Motorbike Cnx To Ventiane

CobraSnakeNecktie

Was planning on flying CNX to Udon Thani but Nok Air has cancelled the CNX to UDON route yet again. Can't stand that hel_l bus ride. This time want to ride it myself the more direct northern route. Maybe go out of my way to see a few places. Just riding a honda wave.

I have heard it's not hard but looking for some route tips and in and outs of crossing the river etc.

I own my motorbike so I understand its okay to cross into Laos near Chiang Khong?

Any accounts or route advice? have seen a little info at GT Rider.

where do I get motorbike insurance for the week or so I will be there?

Going a fairly direct route then about how many km from CM to Ventiane?

Just as a matter of interest, what makes you say that Chiang Mai Udon flights have been cancelled?- I just went on SGA Airlines site and Nok Air's own site, and the route seems to me to be still available for booking!

Just as a matter of interest, what makes you say that Chiang Mai Udon flights have been cancelled?- I just went on SGA Airlines site and Nok Air's own site, and the route seems to me to be still available for booking!

I had a paid reservation for august 16 cnx to udon thani and they send me a cancellation and notice of refund. I visited the Nok Air site this morning and tried to check availability for other flights in August and for each day I entered it lists nothing available. I tried from August 1st to August 20th and they don't seem to be offering any flights.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Without wishing to appear to be blowin me own trumpet, here's a link from GT-Rider showing the trip me and a couple of mates did 2 years ago. I imagine this would be the exact route you would take CSN, with the possible exception of bouncing off the Chinese border at Boten.

Great trip, highly recommended but on a Wave??? Take plenty of Tigerbalm & painkillers for the inevitable (very) sore arse!!!

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/lucky-timing-and-good-friends-t4525.html

I've not re-read the report so can't remember if mileages were included. But I think from Chiang Mai to Vientience you're looking at about 1000KM.

Cheers,

Pikey.

nice pictures Pikey. Hmm so a Honda wave is going to be uncomfortable? because it's really bad and bumpy roads or just because its slower going with the little engine?

I routinely ride my mountain bicycle on 4 hour rides so I was thinking of breaking the trip into maybe 6 hour days with hourly rest breaks to stretch a bit. An hour on the motorbike is cake compared to an hour on a bicycle.

6 hours at 60 km per hour avg = 360 km. 3 days each way. Was thinking along those lines.

I ran into someone who did it on a small bike and he thought it was fine but am concerned maybe it's not the right bike for the job.

Any input?

I just find I get beat up a lot quicker on a smaller bike. I can do 300 - 400km days no probs on the Bonnie but less than half that on a little bike. Maybe with your pushie experience it won't be an issue for you.

I think you are being optimistic to reckon on 360km/day as some of the roads are pretty rough. My post was from 18+ months ago and I have heard that route 3 from Houay Xai to Luang Nam Tha is pretty cut up now and it may be the same with other roads if they have gone through rainy seasons without maintenance. This is why I suggest you jump over to GT-Rider and try to suss the latest news.

Incidentally, you can buy insurance in Houay Xai in one of the offices by the slipway that you fanny around in doing all the legalities.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Going a fairly direct route then about how many km from CM to Ventiane?

On a Honda Wave!

I have just done it in my car and its just shy of 900 kilometres to the Friendship Bridge

Cheers

Richard

Edited by heazille

Possibly this...

http://www.thaivisa....-udorn-flights/

Thanks for that, I must have missed it!