Fake Usb Memory Sticks

Varrius

I Have evidence that fake memory sticks are being sold around the bus station area in Kanchanaburi. These sticks, primarily KINGSTON DATA TRAVELER 8,16,32,64 Gb units are being sold from shops as well as street stalls.The packaging appears quite good, although each item should carry a unique serial number on the rear of the card.The best way to visually tell, is that the real article will have a laser etched serial number on the metal plug that is inserted into the usb port on your computer.Fake means that the stick is only 512mb up to 2 or 4 gb but programmed and packaged to appear as 8 to 64 gb. see this website for more info http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

Good luck

Edited by Varrius

Thailand is very close to China and Chinatown in Bangkok serves as the central distribution point for all of Thailand

China is the worlds # 1 counterfeiter

Memory sticks have been counterfeited for years here probably ever since the first one came out

If you visit shops like Zeer Rangsit, Pantip etc, you will find chinese countfeits of Blackberries, IPODS, Creative Labs MP3 Players, Sony PSP players and a host of other things

Why do you think there are so many working class Thais with Blackberries?

My neighbors bought their daughter one and after holding it I could immediately tell it was a fake, same as their sons PSP player

This is life in Thailand

If you are not buying from a 100% credible source like Central or Siam Paragon, buyer beware

Kiosks and other sellers are the main culprits

You get what you pay for

Exactly, if you are not buying from a credible source, beware!

You could pay for a pair of sunglasses on the streets but why would you buy a usb memory stick on the streets??

These sticks were purchased from shops within the main shopping centre! not from a street stall, even I am not that daft.

• 2 weeks later...

There is not a lot of shopping centres in Kanchanaburi lol

I would try and ask for a refund

(I tend to believe that the retailers were not aware that they were selling fakes; Kanchanaburi is a small town)

• 3 weeks later...