Schedule An Appointment Or Arrive Early And Queue?

Hi,

I have searched the forum and haven't found out this answer so appologies if someone has already answered this or similar.

My wife is applying for a tourist visa to visit the UK for our honeymoon. We postponed applying until after we were married partly because we were so busy and partly as maybe it would be easier to get a visa after marriage.

Anyway we have bought tickets leaving Bangkok on 31st July. When I go to schedule an appointment on the VFS website the nearest available date is 13th July. This seems very close to the departure date. Is it too close? I cant foresee too many problems getting the visa as we have a good case.

The question is . Do you think it would be better to fly to Bangkok ASAP and queue up? Or is it better to go to the scheduled appointment which is just 2 weeks from departure? There website says to apply 10 weeks before!! But my friends said you get the decision in 3 days! When I call them I just get a robot answer machine system thingy.

Are the queues that horrendous that we may not get seen that day? We both do not want to be away from work for too long.

Any advice really really appreciated!

Kind regards

Everydaysthesame

Sometimes appointments come up at short notice but as you have to travel to Bangkok to submit the application I would personally travel asap, pick up a queue ticket and wait, pretty sure you will not have to wait too long. At least that way you stand a fighting chance of getting the the visa processed in time for your planned honeymoon.

From this post by chiang mai in another topic

Got to the VFS office at 07:45 and there was already about twenty five people sat waiting, more than a few of them were Agents reserving places in line for their clients who showed up later - the partner of the Applicant is not allowed to accompany the Applicant into the VFS offices.

Got ticket number 12 and was all done by 09:45, pretty quick really

Processing times vary according to demand, the UKVAC Guide to Processing Times currently says that most applications are processed within 15 days. The actual processing times for visit applications made in Bangkok for May (the latest figures available) show that 89% of decisions were made within 3 days and 99% within 15 days (see here). Remember, though, that past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

The UKBA advice is to not purchase tickets until after you have the visa, but hopefully your wife's application is straightforward and you have provided all the necessary evidence so she should get her visa in time to use the ticket.

Having been watching the available appointment times over the last few weeks, my interpretation is that the gap between now and the first available date is widening and assuming a constant workload and stable staff numbers, that can only mean more applicants and potentially a longer wait.

The actual processing times for visit applications made in Bangkok for May (the latest figures available) show that 89% of decisions were made within 3 days and 99% within 15 days (see here). Remember, though, that past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

And don't forget these are actually quoted in working days..........so the 90% are effectively processed in three weeks.