Admiral Suites ? Do I smell a rat or a snake ? :rolleyes:

I did have a conversation with someone a couple years ago who booked a Wotif mystery room and ended up in one of those snazzy serviced apartment hotels around Soi Langsuan. So I guess it's the luck of the draw. Still, I think you're better off paying more and taking advantage of "4 for 5" specials or free upgrades. Example: a couple weeks ago I stayed at the VIE hotel in a deluxe suite with free wifi and breakfast buffet for the (discounted) price of a deluxe room, booked direct from the Accor website. Normally they charge 350 a day for the wifi (the b***rds).

Fare enough gentlemen. Jeez you're a suspicious lot..The Millenium at 2600 was outed on Flyertalk. The Kingston I found on Trip Advisor from someone who booked this month. You took a serious hosing if you paid 2600 for the Admiral. 1200 is about right. The Mystery deal is only good if you know what hotel you're going to get in advance. People who book them have this information. It's the same with Priceline, if you go to Better Bidding and Bidding for Travel you can figure out how to bid to get the hotel you want and what others paid. Good luck to all; jake

Fare enough gentlemen. Jeez you're a suspicious lot..The Millenium at 2600 was outed on Flyertalk. The Kingston I found on Trip Advisor from someone who booked this month. You took a serious hosing if you paid 2600 for the Admiral. 1200 is about right. The Mystery deal is only good if you know what hotel you're going to get in advance. People who book them have this information. It's the same with Priceline, if you go to Better Bidding and Bidding for Travel you can figure out how to bid to get the hotel you want and what others paid. Good luck to all; jake

Ok Jake, but you would be suspicious as well after an experience like that!! The point remains unchanged though, that it is the luck of the draw and not everyone has the same experience. As you said "The Mystery deal is only good if you know what hotel you're going to get in advance." You have sod all comeback if you don't end up in the same hotel Joe Bloggs did as it was after all a "mystery" hotel. I'll try your other links!

• Like 1

Found the info I needed elsewhere. I won't share it since it'll be construed as an attempt to screw you all over somehow. If you're interested, it's posted on some other forums. Good luck to all: jake

Oh Jake don't be so sensitive !! I apologise if it makes you feel better, you do get some false steers on this site and in certain circumstances you can get over suspicious types like myself questioning posters with no history. Sorry. :jap:

• 1 year later...