Potassium Hydroxide (Koh)

QED

Rather a niche topic I know, but I promised to help a friend who is somewhat technically challenged to source some Potassium Hydroxide in LOS.

Don't ask what for, it is an experimental invention that needs testing, unfortunately we can't import the chemical compound (in liquid form) so need to recreate it here, and this is the missing ingredient.

I have exhausted google, the only possible I have found is AGS chemicals, but they supply a minimum of a 300kg barrel - at this stage we only need 1-2kg to test with.

Anyone out there using these big barrels in their business, and would be prepared to sell us a few kg's?

As far as I know this is not a controlled chemical - it is caustic potash that is used as a base for soaps etc.

Thanks for any ideas.

(by the way the title should read KOH - the chemical symbol, not Koh as in island!)

Edited by QED

If you do not need laboratory grade KOH, you can use wood ash, add water to dissolve the KOH, strain or filter to remove ash.

Or you could go to China Town.

Thanks toybits, didn't know it was that simple.

We do however need lab grade as we need to know the exact concentration.

There is a wholesale chemical supply store on Charoen Krung about 100 meters down from the 3 way intersection with Silom on the river side of the street.

You may need to purchase in 25kg bags.  You can't miss the store. It has all kinds of laboratory beakers in the window. Owner speaks English.

If you need small quantities, only store I know of is at Future Park Rangsit on the very top floor on the Central side of the mall. It all the way back in the far corner. You have to know its there or you would never find it.

BTW, you need ALOT of wood ash to make a significant amount of KOH. Yes, people used to make soap this way in the old days for personal use, but never call this method "easy" if you need any significant amount. 

At the level your obviously talking its hard to think of a reason why you can't use NaOH. However here are 2 good possibilities for stockists Ratchadammoen Klang, just up from Democracy Monument heading towards KSR there is a large school supplies shop on the right, mainly text books downstairs. On the first floor they have a science dept that carries a range of basic chemicals. A few doors down there are some lab glass shops that either carry or can supply lab grade reagents. Another possibility is on Rama 1, keep walking past National Stadium and on the same side you will come to another school supplies shop which once again may have it. The only reason why you might encounter difficulties purchasing this is that the Na counterpart is far cheaper and does the same job in most circumstances.

Thanks GregB and Roamer, I will follow those leads up and post back.

@Roamer, the application specifically requires KOH although I realise NaOH is far more abundant and cheaper, according to Wiki 100x more NaOH is commercially produced on an annual basis. As soon as we have it and test with it I will be back to let you know more details. :jap:

You could try Biodiesel manufacturers.

KOH is also used as an electrolyte/consumable in hydrogen gas generation/production...hydrogen generators come in various sizes/capacities for industrial applications, maybe something to investigate...just query a source for supply of the electrolyte consumable...

You could try Biodiesel manufacturers.

KOH is also used as an electrolyte/consumable in hydrogen gas generation/production...hydrogen generators come in various sizes/capacities for industrial applications, maybe something to investigate...just query a source for supply of the electrolyte consumable...the supplier should be able to provide a data sheet/spec for their product that you can review to see if their product suits yer purposes...

Edited by tutsiwarrior