First Time Border Run, Few Questions

I currently have a 60 days tourist visa with an extension and will make a border run at the end of next month. I have read the stickies on the front page about border runs, places to go/avoid, etc... but I have a few questions.

I figure it will be faster to fly to a neighboring country so I thought about Singapore or Malaysia. When I checked flight prices for one person it was $400 USD and $800 for two from Bangkok to Singapore. That seems really expensive to me. That was going through expedia.com and also Thai airways site. Any suggestions as to a cheap flight or destination?

I currently have a double entry visa. When I get a new 60 day visa, is there any reason to get a double entry if I don't plan on leaving? I should just be able to get another 60 day visa as I'm a US citizen (and then extend it again for 30 days at the end).

Depending on destination, can this all be done in 24 hour period or should I plan on staying overnight?

If you have any tips or suggestions, please post them. Thanks in advance :)

Also, on a side note, with the new rules I had to go to Nonthaburi Immigration to get my extension(since that is where I live). It is a small office with 3 workers and there was literally no wait. A far cry different from the Bangkok office I went to by mistake.

Edited by lostpacket

Check Air Asia or other cut rate flight prices.

You say you have a double entry visa? Have you used just the first or both entries? What is the visa expiration date? Do you need a two or single entry visa? How long more do you plan to stay?

Only Vientiane is likely to issue a two entry tourist visa. Almost all Consulates are apply morning and pick up next workday afternoon.

You say you have a double entry visa? Have you used just the first or both entries? What is the visa expiration date? Do you need a two or single entry visa? How long more do you plan to stay?
<br><br>I just used one entry. From what I understand a double entry just means I can come an go 2 times within the 60 days, correct? The visa was from May 2nd to June 30th so this week I went to get an extension which will last until July 30th. I don't plan on leaving during the 60 days as I have no business outside of Thailand (other than the border runs). I plan on staying a long time, but I'm still hunting down a job and work permit. Until I can get a job I'm stuck with visa runs. <br> Edited by lostpacket

<br><br>I just used one entry. From what I understand a double entry just means I can come an go 2 times within the 60 days, correct? The visa was from May 2nd to June 30th so this week I went to get an extension which will last until July 30th. I don't plan on leaving during the 60 days as I have no business outside of Thailand (other than the border runs). I plan on staying a long time, but I'm still hunting down a job and work permit. Until I can get a job I'm stuck with visa runs. <br>

A double entry tourist visa, with extensions, can give nearly 180 days stay. You should do a border run just before your visa expires and re-enter the Kingdom to activate your second 60 day entry. You can then later obtain a further 30 days extension from immigration. A border run from Bkk to Cambodia with a visa run company will cost 2,000 baht which includes visa for Cambodia. Search the forum for more information.

So what you are saying is that I just need to leave the country and use my visa to enter again even though it says it will expire on July 30th? (actually the extension expires the 30th of July, the visa itself was dated for May 2-June 30)<br>I thought the double entry was supposed to be within the initial 60 days.<br><br>edit:what is up with the visible html code?<br>

Edited by lostpacket

On your original Visa that you got from the Consulate it will say "Use before" "Enter before " "valid until" or something similar. Usually it will be 90 days after it was issued.

Your second entry must be made before that date.

Edited by Lite Beer

@Lite Beer, you are dead on. It says use before Oct 2010. So I basically just leave the country and then turn around and come back? No need to go to immigration for another visa, just the airport immigration to go back into Thailand?<br><br>Sorry about so many questions, this is my first time and I want to get it right.  (not to mention I will bring the Thai fiancee with me, so I don't want to have a pissed off woman next to me because I was too lazy or arrogant to ask questions :D )<br><br>thank you all for your help, as usual this forum has been invaluable <br><br>

It is your permission to stay (stamp) that allows you to remain in the country, not the visa, so by doing a border run and re-entering the Kingdom before your visa expires you can activate second 60 day entry (and then obtain further 30 day extension from immigration).

Generally they will be located in the diplomatic area of the city - which may be the center or a suburb but not normally designed to be especially close to the serving airport. But generally there will be a major airport within an hour or so drive.

Sorry to bring back an old post.

Since I have a double entry visa with only one entry used, I plan on taking a flight to Singapore and then just getting on a return flight back to Thailand. This is ok right?

A flight to Vietnam or Cambodia was cheaper, but it requires a tourist visit if from the US.

Edited by lostpacket

Yes, I will go by myself, especially since it such a simple run this time.

on a side note, any idea why I keep getting html tags in my replies? I looked for "disable html" but I don't see it.

Edited by lostpacket

• 2 weeks later...

On your original Visa that you got from the Consulate it will say "Use before" "Enter before " "valid until" or something similar. Usually it will be 90 days after it was issued.

Your second entry must be made before that date.

whats the total price to pay for Cambodia and then to reenter Thailand.